SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Saturntrip
Saturntrip is on a distinguished road

Default Peacefull Country Roads

Just purchased a 2002 L with a 2.2 and auto t . 100239miles . Don't know if it is a L1 or L2 . No badges . I don't know the difference . The previous owner said L2 and it would shake violently and had no power so i had to tow it home ; so i did . They claimed it was scanned and the code pointed to trans problems although they couldn't remember the code . I have a 1/8 mile long driveway and i drove it up and down for 15 minutes and couldn't see any problems with the trans or the car unless the fan staying on for 3 or 4 minutes is a problem . I have had lots of cars with a timed delay fan relay . What i need to know is if the car goes into limp mode and can only be driven at reduced speed ; would i be able to clear the codes by removing the negative ground cable from the battery and then jumper the pos to the neg cable for 30 seconds to dump the ecm codes , replace neg battery cable , start the car and drive normal until the phantom problem ocurs again ? I also would like to know what max limp mode speed is or whether it is dependent on the critters ailment . That way i can do my testing safely on the peacefull country roads and stilll be able to drive home without it being towed as opposed to waiting for a tow truck on a busy , rainy road . Id be gratefull for any help . Thanks eh !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturntrip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturntrip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturntrip is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Peacefull Country Roads

Check the other similar post for my reply.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

With the 2.2 engine your car is most likely an L200. Would this not show on the car's registration certificate?

The cooling fan(s) should not run on after a 15 minute engine run. There are a few things that could cause this. The ECM seems to respond this way when there are things wrong in the temperature control and warm-up of the engine.

A problem in the transmission is unlikely to affect the smoothness that the engine runs with.

There is no "limp-home" mode for the 2.2 engine. It has a throttle cable to a good old throttle plate. You move your foot and it runs faster.

You appear to have purchased this car cheaply from a private seller with the knowledge that it doesn't run well. So you need to either repair it yourself or get someone to do it for you. Is the check engine light illuminated? If so you can either purchase or borrow a code reader and report the results to this forum. Did the engine run smoothly during your driveway testing? It is unlikely you could go fast enough to test the transmission very well.

Normally, you should be able to clear fault codes by disconnecting the battery as you proposed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Saturntrip

Happy Re: Peacefull Country Roads

Fdryer ; I have read most of your other posts mainly about MAF and they make sense . I haven't encountered the problem personally . The previous owner just gave a vague description of the problem . I just want to know what approx max speed i can get out of limp mode so i can get home on back country roads without added cost of tow truck . If i clean the MAF sensor before driving car I might get lucky and fix the problem and always wonder if I did fix it ; an uneasy mental state to be in 300 miles from home . I don't mind going thru the forums and have thru most . I can't seem to find anyone with knowledge of max limp speed . I need to test the car first . Thanks for return .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturntrip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
Saturntrip

I have read most of the threads on this car and it seems that whatever happens when a tranny gets weird this car goes into a low power mode and off to the side of the road we go . I don't see any posts that anyone had to call a tow truck . It seem like all the cars with ("trans"' wink wink problems ) will start and run again normally 99% of the time . I guess i will just have to get in the car in the morning and take my chances . Thanks everyone .......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm guessing that you didn't read my other post in regards to your car not having limp home mode. This also means your engine doesn't have a maf sensor......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Saturntrip

Dizzy Re: Peacefull Country Roads

Fdryer : Must have missed your posts saying that . Born again informed me of that a few replies back . Ok ; Since the maf sensor which i don't have in my car since it is a 2.2 ; is the cause of most transmission problems in L-series and easiest to fix maybe the next step is to change that PCS solenoid in the trans . According to the posts that is the second likely candidate for L-series trans problems . Haven't seen any SES codes yet . Also ; I know 2.2 ECOTEC interchanges with many other cars . Do any of the transmissions out of the other cars interchange with the Saturn ? It's 9:30 am now and at 10;30 i am going to take it for a ride and see if it even has a problem . Thanks again .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Saturntrip

Happy Re: Peacefull Country Roads

Just returned from giving the car a real hard workout for 1and1/2 hours . Up hill , down hills , with cruise on and off , with traction control on and off . Can't seem to find anything abnormal . No codes . Runs perfect . I wonder if some disreputable repair shop was working the girl over ? Thanks everyone for all your help . Hope i can return the favor someday .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Congratulations. Enjoy the pleasure of driving the L with its great handling. Do yourself a favour and put GOOD tires on it. The L Series hates cheap tires and will eat them up and spit them out. With whats available now I would probably go with the General Exclaim UHP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote