saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
jcborshard
jcborshard is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Replacement Shifter Bushing Available

Hello, Group! This stainless steel shifter bushing replaces Saturn’s original thin rubberized plastic bushing [only available from Saturn with new shifter cables for $160] which can crack and allow the center shifter cable to separate from the shift lever. By installing this bushing kit you can permanently eliminate bushing failure and avoid the major expense and hassle of replacing otherwise perfectly serviceable shifter cables. Each kit consists of a precision-machined and polished stainless steel replacement bushing, fitted rigid nylon guide washers, a removable E-clip, Teflon powder with an applicator, and detailed installation instructions. Over forty kits are already installed with 100% success. The hollow stainless bushing is permanently attached over the ball-end shaft at the base of the shift lever using JB-Weld two-part adhesive. [See photos] Please email with any questions [jcborshard@fastmail.fm]. Shipped USPS First Class with Delivery Confirmation for $32 [plus $2.39 Sales Tax to Texas addresses] via PayPal, check, or MO. Jerry Borshard 2700 Glencliff Drive, Plano, TX 75075
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Replacement Shifter Bushing Available

you advertise on ebay as well? I bought the exact same thing a while back in an auction. Haven't installed it yet but it looks and feels like high quality. Glad you found this board as I'm sure a lot of us have had shifter problems like this in the past.
1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6
Old 03-28-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
jcborshard

1996 SL1

Thanks for the welcome, Geartooth94! Yes, most have been sold either on eBay or through other web contacts. The one that started it all last fall was my wife's '96 SL1. Only three had been installed when Wolfman told Saturnfans about this fix. Since then I added powdered Teflon to the kit. Email your address and I'll send you some. Jerry
Old 03-29-2005, 02:09 AM   #4
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

whats the need for the teflon ?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:38 AM   #5
edbama2
edbama2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
1994 SC2

Teflon is very durable and slick so it will keep the metals from grinding on each other. Less wear on the shift cable and no metal shavings hanging around electric connections under the center console.
When is Saturn going to make an SC2 Truck?
New 05 Dodge Ram Quad Hemi Thunder Road Package
Old 03-29-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
jcborshard

1996 SL1

All true, Edbama2, but there are no metal shavings here because the stainless steel bushing only moves against nylon, which is slippery to begin with. A daub of teflon powder applied to the polished bushing surface is just an extra precaution to guard against any possible long-term wear of the nylon cable end loop. Jerry
Old 03-30-2005, 03:03 AM   #7
ArghIGiveUp

That's a nifty little kit you have there. My cable has bee messed up since I bought my car, but I've been gentle with it, and it hasn't let go, yet. I'll probably just bust out the mini-lathe and make my own parts for it some day. For folks without access to a lathe, your kit is probably the best way to go.

Oh, I gotta say that I love the applicator. I use those for applicators, too. My only question is, did you buy your own package of them, or do you just sneak them from the wife's cosmetic supplies when she's not looking, like I do? LOL!

Old 03-30-2005, 12:43 PM   #8
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

my bushing was gone when I got my car. But I made my own little version of what you have there. My shifter connection looks different. It is actually a bolt that goes through the bottom shifter piece and then I put precisely sized washers that fit perfectly inside the shift cable end. Then I just put a bolt on the end and threadlock to keep it from vibrating loose. (which happened once...not fun)
-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
occupant
occupant is on a distinguished road

LMAO, just don't let Dallas narcotics cops see your Teflon powder baggies...they might arrest you on suspicion of dealing drywa...I mean cocaine!

I'm glad you've got these kits available. And glad you're local. Hope you have plenty to go around, sounds like a common problem. Is this a limited time offer? If so I may wish to go ahead and get one for future use since I'm at 110K and driving up to 1500 miles a week.
Alan Moore
Malone, TX

1999 Taurus SE sedan, navy blue, 131K, Jellybean
1988 Suburban 2500, gray/red, 228K, The Moose II
Old 03-31-2005, 01:32 AM   #10
jcborshard

1996 SL1

Saturn owners have used a wide variety of approaches to deal with a failed plastic bushing, ranging from machining a plastic replacement to tying the cable to the shifter with a hank of wire. A hand drill and some hardware may get you back in gear, but as sps SOHC found, may not do so permanently. Since the shifter bushing must have a very thin wall, and since regular steel under the console tends to get rusty [see photos of the shifter in the first post above], stainless steel offers some advantages. Occupant, thanks for the white powder warning! Yes, these replacement bushings will continue to be available on an ongoing basis. BTW, my sales have been almost entirely to Saturn owners in the sunbelt, where summer heat apparently weakens the OEM plastic bushing. If you're between Hawaii and Floride, if your Saturn is ever parked in the summer sun, and if you don't want the major inconvenience of being stranded right when it's really majorly inconvenient, consider the benefits of upgrading your plastic bushing BEFORE it splits!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:05 AM   #11
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

there's a guy who titled a thread "my shifter is dead"! a few threads below this one. May want to have a look-see.
1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6
Old 03-31-2005, 02:30 PM   #12
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by occupant
If so I may wish to go ahead and get one for future use since I'm at 110K and driving up to 1500 miles a week.
200 miles a day!! Holy crap!
My "shifter fixer" is working alright, just the dang shift knob never stays screwed on tight...maybe if I put some locktite on that...
-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
occupant

And I can't get my shift knob off. Burned my hands pretty good trying yesterday, wanted too see what all was under there so I'd be familiar with it when it comes time to make a repair. But I can't do it, going to try gloves next time.
Alan Moore
Malone, TX

Old 04-01-2005, 05:48 PM   #14
kev-inc
kev-inc is on a distinguished road

Just curious, Does my shifter bushing have to be broken in order to install this?

I really dont want to go though the nightmare of my shifter failing. I am thinking of getting this kit.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:29 PM   #15
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

That looks like something even EYE would be capable of installing !!
Knew it was only a matter of time before teh after market would fill teh void. Thank you
Will be getting this for my 95 SL1,[120,000 miles],
just to make sure one is around when teh factory bushing goes. San Fernando Vlley is a desert climate.
Any Saturn service techs installed one yet? Have you approached tehm about stocking it? This is brilliant.
Someone else on teh board was using 50- 80 lb. nylon ties which apparently worked quite well, but this is pure genius and looks capable of being a permanent solution.

Last edited by Citation84; 04-01-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:04 PM   #16
jcborshard

1996 SL1

Wise move, kev-inc, to plan replacing your bushing at a time and place of YOUR choosing! The old plastic bushing will pry off the shifter and out of the nylon cable end loop without much trouble--just take care not to stress the nylon cable end loop.
Yes, Citation84, installation is very straightforward, with two full pages of detailed instructions to guide the inexperienced and free email consultation if needed (which, so far, no one has). At the Saturn dealership the kit was applauded, but corporate policy prohibits the installation of any "unauthorized" [non-Saturn] parts. Saturn Corporate Offices referred me to GM Corporate Offices, who were not interested. Yes, this fix IS permanent, but still allows for easy cable replacement, if that should ever be necessary. Jerry [p.s. thanks for your kind words]
Old 04-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #17
occupant

I am fairly certain that there is some company, somewhere, who is willing to manufacture, market, and distribute this product. It looks like a winner to me. I need to get $34.39 in the mail to you.
Alan Moore
Malone, TX

Old 04-03-2005, 11:50 PM   #18
jcborshard

1996 SL1

You're right, occupant, one very small company is already doing just that. I'm their customer service rep [as well as everything else from janitor to CEO] and I'll be adding employees as soon as sales volumes increase.
Correction of post above: it was RevWillie who first brought my bushing to the attention of Saturnfans members. Eljefino and Wolfman posted the first two responses. Apologies to RevWillie for the error. Jerry
Old 04-26-2005, 11:04 PM   #19
rlalonde
rlalonde is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

What are the symptoms of the shifter bushing starting to go??
Trouble shifting, or does it just not shift??
Ron
Ron
1995 Saturn SL1
Nova Scotia, Canada
Old 04-27-2005, 12:17 AM   #20
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

excessive shifter play, hard shifting, having to hold the shifter in gear.
Closed Thread