SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 11:41 AM   #1
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Saturn lineup ad shown on saturnfans

Here's my take on that Saturn lineup picture Charlie posted on the main page. The VUE front end looks mean and aggressive, and has the traditional Saturn styling cues that I think they should have kept. The ION's bumper is too curved, making the car look like it's smiling or something. The L Series looks the worst - that front end just looks ungainly. Everything is out of proportion, and overall the car looks awkward. I still can't stand what they did to that car.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2002, 12:00 PM   #2
Plastic Gravity

Default Re: Saturn lineup ad shown on saturnfans

Quote:
Originally posted by VTHOKIE97SL2
Here's my take on that Saturn lineup picture Charlie posted on the main page. The VUE front end looks mean and aggressive, and has the traditional Saturn styling cues that I think they should have kept. The ION's bumper is too curved, making the car look like it's smiling or something. The L Series looks the worst - that front end just looks ungainly. Everything is out of proportion, and overall the car looks awkward. I still can't stand what they did to that car.
You're my hero! I agree. I wouldn't call the VUE aggressive, but it does look purposefull, and it LOOKS LIKE A SATURN. The L looks NOTHING like a Saturn(it looks generic Asian), and the ION Sedan(at least they didn't put the hideous Qrud Coupe in the ad) could use some work.

Old 07-14-2002, 04:45 PM   #3
socketz
socketz is on a distinguished road

I agree with PG on the new L, the front does look a little more Asian than it does domestic, which may not be a bad thing in the long run.

I saw one of these while I was on vacation visiting relatives in MD (they don't exist in SoCal yet), and up close, the front end kind of grows on you an takes on a classier look than I thought it would. The G35 has a similar sort of "wrap around" headlight as the new L.

Personally, I'm not found of the back with the horizontal chrome strip....looks like a Buick/Taurus of some kind. While Buick and Taurus' aren't bad cars, they are a bit more conservative and marketed towards older drivers.

Still not sure if I like the way they leveled the car by raising the front and lowering the back. Once again, this gives the car a more conservative look.

IMHO - The new factory 16s aren't as nice as the 15s that come on the 2002. The new 16s look painted, where I prefer the polished rims on the 2002 (just wish they were 16s).

Overall, I think the new Ls look nice if I'd never seen/owned one of the older ones - but the previous years are a bit more youthful and European looking, which suits my taste a little better.

I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention to the interior - I heard it was alot nicer on the 2003s.

Overall, I think it will do better because of the new styling, however, not in the 20-low 30 something crowd. This appears to truly be Saturn's answer to the Camry.

Even the way they've optioned the thing.

Socketz
Old 07-14-2002, 05:02 PM   #4
Plastic Gravity

Having seen the 03L now first hand, I'm still not digging it. The lights, taken independant of the rest of the car, are kinda cool. How they integrate into the rest of the car, isn't. The bug magnet on the new hood is pretty ugly too! The grille looks just as ugly up close as it does in the photos, so does the bumper, the empty grill under it, and the tacky chrome fogs. Overall, I'd call the new car a cross between Generic Asian and Piney's Buick

Does anyone know if Saturn plans to offer Xenon lights with the fixtures? A good friend of mine just moved back to the area and he bought a new Maxima after moving in for his wife, and the Maximas headlight fixtures look very much like the L's. Anywho, it has Xenon lights in them....very impressive headlights. Saturn would be wise to offer them as an option on the L300.

Old 07-15-2002, 11:57 AM   #5
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes

Pretty much agree on most comments here. The only eye-pleasing style in 'New' Saturn is just the VUE. ION looks too cute and with an impression like a Dodge NEON?!!? :o: Again it's the impression to associate to Neon, except Saturn has no Bug eyes......though it still looks Saturn.

'03 L is totally non-Saturn, like a adopted child in Saturn's family. Needs time to get acquainted.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:02 PM   #6
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity
Having seen the 03L now first hand, I'm still not digging it. The lights, taken independant of the rest of the car, are kinda cool. How they integrate into the rest of the car, isn't. The bug magnet on the new hood is pretty ugly too! The grille looks just as ugly up close as it does in the photos, so does the bumper, the empty grill under it, and the tacky chrome fogs. Overall, I'd call the new car a cross between Generic Asian and Piney's Buick

Does anyone know if Saturn plans to offer Xenon lights with the fixtures? A good friend of mine just moved back to the area and he bought a new Maxima after moving in for his wife, and the Maximas headlight fixtures look very much like the L's. Anywho, it has Xenon lights in them....very impressive headlights. Saturn would be wise to offer them as an option on the L300.
I saw the 2002 and 2003 side by side and I dislike the 2003 even more. IMO the 2000 - 2002 has a much sleeker look. Again styling is a personal thing (Can you say Aztek?) Agree with you on this on Plastic. I think the front of the ION is similar to the L series (2000-2002). Looks like an idented I on the hood.. I think the ION looks nice from the front.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:36 PM   #7
FireMate
FireMate is on a distinguished road

Here's something... just showed my girlfriend that front page thingy, and she remarked that the L-series, from it's angle looked identical to her in-law's Malibu in the driveway... scary.....
Old 07-15-2002, 02:28 PM   #8
Qlara
Master Member

Roll Eyes

No sweat! With the lens shaping like that, it DOES look like a Chevy Malibu in distance.

The butt looks very like a Sable from Mercury.....or should I say Taurus?
Old 07-15-2002, 02:49 PM   #9
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

The new L has HID projectors..... i havent heard anything about the option yet, but i expect we'll see something like this soon.

Dealer aftermarket could cash in on this, by charging $600-$1000.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:08 PM   #10
Marky3door
Marky3door is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up "Next Generation of Saturn" Ad Kicks Ass

I got the new Saturn ad in the mail yesterday too (the same on on the home page here) and think it finally shows the cars looking good. Saturn's new ad agency seems to be ditching the geeky ads for this new cooler look. Excited about the Ion.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:14 PM   #11
L300Boy
Master Member

Anyone see the commercial with the words over people's heads? Something about a road trip to las vegas ... cool car .. etc.. ?

I thought this is a nice change compared to the stupid honest ad campaign
Old 07-18-2002, 05:35 PM   #12
socketz
socketz is on a distinguished road

L300Boy.

I saw the end of that commercial.

Which car was it advertising ?
Old 07-18-2002, 05:43 PM   #13
L300Boy
Master Member

The SLx ...

honestly, id like to see an L300 performance ad.. a real one.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:13 PM   #14
Qlara
Master Member

Sad

Unfortunately, so far I still haven't seen any Performance-related ad regarding L-series......cross the fingers on the '03 L.

I miss that LS2 chase-over Old-guy in Honda TV ad......that's Classic, from Saturn!
Old 07-18-2002, 06:18 PM   #15
L300Boy
Master Member

There was another ad...a very bizzare one...which featured the L series piano music. There were 2 lanes of taxi's, and i think they talked about the guy cutting them all off and making the turn. Flashed hp numbers and such .... but they didnt show the event. It gave the impression that might or might not make it. A very stupid thing to do.

Any idea what that piano music was? Or was it just in-house atmospheric bs?

The honda one was a bit funny, but it was a little on the corny side -- at the expense of the honda driver though I liked the ho-hum attitude of the couple.

The 2003 L flyer is pushing performance of the L300 ... about time. Maybe we'll see some cool ads. Oh, and bring back the really leet piano music!
Old 07-18-2002, 07:16 PM   #16
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by qlara

I miss that LS2 chase-over Old-guy in Honda TV ad......that's Classic, from Saturn!
It is my favorite Saturn ad.

Now if they had made more commercials like that, maybe the word would have gotten out about the Saturn L and not have to settle for the '03 re-do and a questionable future.

Old 07-18-2002, 07:31 PM   #17
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by L300Boy
The new L has HID projectors..... i havent heard anything about the option yet, but i expect we'll see something like this soon.

Dealer aftermarket could cash in on this, by charging $600-$1000.
Some nice Xenon lights would give those monster bug eyes some reason for being there.

If the pricing stays the same, they could do some nice sales against the Altima(although its better looking) which the dealers have been asking sick sums of money for(at least here, anyway)... I noticed plenty of 2.5S models pushing over 25K...a 22K L300 with Xenons would look pretty attractive(price and performance wise...NOT STYLING WISE ).

Old 07-18-2002, 08:57 PM   #18
L300Boy
Master Member

Taking a look at edmunds, both the L300 and Altima 3.5 automatic are dead on during a paper race. Handling is about the same. Id say they are a great match.

Even the 2.5S and L200 line up quite well. The L200 wins the pricing game.

No bose or six speed, but for the money you save, you could fix one of those and still have cash left over

Styling .. well ... depends on your tastes i guess. Maybe i'll swing by a saturn dealer and see if i can catch a peak. I havent seen one in 3D yet..
Closed Thread