SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 10:34 AM   #1
LSLWSupplier
LSLWSupplier is on a distinguished road

Default Current L no-go for '06

Apparently GM finalized their decision not to extend the current L into the '06 model year.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2003, 10:36 AM   #2
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Any insight on what's to replace it?
There seems to be a handful of answers around here to what is going to happen next.
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
wxgirl
wxgirl is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line
2009 Astra XR

I did hear a dealer rumor recently that Saturn is planning on focusing the L replacement in more of the luxury car market. I can see the need but it still struck me as odd. He pointed to GM aiming towards a more Cadillac type styling. I assumed he meant a smaller Cadillac like the Catera although he didn't specifically say this.

For what its worth he also seemed to think Saturn was opting for a pickup and the Sky convertible in the next 3 years.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:20 PM   #4
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by wxgirl
I did hear a dealer rumor recently that Saturn is planning on focusing the L replacement in more of the luxury car market. I can see the need but it still struck me as odd. He pointed to GM aiming towards a more Cadillac type styling. I assumed he meant a smaller Cadillac like the Catera although he didn't specifically say this.

For what its worth he also seemed to think Saturn was opting for a pickup and the Sky convertible in the next 3 years.
1. I thought Saturn was supposed to be an entry- level, brand as an alternative to imports. Although a refined mid-size replacing the L would be nice.
2. Pickup? That's just what Saturn needs. Steel-bodied clone to the S-10. Maybe we'll bring back the the Luv pickup. Maybe a golf cart to follow?
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Old 10-10-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
cary
cary is on a distinguished road

Do you think the golf cart will include a beer cooler and navigation system?
Old 10-10-2003, 12:56 PM   #6
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

I take it the navigation system is for when you have had too much beer & can't find your way back to the clubhouse?
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Old 10-10-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

What no cries of despair from the L series faithful?

FYI. Ford sales went up after they dropped the Probe and the previous generation Thunderbird. Maybe this is a good thing for Saturn. And maybe the sales force can focus on the better selling Ion and Vue (and hopefully the Relay). And get the sales numbers that seems to be sooo important to GM.

Personally I am sorry to see Saturn drop this car so soon. After what, selling it only five years?
A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L
Old 10-10-2003, 02:28 PM   #8
silverblueL200

Its sad that they are dropping this car already, 5 years can hardly be enough to get a return on their investment. Oh well, welcome to the new world of GM.

Old 10-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #9
lewis2
lewis2 is on a distinguished road

R.I.P. it's been good to know ya L.

Imagine how bad the sales will be in 05 when it's the last year. The rebates will be chunky.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:32 PM   #10
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by rossao1
What no cries of despair from the L series faithful?
.................................................. .........................

Personally I am sorry to see Saturn drop this car so soon. After what, selling it only five years?
I don't think anyone is really disheartened to see it go. I think we are disapointed that they blew it. They could have had a real innovative car but they decided to go vanilla instead. Now that they are talking moving away from polymer, I think a lot of current Saturn owners will look elsewhere.
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"
Old 10-10-2003, 02:53 PM   #11
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

YAY! No more L!

Okay I love my L, and it's a good car, but man it's bad for the company. I really hope the V is really innovative and just an all around nice car. Here's to 2006!
Old 10-10-2003, 03:03 PM   #12
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by spork
I don't think anyone is really disheartened to see it go. I think we are disapointed that they blew it. They could have had a real innovative car but they decided to go vanilla instead. Now that they are talking moving away from polymer, I think a lot of current Saturn owners will look elsewhere.
I don't like the fact that a nice car as this going the way of the Edsel. What started out as a great move by Saturn to make a mid-size, got lost in the big GM shuffle. The problems with steering racks was never really resolved, the new restyling turned the faithful away, & polymer was slowly going away.

The car had some potential to be a sportier alternative to Accord & Camry, unfortunately, GM didn't see it that way. They should have built a "RedLine" version of the L with a V6 & 5-speed manual 2 years ago, but that was just a wet dream for SaturnFan members.
I'm sorry to see it go. I still got 47 more payments til I go shopping again. Who knows then.
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Old 10-10-2003, 04:25 PM   #13
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by UNKLE BIK
...I'm sorry to see it go. I still got 47 more payments til I go shopping again. Who knows then.
WOW, that is a long time.
A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L
Old 10-11-2003, 10:22 AM   #14
poly
poly is on a distinguished road

So what are the plans for the L or V? We're hearing all sorts of rumors of Wilmington's future products- everything from the Solstice and its' variants to a Saab SUV. Announcement is forthcoming, but of course, we've heard that one before!
Old 10-11-2003, 11:40 AM   #15
youngbishop
youngbishop is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

I did not believe that it is a good idea for a replacement. I think that it can and needs a refreshing, but lets be honest, most of our imports keep the same name and just keep working to make the car better and more appealing to buy. I have seen many of the American Auto makers change or fade out a car because it has not produce what they want. Maybe to "L" has not had if fair share of "MARKETING" as a great car to buy. Honda has kept the Accord around for a long time, Toyota, has kept the Camry around a long time, oh and like at the Hyundai Sonata this car was rated bad when it roll out, but now is rate one of the best in its class. We all love our "L", maybe a little face lift on the outside and inside, but let not kill the "L". Oh by the way I am also a mustang lover and Ford was going to kill the pony with the probe, however there was enought Mustang Lover that told Ford we did not feel that the Probe was the pony car we all feel in love with. Maybe enought of us who claim to love our "L's" should let GM, Saturn know we do not what a new car we want to keep our "L" just put some new skin on the outside and a new spirit on the inside.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:52 PM   #16
saturnfreak01
saturnfreak01 is on a distinguished road

"""They could have had a real innovative car but they decided to go vanilla instead. Now that they are talking moving away from polymer, I think a lot of current Saturn owners will look elsewhere."""

I couldn't agree more... while I like everything about my 03' L300 except the front end styling, with out polymer in the future I do intend to leave the brand, and it will NOT be for another GM make. I wish in some ways that I kept my 1998 SL, which would be completely paid off by now and still running good... (strange I know)..
Old 10-14-2003, 07:31 PM   #17
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by wxgirl

The plans I hear are still for the a "re-badged" version of the Malibu Maxx sport wagon.

I mean why not?? The RELAY is a rebadged Montana.....

Old 10-15-2003, 11:27 AM   #18
Bertillion

I hope they are still considering basing it on the Opel Signum. It's a nice looking car in my opinion.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:30 AM   #19
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

Yeah I like the Signum, I wouldn't mind if it was similar to the next generation Opel Vectra (I've seen a couple shots, but I can't locate em right now)
Old 10-15-2003, 05:27 PM   #20
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Sad to see the L will be gone....Still, better see it being killed than assimilated this once Euro-breed into another Malibu.
Closed Thread