SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 03-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
Somders
Somders is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default rear wheel alignment

how is the rear alignment adjusted? My 04' Vue Redline is eating the inside of right rear tire bad. Had it on lift trying to look for some sort of adjustment bolt but didn't see anything. Had alignment done the last time I had tires rotated and tech was unable to get the right rear to adjust any. Thought if it was a bolt I could soak it with pb blaster several times for a few days to maybe free it up and then take it back. The tire is now wore down to the belts so have to get new tires, but don't want to spend money on new tires until it is properly aligned.
Somders is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: rear wheel alignment

Do you have the print out from the alignment so we can see that actual values found?

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
Somders

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Do you have the print out from the alignment so we can see that actual values found?

-Robert
yep, right here.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:27 AM   #4
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

The technician measuring the alignment and adjusting the suspension should:
1)Adjust the right rear toe first. It maybe necessary to lift the vehicle as close to the tires but taking all the weight off the tires, then remeasuring with the weight back on the tires. It is not required to have an centric adjust.
2) Then adjust the camber to the most positive the adjustment bolt will allow on both sides also with the weight off the tires. If necessary reduce the camber of the side that is more positive to match the other side with the lesser positive camber.
3) Note adjusting camber on a Vue will not change toe but adjusting toe will change the camber. So this is why the toe needs to be adjusted first on the REAR of a Vue

When you adjust the right rear toe so the front of the tire is more inward (positive ) this will also move the camber to a more positive measurement.
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
Somders

2004 VUE Red Line

I dropped it off at shop to get alignment done and new tires installed. They called back a little later saying there are no adjusting bolts on the rear of mine and they would have to add them before they could do anything with the rear end. Centric bolts is what he called them. Does that sound right?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
JefferyC
JefferyC is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somders View Post
I dropped it off at shop to get alignment done and new tires installed. They called back a little later saying there are no adjusting bolts on the rear of mine and they would have to add them before they could do anything with the rear end. Centric bolts is what he called them. Does that sound right?
No. There are adjustments as Bern said. I visited my AllData and looked it up.
JefferyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Yes and No... the rear can be adjusted and aligned, but not from the factory. There are no cam bolts INSTALLED from the factory to allow adjustments, but they can be bought after market, installed and then aligned. My 07 had had this done on one side, don't ask me which, prior to my getting the car. When I took it for a 4 wheel alignment after replacing my front end, that is what the VERY EXPERIENCED, tech that I TRUST IMPLICITLY, who did my alignment told me. And, I have worked at two different garages that used the Hunter alignment machine that prints out the report like you show... The machine, if the tech knows what he is doing, will walk the tech through the steps to replace the factory bolt with the correct after market cam bolt and then dial in the rear suspension. I have even had some training on the machine and could, in a pinch, show how to do it. Here is the alignment print out from when I had it done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160506_143151.jpg (146.4 KB, 22 views)
aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

Last edited by lord_varon; 03-24-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: correcting information
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

My Vue came from a factory and I'm sure all of the alignment angles were adjusted to spec. At the dealership I usually adjusted the toe without replacing the toe adjustment bolt nut.
Some of the techs would install a cam nut, same as the one used for the camber adjustment.
I found that this was a usually big waist of time. The nut were frequently not in stock, while waiting for customer to approve more $ and the part to be delivered the vehicle need to be removed from the rack then alignment reset up later
The aftermarket bolts are usually thinner, can make the alignment shops bottom line fatter.
If some has a Vue that dose not have the cam nuts, they should by them in advance. Installing only the nut (11588845) should not cost more when already adjusting the rear toe.
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #9
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Bern,
I am not saying that the car wasn't aligned from the factory... obviously it had to be. What i am saying is that the factory didn't put the parts in to allow much future adjustment. But, as you and I agree, you can put parts in to allow plenty of adjustments, in more than one way.

John.
aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #10
Somders

2004 VUE Red Line

I needed the car back that day so I told them yes go ahead and add the cam bolts to get it aligned. Have had it back driving for 2 weeks now. We'll see how the tires look at first rotation. I told them I wasn't buying all 4 new tires if they couldn't get the rear adjusted as it would be waste of money if they were going to wear the rears out prematurely. I've dealt with this shop for about 15 yrs or so and they haven't done me wrong yet, so hoping this streak continues. Thanks for your replies everyone!