SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default battery drain

My (interstate) battery is about 2 years old.
I just did the starter recently (october), and iirc I charged the battery at that time.
I use torque/OBD and have an innova scanner, and NEITHER one will show me the battery voltage. So I periodically have to check with a MM because I sometimes go a week or 2 without driving, and it's always short distance.

It's been a week or 2 since I drove the car, and just measured 7.6V with my MM. Had enough juice to be able to get the power door unlock/alarm with the fob. I do keep the OBD scanner unplugged. Occasionally my door doesn't get closed all the way, and that was not the case here. In those cases I think the battery usually measures 0V?(I have also turned the dome light off, I don't remember if that makes a difference with the door)

So why is my battery so low, but not dead?

I have had this nagging feeling for a while that I have battery issues, but it's kind of hard to monitor - because the OBD doesn't show me the value and I drive so infrequently.

Added bonus - my battery charger is squealing/buzzing, and just out of warranty.
It indicates I have it connected properly (attaching the neg is always tricky for me) but the light that shows it is actively charging hasn't come on. I think it takes a while when the battery is so low, but that noise is a bit worrysome.

1999 SL2 MANUAL ~76K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Melissa_M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa_M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links