SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
gregorye70
gregorye70 is on a distinguished road

Default 97 SW2 Strut replacement

A while back the front struts on my SW2 started making a knocking noise when I turn the wheel and accelerate from a stop. they don't do this at speed. I was told it would be a good idea to replace the struts soon but that this noise is actually being made by a part at the top of the strut. I'm going to try to replace the struts myself, when I buy the replacement strut assembly will this part come with it... is this the strut mount??? If anyone has any prior experience with this your answers would be greatly appreciated.

I finally replaced both front struts and their accompanying top strut mounts that bolt to the tower, however it made no difference and the suspension is still making the same noise I mentioned in the first post.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this noise? soneone on another forum suggested it might be a bad motor mount, is it more likely to be a lower motor mount than an upper?

thanks,
Greg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregorye70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregorye70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregorye70 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
angelaw
angelaw is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2002 SL2
Default Re: 97 SW2 Strut replacement

You might have the strut mounts on wrong. A couple of people have installed them wrong, including myself. I have pictures in my gallery of strut mounts the right way and the wrong way. If it's the wrong way, it squeaks and makes all sorts of noise. I'd check that before spending the money for a lower mount. Now if you replaced the upper mount, I personally would've done the lower one at the same time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to angelaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help angelaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Does it make noise when you steer the wheels while the car is stopped, or only when you're accelerating and steering at the same time? If it's the latter, are you sure it's suspension? A noise at that moment is typically associated with a bad CV joint.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
gregorye70

The CV joint was my second guess, and yes it only happens when the car is turning and accelerating.

Any tips that I won't find in my Haynes manual on changing out a constant velocity joint?

Thanks -Greg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gregorye70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Is the pop/click repetitive as long as you are turning? If you go to a large parking lot and turn a consistent radius circle at a constant speed does it continue to pop/click at the same frequency? Is the frequency of the pop/click speed dependent? If the answer to all 3 is YES then its a CV joint. Saturn CV joints rarely fail unless the boot is torn. Check the joints for torn boots.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
gregorye70

Thanks, I'll try that.

It is most pronounce when I turn the wheel and back up or drive forward up an incline. Occasionally it happens when I'm on a flat surface, I doubt it will be a constant clicking. I didn't notice any tears in the boot while I was putting the new struts on.

is it normal to replace the bracket that attaches the strut to the wheel at the same time you replace the strut mount and bearing that attaches to the tower?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I think you are asking about replacing the wheel hub. No, you do not replace it.

The CV joint will make noise when it is making any turn usually in either direction. Bump sensitive noises are wheel bearing, lower control arm, or roll bar bushings. These are not easy to locate. The bushings can be inspected and if bad will be visibly bad.

There is also a short axle jack shaft on the right side that can experience bearing failure.

Bad bearings may also only make noise when a bump is hit and a turn is being made. That is most often a wheel bearing. If you think there is a bad wheel bearing, replace both sides at the same time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote