SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
Robjohnson82877
Robjohnson82877 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Cylinder 4 misfire

I have a 1997 Saturn SL1 that ran fine for two years and all of a sudden I get a misfire on cylinder 4 now I have replaced the ICM 2 coils spark plug wires and spark plugs and also have replace cylinder 4 fuel injector and I still get a misfire on cylinder 4 what could be the cause of this car ran great beforehand all of a sudden it started doing this and I can't figure out why

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robjohnson82877's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robjohnson82877 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robjohnson82877 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
gveinot
gveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2000 SL2
Default Re: Cylinder 4 misfire

how much oil does it use ? We had to retire an old and well used $400 SL2 we bought for our daughter to learn to drive on. Low Compression on Cylinder 4 was the issue. It used about a litre of oil every 500 miles. I swapped the plugs, ICM, coil packs, and plug wires, then did a compression test. Ours would start ok and once it was driven for 15 minutes the issue would happen. The engine only had 250,000km on it. I suggest you do a compression test asap. There are threads on here telling you how to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Walkop
Walkop is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robjohnson82877 View Post
I have a 1997 Saturn SL1 that ran fine for two years and all of a sudden I get a misfire on cylinder 4 now I have replaced the ICM 2 coils spark plug wires and spark plugs and also have replace cylinder 4 fuel injector and I still get a misfire on cylinder 4 what could be the cause of this car ran great beforehand all of a sudden it started doing this and I can't figure out why
As previously stated, if you want to do a compression test, I'd suggest to a Napa Auto Parts (or comparable shop) and ask to borrow a compression tester. After that, you will want to take off your spark plug boots, take out all of your spark plugs, and thread in the compression tester. Inside your car, in the passenger's compartment, there's a fuse panel cover. The fuse for your fuel pump is in there. Take it out. Then, cylinder by cylinder, use your compression tester and turn over the engine with your key until it won't turn over anymore. Then, check your pressure on the compression tester. I believe it should be over 170 PSI on every cylinder (although that MAY be SL2 spec).

Afterwards put everything back together.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Walkop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Walkop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Walkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

"... and turn over the engine with your key until it won't turn over anymore."

Whoa! That makes it sound like you want the OP to crank on one cylinder until the battery is dead. No, only crank on each cylinder for 4-5 compression strokes. Other folks differ from that, want as much as 10-15 strokes; but nobody feels you need to crank the number of strokes (50-100?) necessary to run the battery down.

Instead of going after the fuel pump relay, pull the injector fuse. It is easier to get to (in the UHJB) and more positive in stopping the fuel. Also pull the nearby EIS fuse to prevent the ignition spark. You could get by without pulling either of the fuses, of course, but it is so easy to R & R them that I always do.

It makes no difference if compression is taken with engine hot or cold, but be sure to hold the throttle wide-open when cranking to take compression.

Minimum "good" compression is 180 psi, with 200+ being more typical. If any cylinders read low, repeat the test on them a couple of more times. Sometimes a bit of crud gets caught in the gauge's little check-valves.

The battery should have a normal "full charge", no noticeable slow cranking before doing the test. But don't get too anal about charging the battery, ignore the BS you may read about charging it for "x" hours at "y" rate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote