SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #21
iKeenan
iKeenan is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2004 VUE cruise control on/off switch

I too am having cruise control problems. The on switch illuminates as if it is on, but when I hit the set or resume button, nothing happens. I can confirm my brake lights only turn on when I hit the brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to iKeenan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help iKeenan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
iKeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #22
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKeenan View Post
I too am having cruise control problems. The on switch illuminates as if it is on, but when I hit the set or resume button, nothing happens. I can confirm my brake lights only turn on when I hit the brakes.
Which year? 2004 or other?

I try to visit forum daily but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:58 AM   #23
t1d
t1d is on a distinguished road

I have a 2004 Vue/6 Cyc. The cruise control power switch failed; the latch broke and the switch would not stay in the on position. This is about making the repair and how to find the OEM switch.

I don't guarantee correctness, or anything else. You assume all risk. I am working from memory, but, even if I forgot to mention something, it will be readily aparrent as what you need to do. It is an easy project. I have not ordered the part, yet, to verify my findings, but I am confident in the information provided. I do not have a camera to have made pictures.

The electronic PCB board may be accessed by...
- Remove the negative battery terminal to reduce the risk of exploding the steering wheel airbag. Wait until all power drains before preceding.
- Remove the top steering column cover from behind the steering wheel. It just snaps off with gentle upward pressure.
- The airbag module sits in the middle of the steering wheel. Its three mounting pins are located behind the steering wheel.
- Rotate the steering wheel to orient one of the mounting pin holes to be just above the key switch. There is room to work there without having to tear out more stuff.
- Insert a stubby/short, #2, slotted tip screwdriver into the hole. Angle it upward and catch the spring release bar inside the hole. Raise the handle upward to release the airbag from the catch pin. (The instructions that I had said to twist the screwdriver, but that is not correct, for my model.) Repeat for the remaining pins.
- Remove all wiring from the airbag and set it aside in a safe place.

- The cruise switch is mounted in a "V" shaped bessel. Remove the two Torx 20 screws from the top tips of the V. Slide the bessel upward, with gentle pressure, to free it.
- From this point, there are free parts that can fall out, so move the bessel to a clean work surface, covered with a towel. Lay the bessel face down on the towel.

- The cruise switch module is held in place with four tiny/watchmaker phillips screws. Remove them and lift out the module. Hopefully, the loose parts will remain in place, in the bessel, but you need to watch how things come apart, so you can get them put back together.
- The power switch cover will come off with the module. The Set Control switch cover will remain in the bessel. There are two plastic button accuator thingies, that have a flat spot on their head. If they fall out, the flat spot goes toward the center of the Set Control switch cover.

-You should have the module out, now. To get to the push button switch...
- Gently pull the power switch cover off of the switch stem. Be mindful of the stem spring.
- Lift off the rubber cover.
You should be down to the bare board, now, with full access to the power switch.

Replace the switch and reassemble everything.

My circuit board has “ALPS ANA971110A” printed on it. I tracked the name to Alps Alpine electronics and drilled down to the needed switch. The best that I can tell, there are only two switches that we need consider… SPPH110800 and SPPH110900…

The only difference that I noted between the two is the force required to press the button. My guess is that force is determined by the spring on the switch stem. So, I suggest buying the cheaper 800 and use your original stem spring. Alps listed a few suppliers. I like Mouser; $2.40/+ship.

URL pending 15 posts... Go to MouserDOTcom and search for the part number...

This switch looks like a commonly known type. However, the stem is offset from the center, meaning the common type will not work. It is good that the OEM is still available.

While you are waiting on your part to arrive there are a couple of work-arounds… One, glue the power switch in the ‘”on” position. (Disengaging the cruise can only be done with the brake.) I was afraid that the super-glue would run through the switch and permanently bond it to the board. So, I just soldered a jumper wire from one of the middle pins to the pin of the circuit supply trace. You can readily see the traces to pick the correct one. Come to think of it, just jump a center pin to the LED pin. The LED pin is common to the supply trace.

I have health issues and have gone as far with this writing as I can.

URL pending 15 posts... Go to AlpsDOTcom and search for the part number... Data Sheet information may be found there, or at Mouser.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to t1d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help t1d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
t1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:04 PM   #24
t1d

I ordered two of the switches, by mistake. If anyone would like it, send me a private message. Shoot, I'll even solder it up, if you don't have those tools/skills. Just cover the costs. Full release of liability and USA/48 address required.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to t1d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help t1d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #25
t1d

When I removed the switch, I discovered that it had the "Snap-In" type terminal pins. Meaning that the pins are bent in such a way as to catch the board , when the switch is set home. I believe this to be the only difference to what I described prior.

It appears that the item number for this type is SPPH130500.
Pros - Holds in place, while you solder. Slightly less expensive (1.87/USD,) at Mouser.
Con - Bent pins are harder to clear, when removing the solder for repair. (For this cause, I am glad I used the straight pin type.)

I have completely finished the repair, now. It works perfectly. I am very pleased with the switch I used; you can use either... But, mostly, I enjoyed beating "The Man." lol. The switch is only marketed already mounted in the "V" shaped cover. IIRC, used prices started around $75 and went up to $150. I have about $5 in it. Sweet.

For folks with decent handy-person skills and some tools, I rate this as an easy repair. Mostly, you just need to be careful about working with the airbag... remembering to disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes, before beginning.

Tools - Wrench for the battery terminal, Short (>= 6",) slotted screwdriver for the Airbag pins, Torx T-20 screwdriver to remove the V cover, Jeweler's tiny Philips screwdriver to remove the switch from the V cover, Soldering iron to change the switch. A "solder sucker", of some fashion, is nice for clearing the old solder from the pin holes. And, a multimeter, or continuity tester, to verify the switch's operations.

One final, random thought, when you remove the rubber covering from the board, you will be able to see a tiny latching tang on both sides, just under the top screw holes. They hold the board in place in the back cover. Be careful with these. It would not ruin the project, if they were broken; you could still get things put back together. But, why have to go through that drama?

The Fine Print - As first said, I accept no liability. Verify everything for yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to t1d's Reputation
Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #26
Woodpecker
Woodpecker is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1d View Post
...The switch is only marketed already mounted in the "V" shaped cover. IIRC, used prices started around $75 and went up to $150. I have about $5 in it. Sweet.
You can get the "V" shaped cover with switches (AC Delco) here for $63.79. But yeah, 5 bucks beats that by a lot!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ol+switch,4320

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Woodpecker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Woodpecker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote