SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 12-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
ilvtofu
ilvtofu is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR
Default Stereo Mods

Have any of you done any modifications to your stock stereo while keeping the standard head unit?

I believe I have the cd30, there is no bass and the highs are actually a little painful for my ears.

Anyone changed the speakers, added subwoofers etc?
Eibach 15mm 5x110 hubcentric spacers with bolts PM is key!

Twilight Blue XR 3 Door
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
AstraDog
AstraDog is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Stereo Mods

I bought an in-line FM modulator and added an LED light switch to the area just below the handbrake. It works great! I just had to adjust my MP3 player's equalizer as the sound coming through the modulator had a bit too much bass and not enough treble and mids. Now it sounds as good as a CD (which has not been used in over a year).
All together it cost me about $100 and 1.5 hours.
All I had to do was loosen the center console and release the stereo so that I could appropriately install the antenna bypass and route the wires. The actual modulator was attached just behind the plastic panel on the center console of the passenger's foot well (to the left of where their left foot would be). I attached it with 3M industrial 2-sided tape.
The modulator came with a switch that was ugly, so I replaced it with a Walmart LED lighted switch. Here's a picture of the placement (I ended up drilling 2 holes as I didn't like the position of the first time around. It has been covered since).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AstraMP3Jack.jpg (94.8 KB, 177 views)
AstraDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraDog View Post
I bought an in-line FM modulator and added an LED light switch to the area just below the handbrake. It works great! I just had to adjust my MP3 player's equalizer as the sound coming through the modulator had a bit too much bass and not enough treble and mids. Now it sounds as good as a CD (which has not been used in over a year).
All I had to do was loosen the center console and release the stereo so that I could appropriately install the antenna bypass and route the wires. The actual modulator was attached just behind the plastic panel on the center console of the passenger's foot well (to the left of where their left foot would be). I attached it with 3M industrial 2-sided tape.
The modulator came with a switch that was ugly, so I replaced it with a Walmart LED lighted switch. Here's a picture of the placement (I ended up drilling 2 holes as I didn't like the position of the first time around. It has been covered since).
Don't really want to hijack this thread but do you have pictures of your dash and any other little mods you may have done.

I love the look of carbon fiber
09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Blastra
Blastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

i first replaced the speakers and added a sub, and added an amp to the stock stereo as i wanted to keep the features in the original unit as well as the computer controls.
it sounded craptacular and i eventually ended up changing the head unit anyway.
i dont believe its possible to make the stock unit sound good.
Blastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
ilvtofu

2009 Astra XR

Haha yeah, I kinda hoped that wouldn't be true :P

Where'd you put the sub?

Twilight Blue XR 3 Door
Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Blastra

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Haha yeah, I kinda hoped that wouldn't be true :P

Where'd you put the sub?
in a box in the back hatch with enough wire to move it around, the amps are mounted to the back of the back seats. so i can remove the sub if i need the room to transport something large.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
Mil
Mil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have any of you done any modifications to your stock stereo while keeping the standard head unit?

I believe I have the cd30, there is no bass and the highs are actually a little painful for my ears.

Adding a subwoofer will help about bass for sure, but replacing speakers won't help about the highs.
In fact, Mids sound agressive because of the speaker placement.
So, replacing speakers for better sounding ones could amplify that problem.
Somewhere around 2.5khz and 3.5Khz, there is a boost caused by the speaker placement.
Even by replacing the headunit and or speakers, you will still have this issue.
The only way to solve it is by placing speakers any other way, wich is very complicated or using a good equalizer.
For my own, i use a kicker 30 band equalizer hidden in the glovebox, driving a 4channel amp, driving the front speakers and a 10 inch subwoofer located in the trunk.
If you plan to build a whole system, be aware that in a sound quality point of view, you will need to correct that mid peak, so you will need an equalizer or crossover.
If you plan on replacing your headunit, try to use one with a built-in equalizer (parametric is better, if possible a built -in dsp with eq, crossover and time delay).
But if you don't mind about bluetooth, ipod integration, gps, etc. you could do as i did before replacing my headunit.
Search for a good equalizer and amplifier (a kenwood excellon KAC-X4R amp is a good choice as it has a built-in DSP, 4 channel and crossover. That's what i was using before adding my equaliser and installing a bigger amp).
Then use a line-level converter installed on your front speakers channels.
Speaking of sound quality, the CD30 is a good choice as there is no dsp, wich means that even at high sound levels, bass won't go down, so you can keep it, if you have a CD-40, you will need a MTX re-Q or something similar to go over taht built-in dsp that cuts off bass at high levels.)
Then use the equalizer to feed the amp (or if the amp has a built-in eq, you save wires, money and troubles)
Use the front channels on your amp to drive your front speakers (but replace the oem ones by new components as the oem ones are only 20wrms rated)
Use the rear channel to drive one or two subs.
Adjust your crossover points to protect your speakers and to sound the way you like. (generally somewhere between 80-100hz high pass for the front, and 80-100hz lo-pass for the sub).
Then you will have to cut about 6 to 12 db around 2.5khz -3.5khz.
Adjust all other frequencies to suit your musical taste.

Believe me, i did that and it sounds awesome, but be aware that it involes new speakers, speaker wires, power wire, and a lot of tuning.
But if you don't know anything about equalizers, remember that an eq can make any bad system sound awesome if used well, but can also make any good system sound really bad.

Nevermind replacing the rear speakers, in a sound quality point of view, you will have to cut them off anyway, rear speakers are only for surround sound or passengers, so use the headunit to power them and play with the fader function.

Front speakers are 6 1/2" , so any good components will fit the front doors, but you may have to build a speaker adapter.
Personnaly i used to have pioneer components, but i had a wire issue and one of them broke, so i replaced them by Scosche HD found at wal mart, they sound awesome and come with all the adapters and you won't have to worry about your passive crossover as it's included in the speaker magnet.
You can also use the oem tweeter panels and replace the tweeter from behind the panel, so it looks oem (there are some kind of rubber adapters that stick from behind that panel).
The most interesting thing about those speakers is that they can handle a lot of power (150Wrms), they sound really good and are really cheap (89$ CAD).

You can also start by replacing only the front speakers as they can handle more bass, and try to play around with sound settings, it may suits your needs, if not, then go with the whole system.
If you need any advices or pictures, just send me a private message, i will be glad to send you pictures by e-mail, but for security reasons, i don't like showing my sound system on forums.
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

Quote:

I don't have the link right now, but there is a really good thread and youtube video of a fellow Astra owner that installed the infinity basslink subwoofer in the trunk.
~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2009 Astra XR - auto
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
ilvtofu

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraDog View Post
I have a question about the interior trim, how hard is it to take the pieces off? I have some vinyl wrap left over and curious to try it out. I'm iffy about the cd player since it's the same colour as the rest of the trim and will stick out like a sore thumb

Twilight Blue XR 3 Door
Old 12-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

the factory speakers were unbearable so when the car was about a week old I called crutchfield and put in a set of infiniti speakers for abotu $200. It is a A>B car for me so i wasnt looking for great. I got what i paid for - better than what I had, but not great. While not great it is bearable, almost decent, or about as good as the competitions factory systems.

I wanted to spend the least i could on a car and I did. the only modification is the speakers and for the $ it is well worth it. Im glad i didnt spend $500 on the better system only to get the same speakers. I listen to the radio most of the time anyway so the cd changer while great when my kid was an infant is not too important for the short trips i take.
Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
ilvtofu

2009 Astra XR

Yeah that's the reason I want to upgrade. just the 4 speakers should be enough eh?

I officially commute to university and spend at least an hour every day in the car so every little upgrade is an investment IMO

Twilight Blue XR 3 Door
Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
Blastra

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Yeah that's the reason I want to upgrade. just the 4 speakers should be enough eh?

I officially commute to university and spend at least an hour every day in the car so every little upgrade is an investment IMO
you wont be happy with just the speaker swap. its the head unit that sounds like mud.
i would say you'd get better sound from the stock speakers with a new deck, than the other way around.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
ilvtofu

2009 Astra XR

An improvement is an improvement I guess? It depends if I can get it done for under $150 I'll upgrade my speakers/wires

Twilight Blue XR 3 Door
Old 12-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #14
Mil
Mil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
An improvement is an improvement I guess? It depends if I can get it done for under $150 I'll upgrade my speakers/wires
If you only plan on replacing the speakers, you won't need to upgrade the wires as the power coming from the headunit will remain the same.
150$ is ok for a good set of components for the front doors.
If you have some skills, do it yourself and get yourself a good set of components for the front doors only, nevermind replacing the rear speakers, it's worthless and a lot of work.
Good sound quality set-ups often use only front speakers and a subwoofer.
I suggest the scosche HD 6 1/2" components sold at wal-mart.
This is exactly what i got to replace my broken pioneers and they sounds almost as good as the pioneers use to, they are a lot cheaper (89$ CAD for the schosches and 300$ CAD for the pioneers) and way more easy to fit in the doors as they come with all the adapters.
They can handle 100Wrms and it will leave you enough money to buy another set to replace the rear speakers if you want to replace them.
Having the same speakers models and brands is better for sound quality.
Also, they can be used as components or coaxials, which means that the tweeter can be mounted in the stock locations in the front doors, and in the middle of the speakers for the rears.
And if after awhile you decide to use an amplifier for those speakers, then you will have to replace the wires, but the speakers will handle the power from the amplifier.
In fact, to be honest, i liked the sound of those speakers so much, that i installed another set in my pick-up truck too.
They are amplified in my car an only powered by the headunit (without any crossover) in my truck.
In both cars, they sound really nice.
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #15
cristidb
cristidb is on a distinguished road

2007 Astra XR

Factory speakers are crap, CD30 MP3 is not.
I have upgraded the sound on my astra keeping the HU and the result is very good.
NEVER use the rear speaker outputs of the CD30 MP3. They have high pass filter built in. The bass is week, there is nothing below 50Hz. Just cut the wires from the back of the HU.
The front outputs are ok, but they distort the sound at high levels even when the amplifier has no load, only a high/low converter connected to the outputs. Set the fader at -6 and leave it there, This way you get a clean sound up to maximum volume setting.
Cut the center speaker wires. The center speaker is conected to the + of one fron speaker and the - of the other.
Connect the front speaker wires to a high/low converter.
I have used a 4 channel amplifier, 2 channels for front speakers and 2 in bridge for the subwoofer.
The sound is loud and clear.
I have used a Magnat amp, 2x75W +1x220W RMS, MTX XT10AV sub and MTX T6S652 components.
The AR pin of the HU, not connected to the factory wires is the remote out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imagine230.jpg (180.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Imagine232.jpg (126.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Imagine.jpg (78.8 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by cristidb; 12-08-2010 at 03:43 AM.
cristidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #16
HaulAstra
HaulAstra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristidb View Post
Factory speakers are crap, CD30 MP3 is not.
I have upgraded the sound on my astra keeping the HU and the result is very good.
NEVER use the rear speaker outputs of the CD30 MP3. They have high pass filter built in. The bass is week, there is nothing below 50Hz. Just cut the wires from the back of the HU.
The front outputs are ok, but they distort the sound at high levels even when the amplifier has no load, only a high/low converter connected to the outputs. Set the fader at -6 and leave it there, This way you get a clean sound up to maximum volume setting.
Cut the center speaker wires. The center speaker is conected to the + of one fron speaker and the - of the other.
Connect the front speaker wires to a high/low converter.
I have used a 4 channel amplifier, 2 channels for front speakers and 2 in bridge for the subwoofer.
The sound is loud and clear.
I have used a Magnat amp, 2x75W +1x220W RMS, MTX XT10AV sub and MTX T6S652 components.
The AR pin of the HU, not connected to the factory wires is the remote out.
How do you compensate for the harsh midrange - do your amplifiers have adjustable gains for some frequencies (besides simple high/low pass filters)?

My current setup involves a powered subwoofer getting its signal from the rear speakers. I added a Re-Q to boost response at lower frequencies, and turned the HU bass down to -5 to remove some of the muddy mid-bass from the cabin speakers (still running off CD30's amplifier). It sounds much better, but the sound is rather lifeless - it needs better equalization and more power.
2008 Saturn Astra XR 5 door, manual trans., heated seats, stability control
1991 Mercedes-Benz 560 SEL
HaulAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:58 AM   #17
cristidb

2007 Astra XR

There is no harsh midrange. I think your problem is related to your speaker setup and the fact that you take the signal for the subwoofer from the rear speakers.
Look in the attach image to see how the output on the rear speakers looks when the HU is playing pink noise. The chart for the front channels is almost flat but I don't have a picture.
I have made the same mistake as you did using the rear speaker outputs and I could not compensate the lack of low frequencies. I had kick bass and loud midrange but no deep bass even with the bass boost set high from the amplifier.

My advise is to use the front speaker outputs only and not to use any speakers on the HU. Also set the fader to -6. This way you will get clean sound from the HU up to maximum volume. If you have speakers amplified by the HU it will distort at high volumes.
Leave the bass enhancement switch to off on the re-q because you won't need more bass as the volume goes up. CD30 Mp3 does not remove bass at high volumes, there is nothing to compensate. Only play with the gain settings.
Try not to use bass boost from the amplifier. Most of the time it won't sound good.
I have the bass set to 0 and treble to -3 from the HU, bass boost off from the amplifier, the crossover for the subwoofer at about 70Hz and the crossover for the front speakers at 40Hz.
I have listened systems 2-3 times more expensive then mine and they don't sound any better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cd30mp3qt4.jpg (49.4 KB, 67 views)
CBR 600 F4i
Opel Astra GTC Sport 1,6 124HP, Sport pack, 17" wheels, Superchips remap, K&N filter, VXR intake pipe, Eibach Pro springs, Magnat amp, MTX speakers and sub
Old 12-10-2010, 02:23 AM   #18
cristidb

2007 Astra XR

One more thing, try playing with the phase of the subwoofer. Mine sounds way better with the polarity reversed (180 degree phase change). This way it seems all the bass is coming from the front.
This has to do with the car's shape and subwoofer and speakers placement.
CBR 600 F4i
Opel Astra GTC Sport 1,6 124HP, Sport pack, 17" wheels, Superchips remap, K&N filter, VXR intake pipe, Eibach Pro springs, Magnat amp, MTX speakers and sub
Old 06-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #19
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

Is it bad that what really motivates to install a subwoofer in my Astra is to listen to some DubStep? I'm sure it would get good usage with regular tunage as well, but the debstep would really rock it.
~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2009 Astra XR - auto
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #20
Blastra

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallNewfie View Post
Is it bad that what really motivates to install a subwoofer in my Astra is to listen to some DubStep? I'm sure it would get good usage with regular tunage as well, but the debstep would really rock it.
I love dubstep. you should hear Skrillex through my system. pioneer head with a 300W amp, and a 12" sub with a 1000W amp. the rearview mirror is unusable with it cranked. or maybe its my eyeballs vibrating,not the mirror,lol