Old 03-02-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
Red97sc2
Advanced Member
Red97sc2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default ABS - E Brake and Rear Brakes Sticking

Yep! All of that in a title for a post!

1997 SC2 Manual w/ 126k miles. Bought it in January. The repair history receipts that came with had recorded a complete overhaul of the brake system just about 2 years ago.

I went out tonight to warm up and de-snow the SC2. We just had a round of about 6+ inches of snow and now it's colder than you know what outside. Anyways, there is still snow on the ground and streets. I went to pull out and when I started going in 1st I didn't hear the ABS self test "click" as usual. I also noticed that it was rather hard to get the SC2 to move. I instantly knew what was wrong - The E-Brake had stuck "ON". I tried as best as I could the old remedy of gunning it in reverse and slamming on the brakes but with the snow on the ground all I did was just push the rear tires, I was unable to get them to unlock. I drove down another snow covered street to one of the main "plowed" streets and once on there I was able to get the rear brakes un-stuck. (The traffic on the main road at this time of night is dead so I was able to gun it in reverse and slam the brakes on - It worked)
Anyways, The ABS light stayed on the whole way to work (15 miles) and I had no TRAC light or ability at all. Once I got to work I hit the parking lot and gunned it a little then pulled on the E-Brake and sure enough, it worked again. I parked, turned the SC2 off, then back on again and the ABS light went off and my TRAC light came on. I drove around the lot and heard the ABS Self test clicking again. WHEW!!!

Ok, main question here: Is there any PM for the cables or calipers or am I looking at a Saturn repair job here? I was thinking/hoping that I could just PB Blast or Tri-Flow some cables and calipers and be good to go.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2005, 07:21 AM   #2
Red97sc2
Advanced Member

2001 SL2
2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: ABS - E Brake and Rear Brakes Sticking

Just a "bump" and a note: I did do a search on ABS and REAR and STICKING and a combination of those 3 and nothing came up.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

There is nothing you can do about the brakes sticking after they have been wet. We got the same amount of snow if not more here, the best thing to do if you're worried about the e-brake sticking is not to use it for that night. Leave the car in gear instead. It isn't so much that the cables or calipers are sticking as much as the pads are rusting to the rotors overnight. For PM on the rear brakes, you can pull the pads off, make sure the surface where it meets the caliper bracket are clean and rust free and apply some high temp caliper grease to all of the slides and pins. I deal with this type of problem everyday in the winter here in Syracuse!!
Old 03-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
Red97sc2
Advanced Member

2001 SL2
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnTech
There is nothing you can do about the brakes sticking after they have been wet. We got the same amount of snow if not more here, the best thing to do if you're worried about the e-brake sticking is not to use it for that night. Leave the car in gear instead. It isn't so much that the cables or calipers are sticking as much as the pads are rusting to the rotors overnight. For PM on the rear brakes, you can pull the pads off, make sure the surface where it meets the caliper bracket are clean and rust free and apply some high temp caliper grease to all of the slides and pins. I deal with this type of problem everyday in the winter here in Syracuse!!
Sounds exactly like what I was thinking, about the snow and wet and everything
So, just lube up the pins...I've done it before on the front brakes on my old SL2 so it should not be too much trouble.

Thanks!!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
IsaySaturn
IsaySaturn is on a distinguished road

Wow! Glad it doesn't snow here!
-----------------------------
"Do you see my point of VUE?"
-----------------------------
03 L200 all options - 01 LW200 (RIP)
06 Nissan Armada SE 4x2
07 Toyota Fj Cruiser 4x4