SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
SWargy
SWargy is on a distinguished road

1991 SC
Default Need ideas on replacing 91 SC Motor Mounts

I need to replace the motor mounts on my 91 SC and can't find any replacement parts. Since the 91 is the only S-Series with these motor mounts they are pretty much impossible to find in good condition. I've tried ordering from two different places online with no luck.

So I'm looking for any sort of ideas on how to get it fixed. I saw some info online about using 3M window weld or Polyethylene but I'm very hesitant about that. I was also thinking that maybe I could just buy the rubber, cut out what I need and replace the existing rubber as it looks like the mounts on the 91 are just small blocks of rubber, but I can't even find suitable rubber for this.

So I'm looking for ideas on what I can do to fix this. I assume it really isn't possible to find new mounts for many older cars so I'm sure people have come up with solutions for this but I just can't seem to find any.
SWargy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Need ideas on replacing 91 SC Motor Mounts

You have to determine the hardness (durometer) of the existing rubber then it may be possible to find the correct material and bond it to the steel plates.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
SWargy

1991 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You have to determine the hardness (durometer) of the existing rubber then it may be possible to find the correct material and bond it to the steel plates.
I saw somewhere the value 60H for a good value for motor mounts. Would this be the hardness and does this seem accurate? Main thing I'm worried about is getting some rubber that can't withstand the conditions that it would encounter and possibly deteriorate faster.

I also checked out saturnParts.com and a search matched the part number. One of the mounts listed is part number: 21011326 which is a lower engine mount. When I looked it up at SaturnParts.com it brought up 5 different mounts but all for different makes such as Pontiac, GMC, Hummer, Chevrolet, and Saturn. Is this the part I need and it is just used on all these cars or do they just happen to have the same part number?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
dtuuri
dtuuri is on a distinguished road

1991 SC

Me too. The donut shaped mount underneath and in the back is my biggest concern. I bought some of that poly a while back, but haven't got around to using it yet, since it's so close to the exhaust. Maybe fabricating a heat shield would protect it? I hope somebody has a good fix.
dtuuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
SWargy

1991 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuuri View Post
Me too. The donut shaped mount underneath and in the back is my biggest concern. I bought some of that poly a while back, but haven't got around to using it yet, since it's so close to the exhaust. Maybe fabricating a heat shield would protect it? I hope somebody has a good fix.
From what I've read, that donut shaped mount (vibration dampener) doesn't usually go bad and if it does, it isn't too noticeable. I'm not positive on this so someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you end up doing the polyethylene method, let me know how it goes. What kind did you buy? I stopped at a bunch of hardware stores and auto stores and no one seems to have anything that will harden enough.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
mrclean92124
mrclean92124 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Here's another thread with a link that looks live.. Not sure if you've tried this supplier or not... I see a lot of hits describing rebuilding the old mount by filling with polyurethane.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181558

Also, i've had great success for some hard to find parts on ebay motors...The great swapmeet on the internet. Here's a link from one forum on this part (i think) http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Saturn+SC+Motor

Best of luck.
mrclean92124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The hardness will be listed as a number followed by a letter, A,B,C,D etc. and specified as a harness of Shore 60A for example. Take a look at this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer

Picture...
http://www.smooth-on.com/pdf/durometer_with_logo.pdf
Old 07-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Go search for the mount par numbers here as if they show up then they are good numbers. http://parts.nalleygmc.com/default.aspx

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...&searchString=

The only current mount part is the left engine mount.

You can buy a casting polly that comes in a hardness of 60A to 80A so rebuilding is possible. Making the bond to the metal will be the touchy part.

Last edited by OldNuc; 07-02-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
dtuuri
dtuuri is on a distinguished road

1991 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWargy View Post
From what I've read, that donut shaped mount (vibration dampener) doesn't usually go bad and if it does, it isn't too noticeable. I'm not positive on this so someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you end up doing the polyethylene method, let me know how it goes. What kind did you buy? I stopped at a bunch of hardware stores and auto stores and no one seems to have anything that will harden enough.
My bottom vibration damper has play in it that allows the engine to rotate, putting a stress on the exhaust which in turn then hits on the rear axle causing vibration. My other mounts, but not the front strut assembly, were replaced a few years ago when the rubber ate away from oil leaking from the cam cover. That little problem I solved two years ago by following the guidance here: right gasket, etc.

I'm very appreciative of the advice. Followed it for starter, radiator, headliner, speedometer gear and other stuff. Thanks. Here today because with over 200,000 miles I think my timing chain is rattling and I'm looking for the how-to. If somebody offers a suggestion for the vibration damper, I'll use the down time to do that too. I have Windo-Weld 08609 by 3M.

dtuuri
dtuuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The liquid polyethylene casting material is available on eBay. Use 60A for soft warm tire type of soft and 70A for a bit harder. Clean the existing rubber with brake cleaner followed by acetone and recast it.