SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Saturn4life
Saturn4life is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Manual transaxle pops out of gear while driving.

This is my first post since joining a few days ago.

Today while driving my car it popped out of gear while I was accelerating from a stop. I had shifted it from first to second and right about when I was going to shift it from second to third it popped out of gear, I quickly shifted it into third and it did it again, finally it just stayed in gear and everything was fine. It did it one last time on my way home thankfully I was a little more prepared this time. The first time almost got me rear-ended. To add to that when it did pop out it made a HUGE noise. I'm unsure of if it was just the shifter popping out or from something else it was so sudden I couldn't really hear where it came from.

Now I had a focus that did the same thing and it ended up being a broken transmission mount. Is there a common problem with these cars that cause them to do this?

The car has 257,000 miles on it and I was planning on replacing all the mounts under the hood and a lot more things too since most of it's original. I'm the second owner and I know the first owner did not drive the car like I do. I do realize that just about everything needs to be replaced but I don't have the money to go out and buy it all right now so I'd like to do the more important things first.

I'd like to start by replacing things that need to be done right away and then replacing other things after those.

Also I've got a problem with my idle. When I stop it will idle at about 2500 rpm and stay there unless I shut the car off or sometimes if I just rev it up a bit.

Any advice from past experience or from what you have hear would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I have this in the right area and I apologize if I'm repeating something that's already been discussed. I have done some research and I would like to hear what you all have to say.

Thank you!
Saturn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Manual transaxle pops out of gear while driving.

Welcome to the forum.

Your car has 257,000 miles on it, I think that pretty much takes you out of the "common" problem criteria. You didn't mention which year/model you have, but with that many miles and at least 8 years of age, I would say it is common for mounts to break, especially if they weren't replaced when they started to fatigue.

As for the idle issue, check the ECTS. If that is fine, check the throttle body. It will be caked with carbon and could possibly be sticking open a little. Check this thread for some very helpful videos.
My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Saturn4life

2001 SC2

Oops! Haha sorry it's a 2001 SC2.

Yeah I know it's a lot of miles but it still runs great. It is on it's second motor. That was replaced by the previous owner at 200,000 with a motor with about 67k at the time of installation.

I guess I'll start with the mounts then. Thank you for your reply!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
Saturn4life

2001 SC2

Since I'll be replacing just about everything on the car..

Anyone have any suggestions on what brand of parts I should get?

For the shocks and struts I was looking at getting the Monroe sensa-trac quick struts. All of the suspension and components are original. There isn't really any problems with it but I'd just like to change them out along with all the bushings too. For being all original it rides great.

I do get snow where I live and the car is already low enough so I'm not interested in lowering it.

I am interested in replacing the suspension bushings with poly ones. So if there's any kits available let me know.

Name off anything you can think of that I should replace and what I should replace it with. All input is much appreciated!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

There are no shocks on the car. The Monroe quick-struts haven't been out for long, and they have a characteristic squeak in the top cushion (aka "squeak-strut"). They may have solved it by now, but I would contact a tech at Monroe directly before pulling the trigger. And only do it if you also need top-mounts and the price is better than buying struts and top-mounts separately. Don't bother with the quick-struts for the rear (if they're even available), since the rear top-mounts very rarely need replacement, and borrowing a spring compressor from the FLAPS to use on the rears is very easy.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
Saturn4life

2001 SC2

I know there's no shocks I misspoke. I've heard of the squeak problem of those Monroe struts and that's something that would drive me bonkers. I kind of wanted everything replaced since it is such a high mileage vehicle. I'd hate to just buy one thing and have another part break awhile later.

Good idea on calling them I'll get to that as soon as I can.
Try using your turn signals. It's easy I promise!

01 sc2 263k