SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
solidhadriel
solidhadriel is on a distinguished road

Default Solid's SW2 Build

I picked up an SW2 about a month ago. I currently have a SC1 that I rebuilt and drive the hell out of, but unfortunately it's too small to transport both my dogs (100lbs husky, and 30lbs husky). So when a craigslist ad for a 95 SW2 popped up for $500, me and my buddy drove an hour to go check it out.

The drive resulted in disappointment. The car was a "rebuilt" disaster that wouldn't even turn on. The interior was destroyed, and some things were missing.

Needless to say, we headed home - but decided to check Craigslist one last time. Fortunately, a 99SW2 for a slightly higher price $900 was listed, and we decided, "What the heck? Let's check it out."

The car is located at a repair shop. It was a customer's car who dropped it off for repairs and never showed up to pay the bill or pick it up. So the shop took ownership (legally) and wanted to recoup their money from the repairs.

The car starts up just fine, but throws a CEL right away - cylinder misfire. The shop tells us the timing is off and probably needs adjusting. Otherwise its all good.

I buy it, and drive it home, about 30 miles (trying to avoid any hard acceleration or high RPMs).

We made it home: (notice the rear window. It doesn't work. lol)

My buddy driving behind me said the exhaust STUNK. So there's definitely something going on with the heads most likely.

The engine bay is a little dirty. Lots of grease, grime, and dirt underneath the hood. Sort of expected for an older car.

The Mustang loses his dual garage space... to make room for the new project.

Pulled the engine out. DOHC cams on rollers. Sweet! Didn't know Saturns had that.

Inspecting the timing chain. It was so loose, the chain could easily jump.

Inspecting the Spark Plugs... Something should stand out here.

Hmm. One of these are not like the others.

Inspecting the heads. The cylinder misfire has been leaking quite a bit of oil.

Its been a long day turning wrenches. Time for a break...

At this point, my parts order from RockAuto has arrived. So I take the heads, crank, and block to the engine shop to get work done. Shave .10 off the crank, bored out the cylinders to our new oversized pistons, and also got a complete head job done.

We get the engine block back and start the reassembly. I decided to paint the block just to clean it up a little.

Aside from me breaking off a bolt in the heads (oops ) and our crank bolt having some fitment issues, everything else was pretty much a breeze.

Car starts up and goes for its very first drive without a hitch. Very nerve wrecking on that first start up.... I drive it about 10 miles, and pull it back into the garage for part 2 of the Saturn rebuild.

Cosmetics:

I'm wrapping in an "Navy Blue" vinyl. This has definitely tested my patience and is the first time I've done something like this. One panel can take me up to 4-6 hours. Needless to say, I can't wait to finish so I can drive this sucker. Unfortunately, I'm no professional at this, so I've made mistakes in my vinyl wrap that are obvious upon close inspection. But from a distance, this car should at least look good. Haha.

At this point, I've been working on the Saturn about 3 weeks straight, dedicating at least an hour a day. Hoping to get the exterior done this weekend so I can get to more driving and less working.
1998 Saturn SC1 - 285k Miles | 5-Speed Manual
1999 Saturn SW2 - 172k Miles | Auto | The new DD
2014 Mustang GT - Garage Queen...sort of

Last edited by solidhadriel; 11-19-2015 at 02:21 PM.
solidhadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
solidhadriel

Default Re: Solid's SW2 Build

Just tested and apparently my images aren't working...Grrr. Will try and update links.

Edit: Updated with imgur links

Last edited by solidhadriel; 11-19-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Make part of your build plans putting a proper freaking door handle on the hatch, or if you're lucky it already has power locks & RKE so you don't have to goto the driver door to open the hatch. Biggest S-Series mistake I made was buying a SW2 with manual locks

If you're not in the rust belt, or just lucky, 90% of the panels come off with nearly 0 effort and the other 10% (rear fenders mainly) only require a bit of effort. Might be easier to wrap with the panels off rather than on...
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Fetch, what was different on your wagon hatch?

My 98 SW2 you can use the key in the hatch lock, or as you said, go to the drivers floor lever.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Lock wouldn't turn. Even if it did, a door handle is almost as easy as a key-fob button to work when you've got arm loads of groceries to load.

Every Subaru wagon I've had so far, from Impreza Outback to Legacy to Forester has a proper door handle! (to be fair, of the 4 Legacy wagons I've had only 1 didn't have a broken handle)

Oh yeah..lol OP's engine build up looks awesome
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
solidhadriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Lock wouldn't turn. Even if it did, a door handle is almost as easy as a key-fob button to work when you've got arm loads of groceries to load.

Every Subaru wagon I've had so far, from Impreza Outback to Legacy to Forester has a proper door handle! (to be fair, of the 4 Legacy wagons I've had only 1 didn't have a broken handle)

Oh yeah..lol OP's engine build up looks awesome
Since ya'll are wagon owners. I do have an issue I'll need to fix after this. When I hit the trunk release latch in my drivers door, it makes a grinding sound, like it releases but doesn't open. If I go to my hatch, I can then lift it up. But it sounds like a spring or something isn't fully engaging/disengaging.

Any ideas?

Also, this does have the power locks. I didn't get a remote key with mine. But I bought a remote off eBay (actually got it yesterday!) And programmed it to lock/unlock. That is so much more convenient than my SC1!!
Old 11-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2

1) What will the new displacement size be?

2) Oil drainback holes in the pistons behind the rings on the new pistons?

Nice work BTW!
1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Very nice
Bill from Extreme Southern North Carolina
'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles
Bildo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #9
shortrun
shortrun is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

All this and no pictures of the dogs?
Seriously, thanks for sharing. I really like threads like this.
shortrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
solidhadriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortrun View Post
All this and no pictures of the dogs?
Seriously, thanks for sharing. I really like threads like this.
Oops! I forgot.The helpers out front...

Notice one is on leash, and one is off leash. Bella is mischevious and has to stay grounded while Balto is free to roam. Both rescues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo Baggins View Post
Very nice
Thank you. Work in progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
1) What will the new displacement size be?

2) Oil drainback holes in the pistons behind the rings on the new pistons?

Nice work BTW!
Thanks! I went with the .020 oversize, so I believe the Pistons were stamped at .050. That's the manufactures max limit if I recall correctly. They make larger sized pistons, but I wanted to keep this a reliable build.

My SC1's new Pistons had the oil drains holes in them. These new pistons for the SW2, however, did not have oil drain holes, but notches in them which looked like oil passageways. A slightly different design. I assumed it was because it's a new design they were different. Time will tell if these ones will burn oil. My SC1 hasn't burnt any since the rebuild.

I also did .020 over on my SC1 and it pulled quicker than an SC2 with 100k miles on the block and stayed ahead of it. So hopefully this will have the same effect once the engine is broken in. I am not sure of the exact displacement figures, but from the seat of the pants, I should be happy.

Last edited by solidhadriel; 11-19-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
Steve44
Steve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really nice

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

You have a couple of beautiful dogs! (oh, and a nice looking Saturn!)
Thanks for sharing!
The SL1...The Lucky Car
The SL2..The awesome deal.
The #3 Silver SL2 FIVE SPEED!
World's biggest fan of doing it the easy way.
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Solidhadriel, that grinding sound is normal.
That's the annoying thing of the SW series noisy remote release!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:20 AM   #13
solidhadriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve44 View Post
You have a couple of beautiful dogs! (oh, and a nice looking Saturn!)
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the compliments! My kids follow me everywhere when I'm home. Always wanting to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Solidhadriel, that grinding sound is normal.
That's the annoying thing of the SW series noisy remote release!
Seriously? I need to record a clip, or better yet have someone record me a clip to compare sounds. Because it sounds nasty (and sort of scares me to use it! LOL)
Old 11-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
solidhadriel

Decided to take the 6x9s out of my SC1 and install them on the wagon. A bit more difficult, because of the speaker locations. I took a dremel and carved out the openings. Not the best install, but I got them bolted in nice and snug...

Almost complete design... (Haven't painted the roof black)

Another angle

Old 11-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #15
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Very nice!

1999 was the first year for rollers, '99 and up have them, along with the narrow head/cam cover
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #16
solidhadriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Very nice!

1999 was the first year for rollers, '99 and up have them, along with the narrow head/cam cover
Yeah I was pretty excited to see rollers. Not that they'll provide much of a benefit, but I suppose time will tell after the break in period how good this car will "pull".

Next on my list... a good rack for the top to complete the look.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:53 PM   #17
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

NOICE Bro

Curious about that wacky stick on covering stuff now. I've seen it before and may have to look at doing it on my SL2
Bill from Extreme Southern North Carolina
'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles
Bildo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #18
solidhadriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo Baggins View Post
NOICE Bro

Curious about that wacky stick on covering stuff now. I've seen it before and may have to look at doing it on my SL2
I think my job looks better in photos if i'm honest. Or in the dark. So you can't see where i screwed up lol.

Each panel I did, I got better and better. Unfortunately, by the time I finished I was using scraps because I messed up so many times. That said, I'm sure I'm not the most patient person in the world and could have done a better job had I been patient. That also said, I prefer the way it looks now MUCH more than how it looked before I wrapped the car. I plan on wrapping my white saturn with a gloss white wrap that I already ordered. I'm hoping it comes out better than my blue job since I now have the skills and understanding.