SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #1
Hermon 207
Hermon 207 is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 SC2 asphalt circle track

So I recently picked my the "blue rocket" and got it stripped, put door bars in(a requirement for racing), and an aluminum racing seat. Didn't get an opportunity to do any practice laps or do any setup before I raced. The car did very well. Did 4 25 lap races. 2 races were turning right and 2 turning left. Ended up 3rd for the overall event.
I was wondering what modifications, motor and suspension, can be done without being obvious because it's suppose to be stock, but this is racing after all and everyone pushes the rules.
Thank you all for any help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hermon 207's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hermon 207 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hermon 207 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2
Default Re: 2000 SC2 asphalt circle track

Flat faced valves, adjustable cam sprockets, under drive pulleys, remove mechanical water pump for electric, replace exhaust camshaft with intake version, 91-92 header, amongst other stuff I can't think of off the top of my mind. Other then that more advanced weight savings such as drilling/pressing criticality placed holes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermon 207 View Post
So I recently picked my the "blue rocket" and got it stripped, put door bars in(a requirement for racing), and an aluminum racing seat. Didn't get an opportunity to do any practice laps or do any setup before I raced. The car did very well. Did 4 25 lap races. 2 races were turning right and 2 turning left. Ended up 3rd for the overall event.
I was wondering what modifications, motor and suspension, can be done without being obvious because it's suppose to be stock, but this is racing after all and everyone pushes the rules.
Thank you all for any help
Removal of your A/C system will aid with weight reduction and improve engine performance slightly(1-2HP). Total weight savings are around 25-30lbs and is not cheating because non-A/C was a factory option.

Your suspension is already responsive and more than adequate for the weight of your vehicle.

You can change to NGK spark plugs that are heat range "6", which are OEM plugs. Once again, it is an OEM replacement part, so it is not cheating.

You can get a manual rack and pinion from the SOHC models. Turning ratios vary. Once again, manual rack and pinion was a factory option. Once again, not cheating.

You can't use the 1991-1992 Exhaust manifold, due to your cylinder head having a different design. However, if you are willing to spend the money for the head work, you can install the 1991-1992 Intake/Exhaust valves. They are flat-faced, as opposed to dished ones from 1993-2002. This will bump up your compression by about 0.2 points. Unleaded premium fuel is not required, BUT is recommended at that point. And if you get charged with a tech teardown, they will be able to tell this has been done, and you will be disqualified for cheating.

You can convert the drum brakes over to disc brakes, as this was another factory option available, and wouldn't be considered cheating.

Unless they check your Service Parts Identification tag, on the spare tire cover, they will never know any of the "modifications" are not stock on your specific model.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:05 AM   #4
Hermon 207

Thank you so much for the input. Looking forward to this coming year and seeing what I can do with the car. Not going to lie, before this race I made fun of a friend that races a Saturn. And going into this past race I wasn't expecting much. But it sure showed me and I'm really hoping to do more with it. It currently weighs, post race, 2246lbs without me in it and Jay over a half tank of fuel. I've only got to weigh 2050lbs post race so this winter I'll be working on getting it a little lighter and making it faster than it currently is.
Any other tips, pointers, advice, etc that will help I'll soak up like a sponge

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hermon 207 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Well, in terms of weight reduction, Medtactics had posted how much weight was saved by everything he removed from his car, which was 122lbs. No interior or seats, no speakers, no radio, no trim. Remove the carpet from the trunk, the spare cover, the spare, and the jack. De-power your rack 'n' pinion i order to remove the P/S pump and lines(requires a ribbed idler pulley $56.99 @ AutoZone.com). Cut the muffler off(leave the resonator in place). And plan on drilling some big holes through your space frame. Remove all the carpeting inside the car, as well. That insulation and carpet is actually a lot of weight. Remove the radio antenna

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
Hermon 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Well, in terms of weight reduction, Medtactics had posted how much weight was saved by everything he removed from his car, which was 122lbs. No interior or seats, no speakers, no radio, no trim. Remove the carpet from the trunk, the spare cover, the spare, and the jack. De-power your rack 'n' pinion i order to remove the P/S pump and lines(requires a ribbed idler pulley $56.99 @ AutoZone.com). Cut the muffler off(leave the resonator in place). And plan on drilling some big holes through your space frame. Remove all the carpeting inside the car, as well. That insulation and carpet is actually a lot of weight. Remove the radio antenna
I haven't done p/s yet. That's on my to do list. Guess I'm not sure what the holes and space frame are. But the rest of that is done. The windshield is being replaced with lexan. I've got to gut the hood, truck lid and doors still.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

When you pull the fenders, quarter panels, and the door skins you will see the "space frame" underneath(GMs fancy name for a roll cage/unitbody). You can drill holes in the floor pan from front to rear, if you want to get really finicky about saving as much weight as possible. My friend did that with his SL2 that he races 3/8-mile circle track(dirt). I don't really know how it males a big difference, but it works for him. He also switched the plastic body panels out for riveted 20-gauge sheet metal(kinda like a redneck NASCAR concept). Surprisingly, the flat sheet metal panels were better for the dirt track than plastic. He said is car was estimated at 1,700lbs with everything he had done to it.

I don't know what all your rules are, so I merely throwing out what I have seen. I do not know nor guarantee my ideas are legal for your circuit, nor do I guarantee they will work for autocross, as they are used on a dirt circle track.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #8
Hermon 207

Not overly concerned about breaking the rules. I'll pick and choose what I do with what I think I can get away with. But I'm certainly appreciative of the ideas!!! I know the Honda's and the Cavalier's secrets. So learning the Saturn's is nice. Hoping it can outperform those.
One other question I've got. I want to do away with the key for starting and go to ignition switch and push button start. Any issues doing that with the passlock system?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #9
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Yes. Passlock requires the key on Gen II-up Passlock systems. Passlock Gen-I you could break the ignition switch and column lock, use a screw driver to turn the switch to the "RUN" position and hot wire jump the starter. I did it once, on a 1997 Monte Carlo that had no key, and we sold the engine out of it, so it was needed for testing.

So, if you find a way to bypass the BCM/Passlock system to the fuel pump/ignition system/starter, it may be possible. However, with that passlock system and the BCM being present, it will be easiest to keep the ignition as is.

Making any kind of mistakes with passlock will result in your vehicle being disabled, and dealerships charge pretty hefty to reprogram a BCM and cut the keys for Passlock II

REWARD EXCELLENCE!