SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default service (wrench) comes on ~30 seconds after startup

1999 SC2, only work done recently was changing motor mounts (had to disconnect battery for one of them) and swapping out the O2 sensor (pre-catalytic). Now, when I start the car (so blessedly less rattly than before...) about 30 seconds later the orange Service (wrench) icon comes on, and stays on until car turns off. Car has no other issues (that I know of). Will check all fuses tonite or tomorrow. One possibility that I can think of is that the Check Engine light doesn't come on, either at startup, or with engine off and key on. I'm sort of hoping that is the problem, as it gives an excuse to swap LEDs in. My code reader doesn't read the Service (wrench) codes...
Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: service (wrench) comes on ~30 seconds after startup

The main reason for the wrench light to come on is a cluster light is out and as the CEL doesn't turn on...you've already figured out the issue
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
robb_sc2

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The main reason for the wrench light to come on is a cluster light is out and as the CEL doesn't turn on...you've already figured out the issue
This was basically my thinking, too. Guess the instrument panel comes out tomorrow, looking for a dead bulb. Count/note colours and quantity and order LEDs!
Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms
Old 08-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I will save you counting.

This is for 98-99 so if you have an earlier Gen-2 there will be differences in bulb count and if you do not have the function then you do not need the light.

Instrument backlight & Theater white 6
Red 6
Amber 6
Green 3
Blue 1

Red
tailgate
brake
hot/low coolant
oil
alternator
seatbelt

Amber
traction
upshift
service
SES
low fuel
ABS

Green
rt turn
lft turn
DRL

Blue
hi beam

Use a incandescent bulb for the digital odometer or you will eventually fail the odometer light control circuit.

Use the Super Bright LED and match LED to the lens or diffuser color or they become dim hot spots. https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...r,T1.5,21,223:

PC74 or T1.5 size and do use a PC 74 or PC73 for the digital odometer. These things are polarity sensitive so test before complete reassembly. Super bright should ship to Canada by USPS.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
robb_sc2

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I will save you counting.

This is for 98-99 so if you have an earlier Gen-2 there will be differences in bulb count and if you do not have the function then you do not need the light.

Instrument backlight & Theater white 6
Red 6
Amber 6
Green 3
Blue 1

Red
tailgate
brake
hot/low coolant
oil
alternator
seatbelt

Amber
traction - delete
upshift - delete
service
SES
low fuel
ABS

Green
rt turn
lft turn
DRL

Blue
hi beam

Use a incandescent bulb for the digital odometer or you will eventually fail the odometer light control circuit.

Use the Super Bright LED and match LED to the lens or diffuser color or they become dim hot spots. https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...r,T1.5,21,223:

PC74 or T1.5 size and do use a PC 74 or PC73 for the digital odometer. These things are polarity sensitive so test before complete reassembly. Super bright should ship to Canada by USPS.
Regular, or High Power?

do or do not use, pc74/73 for the digital odometer, I think you mean do NOT use LED for digital odometer... btw, is the odometer supposed to be backlit or something? Cuz mine is literally black on black at anything other than full sunlight, as in unreadable at night, no matter how high I crank the dimmer (which is basically always at lowest setting).
Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms
Old 08-10-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The odo has a backlight bulb and you can use a leftover PC74 bulb in it and it will work fine. Do Not put an LED into the odo backlight position, it will eventually kill the brightness controle board.

For all other positions use the high power LEDs
Old 08-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #7
robb_sc2

1999 SC2

order placed, will follow up in this thread. Maybe some before/after pictures for future references.
Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms
Old 12-13-2015, 11:16 PM   #8
robb_sc2

1999 SC2

Following up. New lights installed, the theater lights are brighter than I would like, the dimmer won't let you turn it right off. I was one Amber short (miscounted?) So I left it in the air bag. The blue one for high beam didn't work in either orientation, suspected dead. I left the incandescent, anyway always hated a bright high beam indicator.

As far as I can tell, all lights on dash are working again, but still getting service (wrench) coming on after car is running for about 30 secs. Will double check tomorrow. Meantime, I don't believe my car has ABS or traction control, or a shift indicator, but there were bulbs in those location (though they never turned on, even in the brief startup test). Any ideas what else to check for the service icon? Oh and I swapped the odo bulb for one of the less bright incandescent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151213_172202261-1024x768.jpg (115.4 KB, 13 views)
Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms
Old 12-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

This mis what sets the wrench light on a gen-2 car.
When you turn the key on and let it sit the PCM runs a bulb check, all required bulbs have to light. Check this and insure that all of these bulbs perform as described.
SES - ON and stays on until the car is started.
Service wrench - ON and then OFF
Up-shift lamp -ON then OFF manual transmission only
Low Coolant/Hot lamp - ON then OFF
Low Fuel lamp -ON then OFF (may not have one on a 97 or earlier, check your owners manual)

Do you have cruise control?

If you start the A/C by pushing the A/C button does the engine cooling fan come ON? Check this with the engine idling so you can hear the fan. Only does this if the ambient temperature is above 40F and the cabin blower is on.

Do you have ABS, Traction control? Are the indicators functioning properly?
Does operating the hand brake cause the BRAKE light to come on and go off as expected?

Look under the hood for an ABS box and a traction switch above the radio. Manual trans has the upshift light and all 99s have the low fuel light.

When you turn the key on and let it sit the PCM runs a bulb check, all required bulbs have to light. Check this and insure that all of these bulbs perform as described.
Low Fuel lamp -ON then OFF (may not have one on a 97 or earlier, check your owners manual)

Do you have cruise control?

If you start the A/C by pushing the A/C button does the engine cooling fan come ON? Check this with the engine idling so you can hear the fan. Only does this if the ambient temperature is above 40F and the cabin blower is on.

Does operating the hand brake cause the BRAKE light to come on and go off as expected?
Old 12-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #10
robb_sc2

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
This mis what sets the wrench light on a gen-2 car.
SES - ON and stays on until the car is started. --YES
Service wrench - ON and then OFF -- YES
Up-shift lamp -ON then OFF manual transmission only --STAYS ON UNTIL STARTED
Low Coolant/Hot lamp - ON then OFF -- YES
Low Fuel lamp -ON then OFF (may not have one on a 97 or earlier, check your owners manual) --YES

Do you have cruise control? --YES

Do you have ABS, Traction control? -- DONT THINK I HAVE EITHER
Are the indicators functioning properly? -- NO LIGHTS COME ON, GOOD LAMPS IN SOCKETS
Does operating the hand brake cause the BRAKE light to come on and go off as expected? -- YES, AND DRL SWITCHES

Look under the hood for an ABS box and a traction switch above the radio. -- NO SWITCH (WOULD BE ON THE CLUSTER WITH FOG LAMPS AND REAR DEFROSTER) Manual trans has the upshift light and all 99s have the low fuel light. -- BOTH THESE COME ON

Do you have cruise control? -- YES

no more wrench.... Maybe the last one was the upshift light? I hate those things.... Hmm tried taking upshift lamp out, several restarts, no wrench.
Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms

Last edited by robb_sc2; 12-14-2015 at 04:17 PM.