SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
Waterboy
Waterboy is on a distinguished road

Default Night time running lights and dash lights fail

First off its a 1994 sc2.My rear night time running lights have stopped working all my dash light have stopped working.And on top of that my flip ups that where in perfect working order have stoped working.Any ideal where i should start looking?All fuse's are good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waterboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waterboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Night time running lights and dash lights fail

Be absolutely sure (by removing and testing) every fuse is good then if you have rust anywhere, to examine every ground connection related to the rear brake lights, dash lights, and motorized flip-up lights. Other than normal wear and tear or corrosion on the ends of some wiring carrying power (95%) the ground wiring may be a common problem to all this. Just my 2-cents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Flip ups don't work, dash lights don't work, flip ups don't come up. So what you're saying is nothing happens when you turn on the headlights right? Bad headlight switch?

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
Waterboy

Theirs not a ground issue a ground issue for the rear lights its the other way around.Eveything worked prior to tonight i checked all fuses with an multimeter.Headlights still work they just do not go up and down automaticly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waterboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
vtsl2
Advanced Member
vtsl2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SL2

im willing to bet its a fuse, happened to me once

SATURNS ROCK: THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY
99 sc2m mine
94 sl2m my sons
10 ford Taurus with paddle shift(cool)
99 sw2a converted to manuel
02 chevy Silverado extened cab stepside
99 sl2m retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vtsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vtsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vtsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Waterboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsl2 View Post
im willing to bet its a fuse, happened to me once
as ive said the fuses are good this is not my first time working in this car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Waterboy

bump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Night time running lights=park lights??

Assuming that it is the park lights do the front park lights work?
Fuses checked with a test light? I prefer it over a multimeter.
Both fuse blocks? Every one is asking about the fuses because they are the first obvious thing and there have been more than a couple of people to insist that the fuses are OK only to have to eat their words later.
Have you checked the wires from the turn signal stalk/headlamp switch into the steering column?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
Waterboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Night time running lights=park lights??

Assuming that it is the park lights do the front park lights work?
Fuses checked with a test light? I prefer it over a multimeter.
Both fuse blocks? Every one is asking about the fuses because they are the first obvious thing and there have been more than a couple of people to insist that the fuses are OK only to have to eat their words later.
Have you checked the wires from the turn signal stalk/headlamp switch into the steering column?
the front lights work the das and tail lights and filp ups dont

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
DaMadKat
DaMadKat is on a distinguished road

ok I just bought this 97 sc2 I am having the same problem with the dash and dome lights and the night time running lights and tail lights I found the 10 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood was fried so I replaced it, it fried within seconds, checked what wiring I could didn't see any freyed or damaged wired, not sure what to do any help would be greatly appreiciated gotta fix this since I work evenings

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DaMadKat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DaMadKat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DaMadKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMadKat View Post
ok I just bought this 97 sc2 I am having the same problem with the dash and dome lights and the night time running lights and tail lights I found the 10 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood was fried so I replaced it, it fried within seconds, checked what wiring I could didn't see any freyed or damaged wired, not sure what to do any help would be greatly appreiciated gotta fix this since I work evenings
Please don't dig up 4 year old threads to ask a question, even though this one was somewhat relevant to your question. His issue was actually different than yours, as he didn't have a blown fuse, and you do. Your issue is the classic "someone replaced the radio with an aftermarket one and didn't properly insulate the wires (including the two unused by most aftermarket stereos)" issue. Assuming you have an aftermarket stereo headunit, pull it out, and put electrical tape over the ends of the two unused wires, and make sure the used wires are properly insulated as well.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
DaMadKat
DaMadKat is on a distinguished road

thank you for you reply Wasn't sure how to place new question, yes there is a aftermarket radio I will check the wires and tape them thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DaMadKat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DaMadKat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DaMadKat is offline   Reply With Quote