SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Clare
Clare is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Ok to use Lucas trans fix in Saturn Vue?

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue with transmission problems... it slips but is still drivable. I was hoping to try the Lucas transmission fix to prolong the life of my transmission while I decide what to do (e.g. work out how much its worth/sell it).

I went to autozone today to buy the Lucas fluid, however, the store manager pointed out that the directions indicate that the Lucas fluid is not compatible with a CVT transmission (which he thought I had). Is there an alternative to the Lucas fluid that would work with my Saturn Vue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Clare's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Clare reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Clare is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Ok to use Lucas trans fix in Saturn Vue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post
I have a 2008 Saturn Vue?
I thought the CVT/VTi was only for a few years early 2000's= not '08

I would think a full syn ATF would do the job. DEXRON VI rated. Do a drain
and fill( then repeat a few dozen miles later) prior to any magic gogo juice, if needed.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156098

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;...=yhs-fh_lsonsw

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
LaboysToy
LaboysToy is just really niceLaboysToy is just really niceLaboysToy is just really niceLaboysToy is just really nice

2008 VUE 2.4L

The 2008 and up Vue's do not have the CVT, If you have a 2.4L it comes with a 4 speed auto and if you have the 3.5 or 3.6L It has a 6 speed transmission, some of them have a recall for the wave plate, check https://my.gm.com/recalls?eVar18=IS_website to see if your VUE has a recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post
I have a 2008 Saturn Vue with transmission problems... it slips but is still drivable. I was hoping to try the Lucas transmission fix to prolong the life of my transmission while I decide what to do (e.g. work out how much its worth/sell it).

I went to autozone today to buy the Lucas fluid, however, the store manager pointed out that the directions indicate that the Lucas fluid is not compatible with a CVT transmission (which he thought I had). Is there an alternative to the Lucas fluid that would work with my Saturn Vue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LaboysToy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LaboysToy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LaboysToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
panchovilla
panchovilla is on a distinguished road

I used engine lucas oil when I change my engine oil , and it seems it works very well, and also I used lucas transmission fluid the one to stop the leaks , because I did have a problem with my transmission leaking on the bottom gasket of the trany, and yes, it did stop the leaking on my transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to panchovilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help panchovilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
panchovilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:37 AM   #5
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 will become famous soon enoughgm7 will become famous soon enough

2009 VUE Red Line

Will weigh in and say any trans oil with additive to prevent leaks or slippage will have long term consequences to transmission function. Snake oil. Same for engine oil additives for 'high wear' engines. Anybody who uses it in a trans or engine is playing roulette. There is no panacea for mechanical wear or failure. No fluid will fix this. Also the same that fdryer writes about AC and additives added to refrigerant to stop leakage. Typically additives to stop leaking will disrupt function longer term. This stuff is marketed for those that don't know any better and many fluid manufacturers have been sued relentlessly and for good reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaboysToy View Post
The 2008 and up Vue's do not have the CVT, If you have a 2.4L it comes with a 4 speed auto and if you have the 3.5 or 3.6L It has a 6 speed transmission, some of them have a recall for the wave plate, check https://my.gm.com/recalls?eVar18=IS_website to see if your VUE has a recall
The wave plate issue is not a recall, just an extended warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles. I have my Vue in for that and waiting to see what they find and how much it will cost me. My warranty ended on July 12th, however, my 10 year date of the vehicle in my possession was July 17th - the day I took delivery. When I did the paperwork, the car was still in plastic.

Hopefully GM will work with me on this.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #7
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Good luck Homer with the repair. Hopefully GM will at least pro rate your repair and give you a price break.
How many miles did yours fail?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
homerec130

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm7 View Post
Good luck Homer with the repair. Hopefully GM will at least pro rate your repair and give you a price break.
How many miles did yours fail?
89,900 and it was AZ driving. Tranny fluid had been changed at around 35 and 65K. Was just thinking the other day it was time to do it again. In the process of playing telephone tag with them to see what they really found.

This one is really grounds for consideration seeing as it was within 10 years of the time I received the car. The day I did the paperwork it was still covered in plastic after having been unloaded. First time I drove an 08 was when I drove this one home.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Good luck Homer. My '09 Vue Redline which just turned 40K miles I also bought new...with one trans fluid change I personally performed....still shifts flawlessly...but the metallurgy of that no.3 clutch pack is a lottery of course and failure comes out of nowhere.

Please share with us what they do for you and hoping they don't chicken***** you over for being modestly over the warranty time period.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 07-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
homerec130

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Good luck Homer. My '09 Vue Redline which just turned 40K miles I also bought new...with one trans fluid change I personally performed....still shifts flawlessly...but the metallurgy of that no.3 clutch pack is a lottery of course and failure comes out of nowhere.

Please share with us what they do for you and hoping they don't chicken***** you over for being modestly over the warranty time period.
To continue this part of the thread - got off the phone with the dealer and it has a bad wave plate. It will cost $4648 out the door for a sealed transmission with a 3 year/100k mile warranty or $4776 to repair it with a one year warranty. Needless to say the plan it to replace the whole thing. Dealer said it is outside the special warranty. Service folks recommended I call gm customer service.

Talked to customer service and pled my case. The gal took my info and which option I wanted (new) and said she would escalate it to the AZ senior service advisor. Provided her with the repair order date, towing date (did it thru Onstar so there is a record) as well as any other info they need. Also emphasized I have been a GM owner for over 20 years and 7 vehicles (all Saturns). Made no demands, just waiting to see what they come back with.

Wish me luck and open to suggestions.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #11
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Good luck bro. Don't know your wrenching skills but $4K + on these cars is unacceptable and I know you could get it done for 1/2 that...if you went for a repair versus replacement if they don't cover you.

There have been a few that have changed the clutch pack themselves. Not for the feint of heart however and you need garage space and there will be down time. Then it comes down to how much of a mess is inside the trans if you don't pull the trans and just change the clutch packs. The filter on these transmissions is sandwiched between the two casting halves of the trans body.

Another option is find a used transmission and have it shipped to your door. A lot easier to change the clutch pack pre-emptively. Then you can pay a trans shop to put the trans in your car. Not a small job to replace the trans because dropping the cradle is advised. A great asset to this forum I haven't heard from recently is satlite440 who uploaded pics of changing the trans if you dig around. You could contact him...he is a trans expert that works for a GM dealership...send him a PM and ask for advice.

Hopefully they will cover you at a respectable level.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 07-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #12
homerec130

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Good luck bro. Don't know your wrenching skills but $4K + on these cars is unacceptable and I know you could get it done for 1/2 that...if you went for a repair versus replacement if they don't cover you.

There have been a few that have changed the clutch pack themselves. Not for the feint of heart however and you need garage space and there will be down time. Then it comes down to how much of a mess is inside the trans if you don't pull the trans and just change the clutch packs. The filter on these transmissions is sandwiched between the two casting halves of the trans body.

Another option is find a used transmission and have it shipped to your door. A lot easier to change the clutch pack pre-emptively. Then you can pay a trans shop to put the trans in your car. Not a small job to replace the trans because dropping the cradle is advised. A great asset to this forum I haven't heard from recently is Satelite440 who uploaded pics of changing the trans if you dig around.

Hopefully they will cover you at a respectable level.
My wrenching skills aren't the greatest (nil) but I do some mean audio work. :-). We talked about whether to dump it or not, but it is running real well and if I can get a few more years I will be happy. My wife's car is the one to be replaced first (2006 Vue).

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #13
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerec130 View Post
My wrenching skills aren't the greatest (nil) but I do some mean audio work. :-). We talked about whether to dump it or not, but it is running real well and if I can get a few more years I will be happy. My wife's car is the one to be replaced first (2006 Vue).
If you don't get good news from GM, then a PM to satlite440 would be your next best step. He can suggest what your best options are to repair the car.
Good luck Homer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 04-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
Oscar Moreno
Oscar Moreno is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Great ingo guys I think I'm having the same issues with my transmission but after I did a Transmission oil flush and gaskets rerplaced it has been running better. It only slips if I don't let the engine warm up and the RPM is still over 1000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oscar Moreno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oscar Moreno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oscar Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote