SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 11-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
nanotech
nanotech is on a distinguished road

Default sl1 98 obx 4in1 header instalation with a/c system

ok i am close to buy an OBX 4 to 1 headers kit for my sl1 sohc 1998 with a/c

my question is will it clear that A/C compressor rear bracket for the number 1 cylinder if it doesnt what modification should be done to make the header fit

thank's

steve
nanotech is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
jcasekim
jcasekim will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
Default Re: sl1 98 obx 4in1 header instalation with a/c system

My OBX header was touching the AC compressor bracket. It fit, but I didn't like it touching. First I put washers behind the AC bracket to make it stand off a bit more from the block, so then the bracket didn't touch the header but then the A/C compressor wouldn't bolt in correctly so I had to take the washers out.

Then I drilled a little hole in the AC bracket where it touched the header. My largest drill bit was only 3/8" so the bracket still touches the header but not as much. Next time I take off the bracket, I plan to use a rotary tool to grind the hole bigger so they no longer touch. I guess there's not much harm if they touch... some heat will transfer from the header to the bracket but I don't think enough heat will transfer from the bracket to the A/C compressor to cause problems. At least that's my theory.

However, I have the SL2 DOHC with the OBX 4:2:1 header, so it's a slightly different design from what you are putting on. I suppose those really serious about performance would just remove the A/C compressor, condenser, evaporator, dryer, and tubing to reduce weight. Then you could wrap your header and eventually install a turbo or supercharger where the A/C used to be! No condenser means more space up front for an intercooler, right? But then not sure if anyone turbos the SOHC engine.

Last edited by jcasekim; 11-27-2009 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Added comment about removing A/C
jcasekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: sl1 98 obx 4in1 header instalation with a/c system

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcasekim View Post
I suppose those really serious about performance would just remove the A/C compressor, condenser, evaporator, dryer, and tubing to reduce weight. Then you could wrap your header and eventually install a turbo or supercharger where the A/C used to be! No condenser means more space up front for an intercooler, right? But then not sure if anyone turbos the SOHC engine.
If he were serious about performance, he'd either swap in a DOHC or get another car. People have turbo'd the SOHC engine, and after much work and expense, not been faster than a DOHC with cheap bolt-ons. The SOHC doesn't breathe well enough to be worth trying to build for performance.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote