SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 01-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
SL2SLed
SL2SLed is on a distinguished road

Default Report card from 120k

Greetings,

Got the 120k checkup done on my 98' SL2 a few months ago and it went pretty well.

However the tech noted two things:

-The front oxygen sensor is bad. I don't know ALOT about cars all in all, but an decently technical if I have to be. The price they quoted me over the phone to replace this part was $120. It seemed like alot since I happen to remember the going rate for an aftermarket part was $60. For $60 worth of labor is there anything I should need to know before I delve into researching how to replace this myself?

-They also noted that the plug wires and one of the coils is bad. Now, plug wires, iirc, shouldn't be all that hard to replace. But for some reason I can't recall what the heck a coil is nor how hard it might be to replace. Again, I deferred to wait on this part of the operation rather than spend the $228.

The SES light came on last night, which hapened before the car went in and the tech had stated it was probably because of one of these two things. I'd obviously like to take care of any problems I can on my own to save some cash. I'm planning on hitting Auto-Zone to confirm the code for this.

Can anyone tell me the specifics of the two issues I seem to be needing or point me in the right direction? I did a forum search for the oxygen sensor and it sounds pretty easy, but there was little documentation on replacement.

Thanks for the help!
SL2SLed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: Report card from 120k

O2 replacement is about the easiest job under the hood on the S series. Just pop the hood, look for the spark plug looking thing sticking out of your exhaust manifold. Right there on the front of the engine. I can't remember the size wrench you need (they make a special slotted socket just for that job if you want to spend the money), just remember to let the engine cool off some so you don't get burned. Be sure to put a little anti-sieze on the threads, as you may want to replace again in the future (HIGHLY recommended for after market O2's).

As for coil packs-they are on the other end of the spark plug wires. I don't remember one actually going bad. When you replace the wires, try lightly sandpapering off any corrosion or discoloration you see on the posts. Before you plug the wires back on, smear a little dielectric grease on the boots (rubber only, not metal). Disconnect the neg. post on your battery while you are doing this stuff, as that will reset the computer & it will relearn the system with the changes you have made. Bet that will take care of the SES light.

Something you didn't mention, but comes up about a hundred times on the boards is your ECTS. If you haven't changed that to the new updated version yet, you probably should. Another REALLY easy job & should be done sooner rather than later. Look in the "how to library" section for instructions on that with pictures.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
sven1
sven1 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

O2 sensor change is a piece of cake, and I am marginal under the hood. A good resource for walking you through something like this is AllData. It is a database available for free at most public libraries. I use it all the time for many different things, and it provides you with both pictures and text instructions.
sven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:43 PM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Autozone will loan you the tool to replace the O2 sensor. It'll take you 10 minutes, if you take a smoke break in the middle. As others have said the coil packs are at the other end of the spark plugs. Easy to replace as well.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:13 AM   #5
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't use any o2 aftermarket sensor.
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote