SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 12:40 AM   #1
dennis marshall
dennis marshall is on a distinguished road

Default I Would Like some feedback............

My 97 SL 1 auto w/ 97,974 miles has a blown head gasket or a cracked cylinder head Repairs begin on Tuesday It is at the dealer and will be fixed.Please check out my post- S series.Here is my question for L series owners-I was driven home today in a deep red 2002 L sedan.Very nice ride, great pick-up and comfortable.It was the L model with the orginal front end.I am going to have my SL 1 repaired because the cost will be cheaper than a new car .I was checking out my dealers web site and they have some L models for re-sale.One was a beautiful deep red 2001.My question Consumers does not recommend the 2001 1 as a used car.Since my dealer does a great job with the service if I should decide to trade in my SL 1 within a year or so would any of you guys who drive an L recommend one? I am planing to keep my SL till 2007.It was purchased off lease in 2000.I will have it 5 years next month and it will be paid off.If I can find an L in great shape and it is a recertified one-is it a good ide to buy it or consider an ION? I may be only able to afford an ION 1 which means I will be giving up the power goodies.MY SL 1 was in beautiful shape when I bought it and until till last night ran great-though as of late it has needed some dry gas at times.It still looks great.Let me know your experiences good bad & etc.I would prefer a 4 cylinder over the the 6.About two years ago I drove an L sedan for a week while my SL was in the shop-brake problem.I was really impressed with it.I cannot figure out why this car never caught on.I know about the rack + 6 cylinder problems with some-but jeez that red L sedan-smooth ride and comfortable seats.Thanks for your imput.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2005, 01:15 AM   #2
beensmoked
beensmoked will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: I Would Like some feedback............

Well the resale value of any american car especially Saturn's is pretty bad. I bought my 2001 L300 fully loaded for 8000 with 36,000 miles on it. If your planning on getting another used car in 2007 you will be payin around that same price for a 2003-05 if you want the new body style which i would prefer over the old one. The reason why this car never caught on was it's poor advertising. You never seen one commercial about an L series or even a bulletin board. Well from what i've scene. And motortrend and car and driver never tested the V6 model they only tested out the inline 4 and didn't give it that well of a review.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:12 AM   #3
ujm4ever
ujm4ever is on a distinguished road

Default Re: I Would Like some feedback............

I owned a loaded 01 L200 for about 28 months. I loved the car but it hated me. I think it had every problem ever mentioned on this board and then some. It still had 2 problems that the dealer and Saturn regional rep could not get a handle on when they took the car back. I turned it in for an 04 Ion2 which has had near perfect reliability. The Ion is more like the S series (we still own an SL1 and an SL2) in ride and feel. Despite all the trouble my L car caused me I do miss it, but not enough to get another one. I also admit the my admiration for the Ion2 is growing with time - but in hindsight, I do wish I would have flipped the extra money for the Ion3. I think the ride and handling is closer to the L. My advice, keep your SL1 going untill you can find a good example of an 04 or 05, Ion2 or 3 used or coming off lease. These cars seem to depreciate very fast so if you like to buy used and hang onto a car, you should be able to get a nice deal.
Closed Thread