saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
scm64
scm64 is on a distinguished road

Default New Owner: FWD Traction Control Question

Hi all,

Great forum. We take delivery on Saturday of a Red FWD V6 with Leather, Comfort package, safe and sound pkg, and sunroof. Getting roofrack, sidesteps and mudflaps installed. Can't wait to pick it up!!!!

I live in Florida, and for a while thought we would get the AWD, thinking it could'nt hurt during the summer storms, but ultimately we went with the FWD.

Can I get any feedback on how the V6 and the Traction Control seem to play together. Experiences in heavy rain, light rain, any kind of rain, lol.

We have an AWD to drive this week while waiting for ours (nice dealer) and with the power the V6 has, I could see it being pretty easy to get some decent tire spin when we get wet conditions around here. I've read conflicting threads on here about whether it was Braking driven or Engine/Power Cut, type of system. I prefer the latter, but am not quite sure.

I am realistic, and I would suspect that it might be much like the SAAB's we both drive currently (well, just me know I guess, lol) where, unless I'm being ridiculous with the gas and clutch, slippage is moderate but not uncommon from a light. I usually seems to adjust via gas or clutch before the Traction Control on the SAAB has to do much. I do long for a true AWD car but just havn't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts. I will be sure to post Pics on we pick it up.

By the way, my wife had a '92 Saturn SL1, which she sold to a guy in our old neighborhood with about 80k miles, in 1998. The guy still drives the car today. Other than needing oil regulary (from day 1, <cough>) no major work that I know of.

Thanks all. Peace.

SCM
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2005, 04:51 PM   #2
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: New Owner: FWD Traction Control Question

The Traction Control system is engine controlled. The computer will limit power when it detects wheel spin. It works really well from what I have experienced. I have a 2004 FWD V6. If you don't deal with snow then the FWD with Traction control will be great for you.
04SilverVue
DFW, Texas
Old 02-24-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
04Vuesilver
Advanced Member
04Vuesilver is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Even with snow, I've never needed AWD, would be nice at times though. My V6 FWD Vue does just fine without the AWD, don't think you'll need it any more than me
Old 02-24-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
scm64

Thanks for the replies.

I'm sure it will be fine, although some of the threads regarding the stock tires have me a bit concerned. I will certainly check them out thoroughly in the rain at the first opportunity.

I was more curious about how Quick/Responsive the taction control kicks in. Does it do a fairly good job of preventing wheelspin, and how "elegant" does it work? Or is it "clumsy" and just cause some sputtering. As I mentioned, my SAAB has traction control, and it seems to work pretty much like I expect. I'm pretty sure the Saturn will be just fine. I just wanted some specific feedback. In reading through the forum the last few weeks, Saturn Owners are a smart and friendly bunch.

Glad to be back in the club. We pick her VUE up tomorrow night, I will try and get some pics up over the weekend. Once I get a few drives under my belt, I will post some initial thoughts.

SCM
Old 02-24-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
04SilverVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

Reguarding the tires: The Duelers are great at first. They are a really soft tire and handle rain well. The problem is when the start to wear. When the tire starting to get worn even alittle, I mean only 25% worn out, I noticed alot of hydroplaning. Other than that and the fact they wear out really quick they are OK but the Michelin Pilot LTX's I just bought are awesome so far.

I am quick on the pedal so I have set off the traction control everyday I have had the Vue. When you get on the gas hard it will spin the tire for about 3 to 5 seconds then the light comes on and retards the engine. It is a pretty quick and smooth transition considering. I have not had any problems with it. It is pretty sensitive though.
04SilverVue
DFW, Texas
Old 02-24-2005, 10:09 PM   #6
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

^^^^What 04SilverVue said^^^^
Old 02-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #7
scm64

Thanks SilverVue, just the feedback I was looking for, and not unexpected given the sweet V6.

It looks like we should have some rain this weekend so I will get to check it out. Thanks, also for the feedback on the tires. I'll give them a shot, but keep an eye on how they do as they get some miles on them.

As I mentioned, I will post some impressions after some seat time.

SCM
Old 02-24-2005, 11:30 PM   #8
Tollag
Tollag is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Has anyone thought of using the Hankook Ventus ST RH06 ?

I found it online, and because i'm running seperate summer and winter tires, i'm thinking of getting them for next summer...
Old 02-25-2005, 06:22 PM   #9
04Vuesilver
Advanced Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Hey SilverVue, do you have a 4 or 6 cyl? Sometimes I'd like to turn my traction control off in my V6, is there a way to?

But to back what he said, the transition is farily smooth, especially on slicker surfaces. I've never really needed it that much, to notice a whole lot either though
Old 02-25-2005, 07:18 PM   #10
Tollag

2004 VUE 3.5L

I believe that putting the gear selector in "I" will turn it off won't it?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:55 PM   #11
04Vuesilver
Advanced Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Does it? I know it does in the low setting, but I still need to use more than just first gear
Old 02-25-2005, 10:02 PM   #12
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Vuesilver
Does it? I know it does in the low setting, but I still need to use more than just first gear
RTFM boys. :P
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 12:42 AM   #13
Garciavision
Garciavision is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Traction always goes on when you start the car. To appreciate the quick acceleration you need to turn the traction off. AWD consumes more gas and reduces performance
Old 02-26-2005, 03:51 PM   #14
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I've been driving an L200 with Traction Control for about 6 months now. In non-snow conditions the TC is only activated when on concrete like at a toll plaza.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:37 PM   #15
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

The traction control is always "on", meaning standby mode. When in dry conditions where you wheels won't slip, having it turned off would do nothing. (if there WAS a way to turn it off in the 3.5L vue I mean)
'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD
Old 02-26-2005, 06:01 PM   #16
04SilverVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

I have a 3.5L V6...

And trust me put the FWD 3.5 V6 Vue in "L" and gun it. The traction control will not engage. That is part of the reason I had to replace the Duelers at 12K! LOL I think these are still black tire streaks down around the corner by my work! LOL I have only done this twice but man was it dramatic! I never thought an SUV could do a burn off that looks similar to my old Z28 but I was surprised.
04SilverVue
DFW, Texas
Old 02-27-2005, 11:26 PM   #17
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garciavision
AWD consumes more gas and reduces performance
I assure you, any AWD (even the craptastic delayed calibration in the '05 Vue) will out perform a FWD with Traction Control on rain, snow, ice, gravel, dirt, etc. Why do you think the World Rally Championship cars are *exclusively* AWD?

Even in dry weather, on a decent surface, AWD will have already engaged and be propelling the vehicle forward whereas TC would simply be cutting the throttle. When you *really* have to get going quick, AWD will always out perform FWD. Sure, at some point, FWD will catch and probably pass an AWD vehicle in a drag race, but that point will probably be at about 1/8 of a mile, or around 40 or 50 MPH. When it comes to launching across a busy street or avoiding getting hit by side traffic, I'd much rather have the AWD. It may have more drag in the drivetrain, more weight, and cost more in fuel and potential maintenance over the years, but that's a cost I'm willing to live with. To me, and to many others, AWD is a safety feature. Granted, so is Traction Control. Which of the two you prefer is a personal choice. Which is better seems obvious to me, from a safety perspective, and IMHO, that's the #1 priority. </rant>
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:24 PM   #18
alank
alank is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Dante I agree with you 100%, But I also think that the AWD is fantastic on turns in the rain. It just gives me a very stable and safe feeling.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:39 AM   #19
Tollag

2004 VUE 3.5L

I live in the North-East, and I use my AWD often... I do a lot of light offroading through mud in the summer, drive on the beach, and am plagued by constant storms during the winter. Hell... it's snowing now. We're expecting 14 inches. More than once this winter alone i've had all four wheels spinning trying to get out of a parking lot, through a snow drift, or up my driveway. Even accelerating uphill in the snow I can take off with all the other AWD/4WD SUV/Trucks out there while our FWD/RWD counterparts struggle to even get going.

AWD is a must. Thats my story and i'm sticking to it.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:52 AM   #20
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout
The traction control is always "on", meaning standby mode. When in dry conditions where you wheels won't slip, having it turned off would do nothing. (if there WAS a way to turn it off in the 3.5L vue I mean)
Have you read your owner's manual at all? It tells exactly how to disable it in there - put the shifter in L or R and watch your dash for the trac off light to come on....
This is all covered in the manual, folks
~D.J.~
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
Closed Thread