SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 09-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
turner1
turner1 is on a distinguished road

Default ac not working right,,please help

Can someone please tell me what I need to do .I have an 08 astray and the ax seems to have a problem it will cool down to 53degrees then it will heat up to 68 degrees. It will keep doing this as long as I'm using the ac. It just started doing this recently.the car has 88000 miles right now.is the ax compressor going out or does it need more freon. Any advice would help,,,, thanks
turner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
turner1

Default Re: ac not working right,,please help

I'm sorry that's air conditioning not ax
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

when was the last time you replaced the CAF? might be clogged. And check your condenser and make sure it isn't blocked with leaves or woodland creatures.
Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

Do you normally have squirrels crawling in your air filter lunchbox?

Although that would be a little better than a nutria rat like the ones that live around here.
~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2009 Astra XR - auto
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

never know man, lol, im just sayin, those woodland creatures will clogged anything.

LMAO!!!
Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

i have no training with AC units. However, this is my theory - if it gets cold then the system is working and I would follow lunchbox's lead. The cabin air filter may be clogged and throwing off sensors behind/before the filter so the system is getting a cold reading whil your cabin is getting hot.

I posted pictures in one of the cabin air filter threads. give that a shot along with cleaning any debris on the condenser, make sure the fins are not crumpled, etc.

if that doesnt help i am afraid you will probably need a pro to look at the system.

BTW, I bought a 95 M3 a few years ago with 180k on it. The AC barely blew cold air on full. The PO bought the car with 90k on it. I changed the cabin air filter and viola! the AC blew cold. I spoke to the PO who diligently maintained the car and he didnt know there was a filter to replace. So if you are in the same boat with 90k on it....
Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
turner1

Ok ill give it a try. I have never checked this filter.I didn't know there were sensors involved. Can this filter be cleaned or do I need to buy a new one?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S2 View Post
BTW, I bought a 95 M3 a few years ago with 180k on it. The AC barely blew cold air on full. The PO bought the car with 90k on it. I changed the cabin air filter and viola! the AC blew cold. I spoke to the PO who diligently maintained the car and he didnt know there was a filter to replace. So if you are in the same boat with 90k on it....
180,000 miles on the factory CAF!?! That thing must have looked absolutely disgusting! It's surprising how much more "stuff" a CAF will capture compared to a regular engine air filter. I swapped both of mine at 90,000 kms (I thought I had changed the CAF back at 45K but it turns out I was mistaken) and the CAF was absolutely BLACK, while the engine air filter probably could have gotten by with a simple blast of compressed air and a reinstall (swapped it out anyway).
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner1 View Post
Ok ill give it a try. I have never checked this filter.I didn't know there were sensors involved. Can this filter be cleaned or do I need to buy a new one?
buy a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
180,000 miles on the factory CAF!?! That thing must have looked absolutely disgusting! It's surprising how much more "stuff" a CAF will capture compared to a regular engine air filter. I swapped both of mine at 90,000 kms (I thought I had changed the CAF back at 45K but it turns out I was mistaken) and the CAF was absolutely BLACK, while the engine air filter probably could have gotten by with a simple blast of compressed air and a reinstall (swapped it out anyway).
it was between 90k and 180k. but even at 90k it was nasty. black, not grey
Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

There is a low-pressure shutoff to prevent the compressor from running when the freon is low. You may be right at the threshold, and the compressor is shutting off then coming back on.

I had similar symptoms. It was blow cold, then start to feel warm, then after awhile it would be cold end. It was low on freon, and in the end I got a new compressor.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner1 View Post
Replacing this filter is a bit harder than the engine air filter, but not ridiculously so. Any dealer that used to service Saturns should be able to do it painlessly, but at a cost. The "technicians" at Jiffy Lube have probably never serviced an Astra before, and will likely bend/break something. I'm pretty sure there's a step-by-step somewhere on this site, but to paraphrase:

Step 1, park your car so that you can open the passenger door all the way with room to spare (this was my main mistake when changing mine). Step 2, remove the glove box and the under-dash panel. Step 3, remove the air ducting from the center air box to the passenger foot area behind the brace that runs along the bottom of the dash. Step 4, remove the 4-6 Torx screws securing the narrow plastic cover on the side of the box (it may be held in place with some sort of adhesive as well, so take your time). Step 5, remove the filter and go "Blech!" Inserting the new filter will require twisting/distorting it to get it in place. Use your other hand and reach up from below, behind the filter to help guide it into place. If you "smoosh" the filter while installing it, don't worry, it will recover its shape once fully inserted.
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote