SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
dave.sl
Advanced Member
dave.sl has a spectacular aura aboutdave.sl has a spectacular aura about

Default Thank you and timing chain question

Hello everyone. New member. First thank you to wolfman's posts on ects diagnosis/replacement. I was able to take care of that problem and my 98 SL (78k) is running fine now. Recently, I have noticed the "diesel" noise on upgrades and when the car is lugging a little. I suspect worn timing chain. Not too noticeable with windows up. Nothing at cruising speeds or at idle. Any input appreciated. Also the brake rotors are definitely warped and I am real easy on this car. Are they noted for this? I bought this car 3 years ago with 36k on it. So far aside from regular tuneups, just the crank sensor and two ects repairs. (I now have the updated brass one). Guess I am spoiled with my 4 toyota Celicas that rarely need repairs though parts are very high compared to Saturn. Love the plastic panels and plan to keep the car in top shape and for a long time. Finally, what are thoughts on switching to mobil 1 10w-30. Thanks in advance for reply.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dave.sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dave.sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2004, 02:26 PM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Thank you and timing chain question

Quote:
Originally posted by dave.sl
Recently, I have noticed the "diesel" noise on upgrades and when the car is lugging a little.
Would you rephase that, please?

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2004, 03:55 PM   #3
dave.sl
Advanced Member

My 98 SL runs fine but sounds like it has a diesel engine (not pinging) on uphill with engine lugging a little. Do not notice it when the car isn't moving. Also do not hear the noise at any steady speed or decelerating. Most pronounced in third or fourth gear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dave.sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

replacing motor mounts is always a good place to start when thrumming noises are noticed........if they are original, 78k miles may be enough to wear them out. Not too expensive or hard to do either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2004, 08:24 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Timing chains tend to be more noisey at idle. Not to say that they don't make noise at higher RPM's or driving but at idle they do shine--noise wise. Noises being very hard to figure out here it may be limited what we can do for you.

The conditions that you describe the noise happening under are classic predetonation/knocking/pinging conditions. Try switching fuels, fuel grades, running some techron through the fuel system. Perhaps an engine decarb service of some kind. If you feel it is a mechanical noise it may be worth while taking it to a shop (Saturn??) taking some one for a test drive to make the noise happen and get their opinion.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2004, 09:25 PM   #6
dave.sl
Advanced Member

Thanks. will try the above. Been awhile since I ran techron thru. Will try one tank higher octane too and see if any difference. In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy the car. Like the simplicity. Closest I could get to the early 60's cars I am used to working on and no power steering doesn't bother me. Also after all of the posts about bad upper mounts, I went out and gave mine a good look. Looks/feels fine. Put some rubber conditioner on the rubber part of the mount. Hopefully that won't hurt anything and may delay the rubber cracking. This car originally came from upstate New York and hopefully I got to it before the salt up there did too much damage. This is a 98 and the first week I had it 3 years ago, the muffler clamp rotted right off. Replaced under warranty but it was comical to watch the toyota mechanics trying to figure out how to put the new one from Saturn on. )Car was bought used from Toyota dealer. ) Thanks again for the replies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2004, 09:32 PM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

If you bought the car with 36k on the clock, it is a fair bet that the OEM front brake rotors are still on it. That being the case, replacing the front rotors with NON OEM "cheap chinese" rotors (About $20 each) and new pads will solve the warping problem permanantly most likely. Turn them or put new OEM's back on, and it will be back. A search of the board under "front brake rotors" or "warped rotors" will reveal all you'd ever want to know.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
dave.sl
Advanced Member

Thanks. Will take care of that shortly. Just not used to rotors wearing out on the other cars. Think I can handle the price at AZ or similar though. Read your other post about the guide pin lube etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread