saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Long time no visit!

Hey guys and gals,

Its been quite some time since Ive been on here! Got really busy and sort of forgot about the forums.

Need a favor from you fine astra crowd. I had some work done on my astra after the accident in May and when they re-did my hood with the stone guard they removed the bump sticky things belonged to my bug deflector.

I need to replace these, and my local dealership doesnt have a kit in stock to give me those parts. I Have my bug deflector and the screws etc I just need all the sticky parts. The bump things, and the sticky protectors. Would prefer the original ones vs making my own if I can.

Anyone willing to drop into their local dealership and see if they have one of these bug deflector kits kicking around, and if so, if they are willing to sell those pieces out of it sepearate?

Id appreciate it very very much!

I will try to be on here more often. Just have to remember to log in once in awhile!

Christina
~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Long time no visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
Hey guys and gals,

Its been quite some time since Ive been on here! Got really busy and sort of forgot about the forums.

Need a favor from you fine astra crowd. I had some work done on my astra after the accident in May and when they re-did my hood with the stone guard they removed the bump sticky things belonged to my bug deflector.

I need to replace these, and my local dealership doesnt have a kit in stock to give me those parts. I Have my bug deflector and the screws etc I just need all the sticky parts. The bump things, and the sticky protectors. Would prefer the original ones vs making my own if I can.

Anyone willing to drop into their local dealership and see if they have one of these bug deflector kits kicking around, and if so, if they are willing to sell those pieces out of it sepearate?

Id appreciate it very very much!

I will try to be on here more often. Just have to remember to log in once in awhile!

Christina
Who are you again?

I doubt that a dealer would sell the pieces separately, since bug deflectors are still "aftermarket" (as opposed to a factory installed option). I'll try for you on Monday (you basically need everything that comes in the kit except the actual deflector, right?). You might have better luck contacting a company that sells the deflectors.

Otherwise, you can buy clear round vinyl feet in various sizes at many dollar stores. Not sure what you're referring to as "sticky protectors" though. Small clear vinyl decals perhaps? If so, GM trucks use just such a (large) decal near the wheel well opening on the boxsides to guard against rock chips. So did the Vibes. You could purchase one decal and cut your own -- if you mean what I think you mean.
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

Hey Christina! Welcome back!!

I agree with Astra La Vista that contacting the maker of the guard itself might be the best option. They probably have lots of stock lying around. However let me know if you would like me to check my local dealer. Do you have a make or model for the guard?

Hope you are having a good summer in NL! Although I heard that pretty much the "summer" warm weather never really started till like a week ago. Here in texas we are drying up. No rain, super hot temps, crops failing, people selling off livestock, you get the idea.
~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2009 Astra XR - auto
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

suck it up Bryan, lol.

welcome back, ya, probably would have better luck with the OM on the deflector. good luck.
Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Dealer here will sell em separate if they had one kicking around. They've given me parts out of one before.

And yeah its the bump protectors. Only reason I dont want the dollar store ones first is 1) I have to search for right size and 2) they may not stick well, just from experience. They have to hold up through car washes etc. I want ones that stay put and the OEM ones are sticky!!

I forget the name of the deflector (the company) will have to check that out later.

I basically need just the bump protectors. (clear plastic spheres with adhesive) and the clear vinyl film to go under the brackets although Im not too worried about this as I can just use some leftover 3m film I have. I have the screws and brackets etc.

Bryan, we had a HORRIBLE summer. Luckily I was away for most of it in Ontario enjoying that heatwave they had there. I say enjoying because as you know we dont get heat like that here often and I LOVE the heat so I loved every minute of it while friends were cursing on it lol. The last month however no joke has been constant thick fog here. It was eerie and depressing. Lasted well over a week, didnt clear up at all. The last week or two now though has been absolutely beautiful and warm. Hopefully it means a mild fall and winter! Its starting to look that way.

I appreciate you guys checking. I know I can do the dollar store thing and search for a half decent substitute, but Im just picky:P So humor me with my request Those ones once they are on, they arent moving! lol and thats what I want, especially since it has to go over the stone guard. The dollar store ones tend to be of sub par stickyness shall we say lol

Thanks!
~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)
Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

No luck at the dealer here. Not only did they not have an Astra bug deflector in stock, but the parts person was pretty sure that they couldn't sell the "extras" separately from the deflector. His best advice was to try and deal with the manufacturer directly, or possibly try Home Depot for the little clear rubber thingies (since they might sell better quality ones compared to a Dollar Store).
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
kbg1
kbg1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan
Happy Re: Long time no visit!

hi Layoira
glad to see you back.
here is what i did for my father after the same thing.

go to a computer repair store where they actually do custom computers.

there are little sticky dome shaped grey or black rubber standoffs used to keep mother boards from shorting out.they have a peel and stick coating on the bottom.
they also come with some computer cases.should be free or no more than $.10 each
i have tried to attach a picture,not sure if it will work though.
jeff

ok here is a picture link:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7823259

wohooo it worked
Attached Images
File Type: jpg standoff.jpg (6.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by kbg1; 08-30-2011 at 09:54 AM.
kbg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

thanks guys for the effort! Will make a day of it tomorrow and see what best sollution I come up with

I miss the forums. Have to try to make time for a quick read each night again!
~Christina~