SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
jdd06
jdd06 is on a distinguished road

Default broken weld on exhaust system

What part is this? Can it be re-welded or is it too rusted? If it is too rusted, is this 1 part or 2 that need to be replaced?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1999 Saturn SL2 exaust.jpg (134.5 KB, 56 views)
jdd06 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: broken weld on exhaust system

It broke because it was too thin. It was too thin because it corroded at the edge of the previous weld. You may be able to trim it back 1/2' or so to get into some thicker metal so the new weld will hold.
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

A good exhaust shop can put a new flange on the rear section. The pipe is stainless steel and replacing it is expensive. The tire and brake places will want to replace it and will refuse to fix it so look for a small independent shop that does not have a national chain store name on the front.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Mine ALWAYS break there. Evil things.

If you can work on it your self you could cut off the flange on both sides and slip a 4-5" long 1.75"ID pipe over both ends and U-Bolt clamp it. Probably about a $10 fix that way (provided all you need to buy is the u-bolts & pipe), but it won't be as reliable as having it welded.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
droveavolvoonce
droveavolvoonce is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1993 SC2

OldNuc -

Are you sure that pipe is stainless? That sure looks like an aftermarket replacement that would have been aluminized at best - would an SS part have that much corrosion on the pipe at the flange end?

I just replaced the midpipe on my 95 with the Walker part, and I'm figuring it *must* have been an aftermarket part given how badly it thinned out towards the muffler end (and eventually snapped at the muffler).

Personally I'd recommend replacing the pipe if you can afford to spend a bit more. The part is about $80 plus ship for the Walker midpipe at RA - I had my local guy install it. I picked up the part from Advance Auto with 20% off coupon plus free shipping, so that route worked out better for me.

Just my $0.02 U.S.

Best,
daVo

P.S. How's the cat holding up? It looks kinda rough in the photo.
1995 SC2 Plum 4-Disc 5SPD $1495 2.17.10 (111K to present)
1993 SC2 Silver 4-Disc Auto $1500 8.2007 to 2.2010 (195K-ish JY R.I.P. 5/7/10)
droveavolvoonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by droveavolvoonce View Post
OldNuc -

Are you sure that pipe is stainless? That sure looks like an aftermarket replacement that would have been aluminized at best - would an SS part have that much corrosion on the pipe at the flange end?

I just replaced the midpipe on my 95 with the Walker part, and I'm figuring it *must* have been an aftermarket part given how badly it thinned out towards the muffler end (and eventually snapped at the muffler).

Personally I'd recommend replacing the pipe if you can afford to spend a bit more. The part is about $80 plus ship for the Walker midpipe at RA - I had my local guy install it. I picked up the part from Advance Auto with 20% off coupon plus free shipping, so that route worked out better for me.

Just my $0.02 U.S.

Best,
daVo

P.S. How's the cat holding up? It looks kinda rough in the photo.
ya i believe that part is aftermarket aluminized. stainless would'nt be that rusted. the color of the good part looks like it's aluminized. the factory stainless turns brown actually. that cat also looks like it's aftermarket & in need of soon replacement also.
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote