saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 02-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
jamist
jamist is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default 2008 Vue XR, 3.6L V6 Tap Shifter Problem

Hi,

I just bought this beautiful beast, and I'm doing my best to make sure I check everything out so I can get back to the dealer to have things fixed.

Is there something special you need to do to make the Tap Shift function work? From a stop, I move the shift lever down into "M", and the display says "1". But when I accelerate and try to shift with the Tap Shift button, nothing happens.

Likewise, if I switch to "M" while driving, the display says (for ex.) "4". But pushing the Tap Shift button won't change the gear up or down.

Thanks in advance,

Jim D.
jamist is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
T-Bone
T-Bone is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2001 SL1
Default Re: 2008 Vue XR, 3.6L V6 Tap Shifter Problem

There is definitely something wrong there...

If you shift in to "M" from a stop it should shift only when you press the tap shifter (unless it is protecting the transmission). If you shift in to "M" while in motion it should down shift one gear and you should get a sportier feeling auto shift (a second press while in motion will change the gear up one or down one appropriately).
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
jamist

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
There is definitely something wrong there...

If you shift in to "M" from a stop it should shift only when you press the tap shifter (unless it is protecting the transmission). If you shift in to "M" while in motion it should down shift one gear and you should get a sportier feeling auto shift (a second press while in motion will change the gear up one or down one appropriately).
Thanks for the response. OK, that's what I was looking for. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Back to the dealer it goes on Monday morning!

Much obliged,

Jim D.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
Shatterproof
Shatterproof is on a distinguished road

you say 'button' you mean moving the stick up and down, right? Just want to make sure you are not just using the thumb button. If the up/down motion isn't changing gears def get it into the shop.

Thank god breaks aren't all by-wire yet.
Shatterproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
jamist

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterproof View Post
you say 'button' you mean moving the stick up and down, right? Just want to make sure you are not just using the thumb button. If the up/down motion isn't changing gears def get it into the shop.

Thank god breaks aren't all by-wire yet.
I mean the button on the left side of the shift lever. It's got a +/- rocker. There is no other place to move the shift lever once it's in M.

Maybe you're talking about a different trans?

Thanks,

Jim D.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
John
John is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Arrow Re: 2008 Vue XR, 3.6L V6 Tap Shifter Problem

I think he is referring to the regular shifter with the manual up/down button, not the $150 Tap Shift option.

I've seen it (standard shifter) incorrectly referenced as a Tap Shift around the web so it is a little confusing.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
jamist

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
I think he is referring to the regular shifter with the manual up/down button, not the $150 Tap Shift option.

I've seen it (standard shifter) incorrectly referenced as a Tap Shift around the web so it is a little confusing.
Hmm. OK, I'm confused now. I have the shifter on the right, the one you're calling "standard". But it has an up/down button on the left side of the shifter, with a +/- marked on it. And the last (lowest) position on the shifter is "M". That's "Manual" right? So shouldn't that button on the left shift gears up and down when the shifter is in Manual?

It's not doing that.

Thanks,

Jim D.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
John
John is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Arrow Re: 2008 Vue XR, 3.6L V6 Tap Shifter Problem

I only posted that picture for clarification of what "Tap Shift" is. Sorry if I confused the situation.

With the standard (or base, if you prefer) automatic shifter, the button on the left side of the shifter controls the electronic range selection, it doesn't act as an up/down shift.

From "Getting to Know Your 2008 VUE" page 18:

Electronic Range Selection
(Base Automatic Transmission)

Electronic Range Selection (ERS) enables the driver to select the top gear limit desired for the current driving conditions, such as when driving on downhill grades.

To use this feature, move the shift lever to the Manual (M) position and select the top gear limit of the transmission by selecting a lower or higher driving gear using the + / - button on the side of the shift lever. The current top gear limit will be shown on the instrument panel cluster.

If the current vehicle speed is too high or too low for the requested gear, the shift will not occur. The transmission will be limited to the gear selected and lower gears.

So for the example mentioned (declining a steep grade) if you want to use engine braking, you can hit the - a couple of times to select "4" and the transmission will only go as high as 4th gear (provided you aren't going too fast to shift into 4th). I think people also use it when trailering to keep from going into overdrive (select "5").

Hopefully this will help clear things up for you.

P.S. I think it's a bummer we didn't all get Tap Shifters. Our VUE was fully optioned except for that and I would have gladly paid the $150 to get it
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #9
jamist

2008 VUE 3.6L

Off to the dealer today, and my shifter is fixed. There were a couple of broken wires, so they replaced the shifter control.

Now when I shift to "M", the trans responds to the +/- switch as I expected it should.

Thanks to all for the input and information.

Take care,

JD
Old 07-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
dnale
dnale is on a distinguished road

After changing the transmission fluid I just noticed this doing the same thing. Did the tell you where the breaks were? This is my wife's car so the last time I drove it using the +/- button was probably a year ago.
dnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
iynocerus
iynocerus is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

I have had my 2008 VUE XE for about 6 years and it just started to do the same thing. Any advice on how to DIY the issue with the standard shifter w/manual operation?
iynocerus is offline   Reply With Quote