saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
coolgreany
coolgreany is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L
Default 99 SL2 runs rough after sitting for a while

Daughter is home from college for the holidays and I noticed her car started and runs rough after sitting for a long time (week or more). She said it does this after sitting for a while. Plugs and ignition wires are fairly new as well as the PCV and I replaced the fuel filter this summer. Any ideas that I can check before she heads back to school?
02 VUE Auto AWD-63k-Florida
02 SL2 Manual -76K, Germany
00 SL2 Auto-90K-failed emissions, Portland, OR
99 SL2 Auto-115K-aging, Portland, OR

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Re: 99 SL2 runs rough after sitting for a while

This time of year I put dry gas to specs in the fuel. Specific to the SL, I make sure I have good contacts ( lightly sanded ) from the ignition modules with the plug wires. I have used dielectric grease (Advance $6) to seal the boots of the plug wires to their ends to keep out moisture.
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Does it go away after 30 seconds or so of running? My '96 SW2 has done that since the day I bought it at 30,000 miles. I frequently go a week or more without driving it, so it happens a lot, and I've just kinda shrugged it off (although I'd be curious to hear an explanation for it).
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Tatusmi
Advanced Member
Tatusmi is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Does it go away after 30 seconds or so of running? My '96 SW2 has done that since the day I bought it at 30,000 miles. I frequently go a week or more without driving it, so it happens a lot, and I've just kinda shrugged it off (although I'd be curious to hear an explanation for it).
My car does it too and I've always done the same.

- Tatusmi
Tatusmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
coolgreany
coolgreany is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L

yazhere, according to my daughter it was doing it in the summer (Raleigh, NC) so I'm not sure if it's climate dependent. Also, the plugs and wires are new and I did use dielectric grease .

I think she said it goes away if she drives often (but I'll have to ask her). I found a few other threads that indicated it may be related to a dirty throttle body so I'll have her start adding some MMO or Techron to the gas and see if that helps as I don't have time this trip to get in there to give it a good cleaning.

She's off to Portland Oregon (hopefully to a job) so this is my last chance for preventative maintenenace before she drives cross country (~ 105K on the odometer).
02 VUE Auto AWD-63k-Florida
02 SL2 Manual -76K, Germany
00 SL2 Auto-90K-failed emissions, Portland, OR
99 SL2 Auto-115K-aging, Portland, OR

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I'm not quite sure if its like moisture that builds up internally from the heat of combustion and then cooling down. Best example would be brake rotors that sort of rust up when not driven for awhile. When the car is started, it takes that minute for the components to get in synch. Think that would include the time it takes for lubrication to get on the top side of the motor too. Guess I was not recommending a cure for it, just an idea to keep it in tune. Seems like you have a handle on it.

I certainly understand keeping up the maintenance on the kid's cars. Portland and the entire North West gets its share of rain. Regards.
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Yeah, mine would do this regardless of the weather. But geez, thinking back, I don't think it's happening anymore. And sometime this past summer, I removed the throttle body and did a thorough cleaning. But it's one of those things, since I'd come to accept (and pretty-much disregard) the roughness, I really can't say whether it stopped after I did the TB. I just never noticed when the roughness stopped happening. "Does not pay attention in class...."
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote