SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-13-2020, 03:59 AM   #1
cuetip
cuetip is a splendid one to beholdcuetip is a splendid one to beholdcuetip is a splendid one to beholdcuetip is a splendid one to beholdcuetip is a splendid one to beholdcuetip is a splendid one to behold

1997 SW1
Sad P1599 and P0340

The other day I was driving up a moderately steep hill with the AC on when suddenly my car lost power and started shuttering and shaking. It felt and sounded like one or more of the cylinders wasn't firing. No SES light. I was pretty far away from home so I decided to have a tow truck give me and my car a ride home. When I got home I hooked up a scanner and pulled a P0340 code. I didn't do anything more.

The next day I took out the spark plugs, plug wires, coils and ICM. Plugs were in decent shape. Gap was in spec, only some very minor carbon fouling on them. Plug wires seemed to be in good shape. No corrosion, cuts, or burn marks. Resistance was below 12k ohms on all. I measured the coil pack resistance. Both were in spec at 8.31k ohms and 8.38k ohms. No corrosion on the towers or bolt hole collars. ICM passed the visual inspection. No corrosion anywhere on it. Bolts were in new condition. No corrosion. Transmission bell housing mounting was also corrosion/dirt free.

The plugs, plug wires, coils, ICM, and bolts have all been changed within the last 5 years. A few years ago the ICM crapped out on me completely while driving on the highway. I replaced it with a used ICM and haven't had any ignition issues until now. The air filter is dirty, so I'm going to replace that soon.

Today I went for a drive around town and stopped at a light and the same thing happened. This time I pulled off to the side of the road and popped the hood. I didn't turn off the engine. I was going to pull one spark plug wire at a time to see which cylinders weren't firing, but the problem went away before I could do it. The engine shook violently, like it was about to die, then it was fine as if nothing had happened. Still no SES light. I was able to drive to a nearby store then home without issue. My car had lots of pep before and after the incident. The AC was not on at any point.

When I got home I checked the codes again. P0340 was still there, but P1599 appeared. I know P0340 on our cars is "cylinder detect signal missing" and is related to a missing cam pulse. But on our cars, there is no cam position sensor. Instead the ICM uses compression sense ignition technology by using capacitive pickup plates under the 1/4 coil to monitor whether #1 or #4 fired on a compression stroke.

Engine temp was fine both times. No blue or white smoke. No issues cranking. I did smell a strong sulfur odor the first time it happened. Curiously enough, #2 spark plug smelled very strongly of sulfur and had some gray ash deposits on it. None of the others did. I cleaned it and all the other plugs off before reinstalling.

A list of some of the possibly relevant stuff that's been replaced/fixed within the last five years. Work was done by me unless specified otherwise:
  • Fuel pump replaced (with BOSCH unit bench tested by a Bosch engineer [long story])
  • Fuel pressure regulator
  • Fuel filter
  • Original fuel injectors rebuilt (done by local reputable guy in town a few years ago)
  • New battery
  • Primary engine wire harness replaced with NOS harness matched to VIN
  • Secondary engine wire harness replaced with NOS harness matched to VIN
  • All temp sensors replaced with OEM brass tip type
  • Cleaned all ground points in and around the engine
  • New plugs (NGK 7755) (2 or 3 years ago? I don't do a lot of driving)
  • New OEM plug wires (2 or 3 years ago?)
  • New OEM coils a few years ago
  • Used OEM ICM a few years ago

I'm not great with electrical issues and this seems like one. I'd rather not throw parts at the problem if I can help it so I'd like to troubleshoot as much as I can
cuetip is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: P1599 and P0340

I would clean out the throttle body, TPS and IAC.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:59 PM   #3
cuetip
cuetip is a splendid one to beholdcuetip is a splendid one to beholdcuetip is a splendid one to beholdcuetip is a splendid one to beholdcuetip is a splendid one to beholdcuetip is a splendid one to behold

1997 SW1
Default Re: P1599 and P0340

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
I would clean out the throttle body, TPS and IAC.
It was none of the above. It ended up being the ICM. I confirmed by following this guide: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=489512.

I replaced the plugs and wires too. My girl runs like a dream now
cuetip is offline   Reply With Quote