SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 10-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
VolvoDude
VolvoDude is on a distinguished road

Default Changed Clutch, Starter won't spin/engage (starter clicks)

I just helped my friend change his clutch on his 98 SL1.

The job went all right, though we had a hell of a time getting the transmission back together with the engine. We had everything aligned, it just wouldn't fit together, until we turned the input shaft about 2 degrees.

Once we did that, it slipped back together no problem.

To get to the clutch retainer bolts, we spun the engine with a torque wrench on the crank pulley bolt. We spun it in both directions.

We put it back together, and went to start it and it cranked at first but didn't start. Then after a few times, we pushed the car to try to jump start it.
Once we moved it, the starter will click and the cabin lights go out as though the starter is drawing power, but it no longer cranks.

What's the deal? Could we have wrecked the starter motor or something by spinning the engine? I don't think the starter is engaged unless it's spinning, right?

I thought maybe the ring gear was in some weird position, so...
We also tried pushing it in gear - we can move it in 3rd and higher, but not 1 or 2. Then we tried roll-starting it from about 5mph, which didn't work either.

Suggestions? Whack the starter? We already wiggled the battery cables significantly back and forth.
The battery was out of the car Saturday to Monday night, as we had to wait for new axle nuts.

Any factual ideas are appreciated

The Volvo Dude

(Thread moved from L-series tech)
(Now that I think about it, we did flex the battery cables, and one of those probably runs directly to the starter.)
I own 2 Volvos (740Ti and 240) and have friends and family with SL1's. One's 94, one's 98
VolvoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
VolvoDude

Default Re: Changed Clutch, Starter won't spin/engage (starter clicks)

This Thread here: /forums/showthread.php?t=109741 (Put it on the end of saturnfans.com. Saturnfans won't let me post a url yet)

Describes the exact same issue we're having. Yes, I'm looking through the forum while I have a "HELP!" post up.
I own 2 Volvos (740Ti and 240) and have friends and family with SL1's. One's 94, one's 98
Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoDude View Post
This Thread here: /forums/showthread.php?t=109741 (Put it on the end of saturnfans.com. Saturnfans won't let me post a url yet)

Describes the exact same issue we're having. Yes, I'm looking through the forum while I have a "HELP!" post up.
Did you get all the ground lugs connected? On mine (96 SW2) there were 4 ground lugs that were connected to the top two bolts holding the transmission to the engine.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
VolvoDude

I'll check the ground cables, but I'm pretty sure they're all attached. I did notice some corrosion on them, but nothing that should stop all the power flow from a starter motor.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

The starter draws quite a few amps. I'd suggest cleaning up those ground connections and the battery connections, then make sure the nuts and bolts are tight.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
VolvoDude

Just checked to see if it would start with the clutch disengaged (foot off pedal) and the clutch safety switch bypassed.

Disconnected the clutch cable at the pedal and depressed it.

It cranks over just fine. Must be something not assembled right.

Can we adjust the clutch fork through the inspection plate? Is that a stupid question?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
VolvoDude

All rightey.

Today, I tore the car back apart. The throwout fork retainer pin was not attached and the fork was sitting off its pivot just hanging out.

I did everything but unbolt the pressure plate and reinstalled in under 7 hours, including buying new trans fluid.

Here are two hints I haven't seen anywhere:

When you reinsert the slave(?) cylinder, there should be pressure against you inserting it. If there isn't, check that the throwout fork is in correctly.

Instead of using a huge lever and putting awful stress on the suspension bushings, do this:
Loosen and partially remove the axle nut (you will need to hold it from turning with the brakes). Unbolt the two 18mm strut bolts and the (steering) tie rod.
Put the axle nut on so that the end of the CV axle and the nut are flush, then knock it loose with a hammer. Do the same with the tie rod and its castle nut. This will protect the threads from off-target hammer whacks and keep you from needing a new CV axle or tie rod end for $60.

Now you can remove the CV axle from the steering knuckle, tie up the brake caliper, and lean the steering knuckle/hub out of the way. Simple, fast, nice to your suspension and shouldn't mess with your alignment.

And remember to empty the transmission fluid before you remove the driver's CV axle.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

When you remove the strut-to-knuckle bolts, you spoil the alignment.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
Dr. Sprock
Dr. Sprock will become famous soon enough

do not whack the starter, you might damage the magnets,

also, be careful not to put any pressure on the starter housing,

the gap between the armature and magnets is very tight,

any mis alignment might mean a frozen armature,
Dr. Sprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
VolvoDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
When you remove the strut-to-knuckle bolts, you spoil the alignment.
What does it spoil? The camber? It can't affect the toe, and the caster doesn't have an adjustment that I can see.

If it knocks off the camber, what's the way to adjust it? Moving the strut mount bolts? The strut to knuckle bolts don't have any play in them at all.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

It's how the camber is set. By this time in history, most of our cars are on aftermarket struts, and most are slotted, or have eccentric bolts ("camber bolts") for setting the camber.

FYI: Caster is set by elongating, front-to-back, the three stud holes for the strut top mount in the strut tower (body).
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote