saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2000, 02:37 PM   #1
corbasso
corbasso is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 LW1

Hello, Saturn family

I would love to purchase a 2000 LW1 before the financing special is gone at the end of June, but I have 2 questions. Does anybody have comments regarding the ballon payment financing? Secondly, my wife has only heard bad things about Saturn from three friends who own them and with a new car there will probably be the problems with the Affinity tires and the rattles in the interior etc. How can I persuade her? She wants a Passat--we can't afford a Passat.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2000, 02:57 PM   #2
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

First, after owning 5 Saturns, I can assure you that they're good cars. Anything mechanical can have problems but my retailer has been great. Ask around in your community to get a handle on the retailer's reputation.

Second, Saturn's like Target, if you don't like it, bring it back. You have a 30 day/1,500 mile moneyback guarantee assuming the car is not damaged. who else out there will do this for you?

My LS has the Affinitys and they're fine. Some other people ave had them replaced for vibration. Saturn even let them trade up to different tires for a reasonable amount.

The balloon's not allowed where I live (NC) unless the finance amount is more than 25K. We get a straight buy at 4.9% for 70 months.

If you opt for a balloon, be sure you know how the interest may change if you refinance after 36 months. You do have the option to give the car to GMAC at 36 mos as in a lease, but there are mileage and condition penalties you need to fully understand.

If you want to be cautious (as I did since the L is new) consider the Saturn extended warranty.

Also, you may want to check out the LW1. The 2.2 4 cylinder has a lot of guts, and can save you $$$.

Hope you join our family.

Bob
Old 05-08-2000, 07:49 PM   #3
tyler
tyler is on a distinguished road

i purchased a 2000 LW2 a few months ago, I too really wanted a Passat. After almost 7,000 miles, I am very happy with the LW2, tires good and no rattles at all. A little wind noise a highway speeds. I was concerned about the maintenance cost of the Passat along with premium fuel, especially now that premium is about 1.95/gallon were i'm at!! I really like the LW2 and don't regret not buying the Passat for about $5,000 more.
Old 05-08-2000, 08:29 PM   #4
Walburger_97SC2M
Walburger_97SC2M is on a distinguished road

Ballon financing is for the dogs....

I got schooled with it (the SC2 was my first car I bought new and I didn't know any different). With ballon financing you pay _way_ more interest than you have to because your principle doesn't decrease as rapidly due to the lower monthly payments.

Here's my personal example from when I bought the SC2:

Loan amount $15,147
APR 11.79% (in 1997 there was no 1.9% financing and rates were high - just comming out of recession)
Payments - 48 payments of $260
Ballon Payment $8800 (over 50% of original value)
Millage cap 15,000 mi/year total of 60,000 - $0.15/mile over 60,000 miles

As of 36 months of payments I still owed $10,200 on the car, but it had 80,000 miles on it. Because I'm over the millage cap, (by a lot now 110k on the clock), I have to pay off the entire thing in a year (do the math, donations are appreciated.) My estimate of milage when the car turns 4 years old will be 170k, or a millage penalty of $16,500 *laff*

BTW - even if I pay off the entire thing this year, because the priciple was barely going down the first three year, the interest is out of hand. The equivilant interest rate I will have end up paying at the end of the contract is 17.5% APR - can you say Credit Card? Another thing, the payment schedule is so out of whack on baffoon financing that it would take 88 months (7 years 4 months) to pay off the car at only the minimum monthly payment, and the total cost would be $23,000!

Ok, I'm done ranting. But this is the only bad thing I have ever had to say about my Saturn.

- W
Old 05-08-2000, 08:47 PM   #5
Iceman

I initally wanted the Passat GLX wagon also, however I really didn't want to pay 5000-8000 more for a smaller car, additionally the dealers that I went to could really give a rip if I was even in their showroom...the car is very popular and Consumer Reports loves it. I bought the LW2, based on my experience with my 96SL2, which currently has 74000 mi...with only routine mx. I can't say enough about the reliability or dearler service...its all been great. 2 of my friends also have Saturns and have nothing but good to say about the car and dealers. As far as interior noise the quietest car has been an Olds Auroa and a Lexus..but you're talking a big price difference, and the Saturn is fine.

Before I got my 96SL2, I test drove the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camary..I still think the Saturn was a much better value, and I would much prefer to keep the money in the US.

My original Firestone's gave 65000 trouble free miles and I just replaced them with another set, the only problem I had with them on the LW2 was the vibration and the company took care of it...and I would imagine that if I have the same problem on rotation that they again will fix it.

Old 05-09-2000, 02:05 PM   #6
prof
prof is on a distinguished road

My wife bought the LW2 over 9000 miles ago and loves it. It is tight and right. When the tires were rotated at 6000 they needed a balance, but that is all. Great mileage on regular gas, great pick up and handling and plenty of room.
Old 05-21-2000, 06:50 PM   #7
silverplum
silverplum is on a distinguished road

I bought an LW1 in December. I am very happy with my car. Would I buy the same car again?

DEFINITELY!

My only option is a block heater. I live in Canada. This past winter I did not use the block heater. Although I park in a garage attached to my house, I drive just over a mile to work. I can remember in the 80s when I had a Honda, I would take the oil filler cap off and see frost underneath the cap. Sometimes my car can sit for days at a time. I use it for business more than personal use.

Forget all the other options for the LW1. You sure don't need foglamps in the city for most driving unless you live in an area with lots of fog. I believe alloy wheels are not worth the price as an option or standard feature on any car. Regular wheels will still get you to your destination. Forget the advanced audio system unless you are a real audio freak. By the way, you lose the two back tweeters when you upgrade to the advanced audio system. You also lose one of the hidden storage areas in the back of the wagon. You cannot upgrade to the advanced audio system until you spend extra to get the AM/FM/CD/CASSETTE. What a joke!

As for ABS brakes, I saved my money and stuck to the regular brakes. However, I would have appreciated traction control. I did not consider any car where ABS came as a standard feature. I am not willing to pay the extra costs associated with maintaining and buying ABS parts.

One nice feature I tried to purchase but cannot find is a cargo-area liner for the wagon. Saturn is advertising this but it's not available. I ended up with something that was absolute garbage which I did not accept. I consider this false advertising. Saturn shows a picture even on their revamped website. By the way, if anybody can find one, watch out if you have the upgraded audio system. I believe it covers the sub woofer in the back corner. This issue has been brought up somewhere else in the forum. Some buyers have obtained this item and some buyers cannot obtain it.

I purchased rubber floor mats from my dealer. I would have been better off to go to a store and purchase floor mats that would protect my pants better such as the pantsaver floor mat.
Old 05-21-2000, 09:57 PM   #8
Saturnmeister
Saturnmeister is on a distinguished road

I've got an LW2 (since the end of March) and I LOVE it! The car gives you a hell of a lot more for the money than the Passat, which if you sit in it after having sat in the LW, you'll find is a CONSIDERABLY smaller car, despite how close some of the dimensions sound when you browse the car review mags.

I also happen to think that the VW will be less reliable over the long haul (electrical system problems seem a common VW problem, and have you ever tried to trouble shoot electrical systems? Lots of time - read $$, spent doing that), and that those problems you do have will be MUCH more expensive to fix. Add the more expensive parts on top of more expensive gasoline requirements on top of more expensive maintenance on top of more expensive PRICE (by many thousands), all for a SMALLER car, and I honestly don't see the big attraction to the Passat!
Old 05-22-2000, 06:55 AM   #9
Randman
Randman is on a distinguished road

You will definitely get MORE car for your money with the LW.
Saturnmeister nailed it.
I too was looking into purchasing a Passat but realizied all the "mores" the meister is referring to and bought an LS.
Love it!
Old 05-23-2000, 09:18 PM   #10
silverplum

A friend of mine is looking at the possibility of buying either a Jetta, Protege or the Saturn SL2. She is leaning towards the Protege. The Saturn turns her off because of her height. She is very short. She sat in my wife's 97 SL2 and found it very difficult to see over the steering wheel. She also went to a Saturn dealer and found the same problem with the new SL2s. She did suggest that you sit higher in the newer models but not by much.
Old 05-25-2000, 10:53 AM   #11
hoper

Hey Silverplum, sounds like we have the same car. I have a 2000 LW1, silverplum, no options. Live in Scarborough. Mine has been great so far. Got it last September. Only problem I've noticed so far are whistling mirrors in windy conditions.

Old 05-25-2000, 05:17 PM   #12
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Hoper;

1) There is a Service Bulletin on this problem.......#99T59 issued in Nov'99. It calls for replacement of defective gaskets between the mirror halves.

2) Some other Bulletins you might be interested in;
#00T07....re noisy windshield wipers
#99T60....re rattle in instrument panel
#99T55....re front end vibrations at highway speeds
#00T01... re binding in window channels
Old 05-25-2000, 11:22 PM   #13
silverplum

Hey Hoper,

Stay away from the Scarborough Bluffs and the mirrors won't whistle. Coasting down Brimley Rd. to Bluffers Park will do it everytime. Just kidding. I had mine fixed under the TSB. I grew up in Scarborough in the Birch Cliff Heights area and I am now living in Brampton. I have seen only 3 LWs on the road in the Brampton area since purchasing mine in December from Saturn of Brampton on Dixie Rd. north of Steeles. Not too popular right now in our area.

I had all intentions of getting a silver LW1 but fell in love with the silverplum colour the moment I saw an LS2 on the lot when I went to buy the car. A fellow I work with came into work a month ago with a silverplum LS1. Now at this point I have some interesting questions. Although he has an LS1, the mirrors which are supposed to be heated may not be on his LS1 unless the mirrors for some reason do not carry the symbol indicating they are heated. I have noticed this on a few LS1s on my local dealers lot. These cars all have cruise control which is not available on the LS, power windows, etc. What gives? Has Saturn changed something or just using a regular mirror because they may have run out of the mirrors with the heating symbol.

This is our second Saturn purchased from the same dealership. I should have told the dealer to throw in the block heater at no extra charge. After all, it is a dealer item.

I have driven it once out to Scarborough recently. That was last Christmas to meet some friends at the Bo Peep Restaurant for dinner. Still cooking since 1951.

Enjoy your call. Next time I see a silverlplum LW1, it might be you. I intend to drive out to the Beach area, visit my sister and her husband's bar for the first time in years.
Old 05-26-2000, 11:07 AM   #14
hoper

Thanks Hugh. I was planning on getting it fixed next time I visit dealer.

Old 05-26-2000, 11:20 AM   #15
hoper

Yah, Silverplum, you might see it sometime. We live near Birchmount & Danforth. The Bopeep is one of our favourite places to eat (The "Goof", Uncle Harry's, Tim Hortons are others). I lived in the Beach for two years back in the 80's. I have a sister-in-law out in Brampton so you might even see us out there.

Old 04-04-2003, 12:15 AM   #16
silverplum

Happy Hey Hoper

I was looking at some old strings.

We have both traded in our LW1s for a new model and my attitude has changed tremendously when it comes to ABS brakes.

I now have "bright silver" instead of silverplum. I guess too many people did not like the silverplum.

I have more bells and whistles on my car.

I still drive out to the Bo-Peep once in a while, as recenlty as 2 weks ago.

It's hard to believe that some of us have been around this forum for 3 years.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:30 PM   #17
silverplum

Default Hey Hoper

I noticed in another string you picked up your third Saturn, the silver blue LW200 on April 20, 2002. I picked up our third Saturn, the LW300 bright silver on April 18, 2002.

What a coincidence!
Old 04-05-2003, 02:43 AM   #18
socketz
socketz is on a distinguished road

"(in 1997 there was no 1.9% financing and rates were high - just comming out of recession)"

There was no recession in 97.

96-99 were some of the best years the economy has ever enjoyed.

01-03 = Recession

The standard definition of a recession is a decline in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for two or more consecutive quarters. This definition doesn't even take into consideration unemployment andconsumer confidence.
Closed Thread