SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
WhaleBiologist
WhaleBiologist is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Battery Drain

something seems to be draining the battery in my 2000 SL2
when i use a multimeter on the battery i get a .3-4amp draw with nothing in the car on. if i remove the Radio(Bat) fuse from the inside panel it drops to 0.034amp draw. could this be draining the battery? i replaced the battery and it ran for about a week, went out one morning to have the car unlock from the fob but everything died when i tried to start it, now nothing turns on.

any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WhaleBiologist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WhaleBiologist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WhaleBiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Battery Drain

Yes, the problem is something that is powered by the Radio(bat) fuse. Look in the owners' manual and it lists the loads powered by each fuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
WhaleBiologist

2000 SL2

owners manual says its "Radio/Clock Memory"
im gonna venture a guess and say i can still drive with this unplugged, i just wont have a radio.

now to figure out why in the last few days it started drawing power.

i wonder if it has something to do with the battery dieing wile it sat unused for 3 months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WhaleBiologist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That kind of a battery discharge is not good for the battery but if its charged up again the battery should survive. Is this an aftermarket head unit by any chance?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
WhaleBiologist

2000 SL2

its an aftermarket radio.
the old ones cd player died.
its been in there for well over a year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The issue with the aftermarket radios is like the OEM there are 2 independent power feeds, one switched by the ignition and one that is direct connect through a fuse to the battery. In the OEM design the continuous source of power maintains the station memory and powers the internal clock and nothing else.The main radio electronics are powered through the switched power feed and this 'turns on the radio". In the generic aftermarket design the switched feed only turns on the radio all other power is supplied through the continuous power source. In simple language the OEM design the switched source is the high current source and the continuous feed is the low current source. This loading is reversed with the aftermarket designs. Aftermarket units can degrade over time as the switching on/off is done through solid state devices and they get old and leak.

With the Radio(bat) fuse out, I would monitor the parasitic load for a week or so and if it stays in the 30mA range I would suspect that he radio is guilty of killing your battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
WhaleBiologist

2000 SL2

Thanks for the info.
Is driving with the fuse unhooked bad?
and what's the remaining 30mA from?

I appreciate the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1

There could even possibly be a short anywhere there is a cable coming of the positive end of the battery before running into a relay or a cable going into a device like the memory wire for the radio they were talking about

2001 SL1 5spd - DOHC swap and MS in the works
Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajs_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajs_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajs_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleBiologist View Post
Thanks for the info.
Is driving with the fuse unhooked bad?
and what's the remaining 30mA from?

I appreciate the help.
Normal internal loads, PCM, BCM, and fog lamp switch on even with key off. You are a bit on the high side at 30mA but you want to fix these things one at a time. The alternator can be another parasitic load and that may be the majority of the 30mA. If you want to check the alternator disconnect the fusible link at the starter and then unplug the alternator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!