SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you intend to stay with Saturn despite ...
I will stay for life no matter what changes occur with Saturn 2 7.41%
The customer service won't keep this customer due to lack of enthusiasm for current/future products 3 11.11%
I have a love/hate relationship with Saturn- can't say for sure 5 18.52%
I don't know 4 14.81%
I am dissapointed with changes that have occured within Saturn, but will stay for now 8 29.63%
Other 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
saturnfreak01
saturnfreak01 is on a distinguished road

Default Can Saturn's Customer Service Fix All ?

As I no longer own a Saturn but still appreciate why Saturn was created in addition to product advantages such as polymer body side panels and a commendable retailer sales and service experience as a whole, a question comes to mind....

The Saturn as people once knew it is no longer the one car company, with vehicles coming from more than just spring hill. The UAW contract has changed, polymer panels will no longer be on Saturn's upcoming models such as the Relay minivan and most likely the next mid size replacement for the L.

The vehicle return policy has been altered, and Saturn began offering rebates destroying its 10 year history of being rebate free however Saturn's innovative one price policy remains despite criticism from industry experts.

Considering all of these changes to the Saturn brand I once knew and loved, I still stuck with the brand up through mid way 2004 with my 2003 L300 V6. I began having some problems with my L and despite the good relationship with my retailer I decided to move on.

How many of you intend to stay with the brand no matter what changes are made by the General or how much of Saturn's Character is dismantled?

Can Saturn's customer service keep you with the brand if you are unfortunate enough to buy a "problem car"? Please see the following poll...
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
GmG
Advanced Member
GmG is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1992 SC

I'm "Other". This 93 is the newest car I've owned so far, so aside from the occasional parts purchase, I'm pretty far outside the Saturn customer service loop. It's always disappointing for me to see people have bad experiences, though.

George
George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

"You shouldn't leave things in the fridge. That is the lesson."
Old 07-05-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
silverblueL200
Advanced Member
silverblueL200 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Can Saturn's Customer Service Fix All ?

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnfreak01
Can Saturn's customer service keep you with the brand if you are unfortunate enough to buy a "problem car"?
If they had the customer service to back up my problem car, I might say yes, but so far I'm in the love/hate category.

And right now I'd "love" to see this car disappear.
- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin
Old 07-05-2004, 06:57 PM   #4
vue0404
vue0404 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnfreak01
Can Saturn's customer service keep you with the brand if you are unfortunate enough to buy a "problem car"?
I won't tolerate a problem car, that's why I buy new vehicles every 2- 3 years. There are just too many good safe vehicles on the market today to put up with poor quality. If I feel that my Vue has treated me well when it's time to get a new vehicle, Saturn will be on my list to buy from. But I don't have blind loyalty to any company. I'll buy what I think is right for me, regardless of who makes it.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
dschrader
Advanced Member
dschrader is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Saturn will always be at the top of my shopping list. I agree with everything we stand for and believe that it is because of Saturn that the market has changed the way it has. I know there have been changes but what other company gives you a 30 exchange policy (I know it's not a buyback anymore but still nice) just for one example.

I'm excited about the new product lines so I'll be sticking around.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #6
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

Polymer panels are one of the reasons I drive saturns.
The sales and service experience I"ve experienced is another.
None of the 9 saturns, I've owned, has been a problem car.

If changes are made by saturn that I don't like, I'll be forced to see if another mfg is offering a better car.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:06 PM   #7
Zuul24
Zuul24 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
1994 SC2

I am in the "I don't know" category.

I have had no real problems with my saturns (except for a brake rotor destroying itself two days ago) and I do like the polymers.

I am not sure if Saturn continues down it's path if I would put it to the top of the list.

I do not like the ion. I never really cared for the L-Series. They don't have much that interests me right now.

I will keep mine until the wheels fall of (like the other day) anyway.

One thing that has never really enthuzed me is the warranty. When freaking Hyundai's and Kia's have a warranty that smoke saturn out, you would think they would up it a little.

I never thought I would EVER like a Hyundai but that XG350L is really calling to me. 100,000 Mile 10 Year warranty? Saturn.. get with it.

Chas
Old 07-05-2004, 09:10 PM   #8
matt
matt is on a distinguished road

As long as Saturns have polymer pannels I'll have one, then I'll get older models.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

The customer service is a big plus but it will ultimately come down to whether in the future Saturn produces a decent vehicle that meets my needs, at a price I find reasonable. My current Saturns are running fine and that in itself would make me *consider* buying another. If I do buy or not will be determined by what product Saturn offers at the time I want my next car.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:43 AM   #10
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

After currently owning two Saturns I plan to stay around for a while. Im not pleased about the changes being made at Saturn,and I am not pleased with the new course of (Relaying) as I call it other saturn products(Rebadging Chevys ,Buicks as Saturns) but with my VTI problems and how Saturn handled it impressed me enough to consider a Third saturn purschase.I also appreciate the way sales and service are given to the Saturn customer. It was far superior than I had recieved at Chrysler and Buick in years past.Maybe customer service and customer loyality is what will keep me in the family in the end and not so much the car itself (strange as that sounds.)
Old 07-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #11
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

saturn can service my 96 sc2 forever. however that doesn't help them with sales. i'm waiting for the kappa sports car.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
Old 07-06-2004, 10:14 AM   #12
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

I traded my problematic 2000 LS for a Corolla and don't regret it.

Toyota's customer service isn't perfect, but Saturn corporate fought me on changing my steering wheel emblem under 3/36 warranty. They wanted me to suffer for their incompetent design that required a $700 airbag module to fix an emblem.

Toyota has gone to no bargaining on the Scion line and my Toyo dealer gets almost all special order parts in 2 working days.

W/O polymer, what is left of the Saturn we loved?
Old 07-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #13
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

I enjoy the Saturn I currently have. The customer service I receive is great. I am far from another purchase, still owing ten thousand dollars and some odd change on my Ion. When the time comes for another car, I hopefully will be in a better financial situation and can afford a more upscale car. If this is the case, I would enjoy a Dodge-Mercedes, with a Hemi V8 and a six speed stick driving the rear wheels.
2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1
Old 07-06-2004, 04:07 PM   #14
Caprice
Advanced Member
Caprice is on a distinguished road

I voted "I don't know" mostly because the the nearest Saturn retailer is about 50 miles away and I don't have much interest in purchasing another one unless and until they bring a retailer closer to my area. The 50 mile drive (about an hour and a quarter at legal speeds due to traffic and small towns in the way) is just too much for routine servicing, and the not-so-routine servicing that seems to be needed anymore

I still love our Ion, but I can see that our good fortune isn't shared by everyone...
~ Simplicity is Beauty.
"Who needs electronic locks and windows, power steering, or automatic sliding
doors if you can trade it all for a little excersise and some spare change?"
Old 07-07-2004, 08:45 AM   #15
skijay
skijay will become famous soon enough

Customer Service did come through for me assisting me in getting out of my 01 L100 and into a 03 VUE.

The main reason for purchasing a Saturn originally (SL2) was the timing chain, polymer, stainless steel exhaust. Back in 1996 nothing else offered all of those features.

Now with the 03 VUE I still have Polymer, stainless steel exhaust, timing chain and also 100k tune up.

However more and more cars 20k and less offer the 100k tuneup, stainelss steel exhaust, timing chain. The only difference is the lack of Polymer.

Once the polymer goes, I will start looking elsewhere. So far the only vehicle that I would replace my VUE with would be a Honda Element. That is the closest.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:53 AM   #16
vue0404
vue0404 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by skijay
However more and more cars 20k and less offer the 100k tuneup, stainelss steel exhaust, timing chain. The only difference is the lack of Polymer.

Once the polymer goes, I will start looking elsewhere. So far the only vehicle that I would replace my VUE with would be a Honda Element. That is the closest.
I think you should give the future Saturn a chance. IMO, a steel bodied Vue( or similar product) is still better than a Honda Element. I too considered the Element, but decided it was too small, too expensive and too ugly(I know, beauty is in the eye...but you have to admit it is a homely looking little beast). Who knows what Saturn will do in the coming years.

It sounds like what you're saying is the only reason to buy a new Saturn is the polymer panels. If so, what a sad commentary on Saturn, in general, as a car company.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:15 AM   #17
HV Fam Wagon
HV Fam Wagon is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

As long as Saturn still stands behind its product and friendly Service Departments, I would stay with Saturn.

But lately, some Dealer Service Departments leave a lot to be desired. At least it's man-to-man; as compare to some other brand *cough* toy??? *cough* that treat you like an illegitimate son.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:48 AM   #18
skijay
skijay will become famous soon enough

I did not say I would not buy another one. I do recommend the VUE and ION to others.

If I wanted another SUV "type" I will look at the Element and the VUE side by side.

Eventually my "commuter" 97 SL2 will get replaced, it is starting to rack up miles. I am at 42,000 on it! There are a ton of incentives right now and they are so tempting. What would I replace the SL2 with....an ION. Same engine as my VUE, polymer panels, etc. I have thought about selling the 97 and picking up an ION2 or 3. I just do not know if I want the car payment, insurance and taxes.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #19
nitestkr
nitestkr is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Can Saturn's Customer Service Fix All ?

02 L200 will be our last Saturn.
Nothing but trouble, ign module replaced,
bcm replaced, Catalytic Converter replaced, brakes and tires replaced.
The head lights always dim and return
to normal while driving on the freeway. At night people think im flashing my lights at them. The power steering makes a noise when you turn the wheel. All this with less than 45k miles. This is my wifes car and she has to drive alot she has the car serviced every 3k miles by Saturn
yet except for the brakes and tires
they never found any of these problems before the car broke down.... oh also the gas gauge broke
$300 just to fix that... GEEZ
Old 04-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #20
ArghIGiveUp

I'm not crazy about the new cars they're releasing, to be honest. I'm also not happy with the customer service aspect of Saturn Corp. on a whole.

My local dealership still does an excellent job of meeting my parts and service needs, and ranks with me as the second best dealership of all time.

I'll still stick with used S-series cars when I'm in the market for used stuff, no matter what happens to Saturns customer service. The S-series is just such a well-engineered vehicle on a whole that I'm willing to deal with it when Saturn starts looking at me like a bum who won't buy a new car instead of a loyal customer.

Closed Thread