SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
klpete
klpete is on a distinguished road

Default Help with broken rod please!

Hello all-

My oldest son has a 2002 SC2. He recently heard a bad sound and had the sense to pull off the road and call AAA. We had it towed to our mechanic. He said that one of the piston rods was broken and that a new engine was needed. Way out of line with what we paid for the car. Does anyone have a source for a piston rod or piston/rod assembly? Would you recommend replacing all 4 or just the broken one? It had been burning about a qt. of oil every 2-3K miles prior to this. Maybe replace that piston and the rest of the rings?
My mechanic said that replacing the rings runs the risk of blowing out the valve seals from the increased compression. Any truth to this?

Is replacing the piston(s), rod, rings something a fairly good home mechanic can do in a weekend? Is there anything else you would recommend doing while I'm down there?

Thank you very much from a newbie on the forum,

Kirk
klpete is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
topcat
topcat will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Help with broken rod please!

At the very least I would think that the block would have to come out to be inspected for damage. A used engine will probably be your cheapest option. Best of luck.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
scottyboost
scottyboost is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat View Post
At the very least I would think that the block would have to come out to be inspected for damage. A used engine will probably be your cheapest option. Best of luck.

I agree. Plus whatever caused 1 rod to break will likely cause others to fail as well.
98 SL2 207k, still getting 28mpg city
86 Buick T-type 228k, extreme tire shredder
scottyboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpete View Post
My mechanic said that replacing the rings runs the risk of blowing out the valve seals from the increased compression. Any truth to this?
I'm no expert, but...

If the valve seals were strong enough to withstand the compression from a brand new engine, why would they suddenly not be able to withstand the compression just because you replaced the rings, bringing the compression back up to like-new?
Cars would be blowing valve seals every time a new engine was started!

Junkyard engine is probably the fastest/cheapest way to go, if your son needs the car right away. Removing/replacing is remarkably easy on these cars... by far the easiest cars I've worked on (again, not a pro here)

He can then rebuild the other engine at his leisure, so he has a backup when needed
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
azrocketman
azrocketman is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Hello all-

He said that one of the piston rods was broken and that a new engine was needed. Way out of line with what we paid for the car. Does anyone have a source for a piston rod or piston/rod assembly? Would you recommend replacing all 4 or just the broken one? It had been burning about a qt. of oil every 2-3K miles prior to this. Maybe replace that piston and the rest of the rings?

Kirk
Connecting rods typically do not just break. Was the engine exceeding redline when it broke (e.g. racing, missed shift)? Was the engine low on oil?

Did the mechanic drop the oil pan to confirm the broken rod? If not, how did he verify the broken rod? If there's a hole in the side of the block the engine is an anchor (and not a very good one). As a start, the cylinder will require inspection to see if it was gouged by the broken rod. I'd be hesitant to replace just the broken parts in the engine and, as a minimum, I'd completely rebuild the short block assembly (bearings, rings, pistons; non-destructive inspection of remaining rods, crankshaft). If the engine has over 100k miles I'd consider rebuilding the head also. Except for an experienced individual this is not a weekend job.

Considering the cost of the engine inspection and rebuild, I agree with the other folks on this forun that a used engine is your best bet.

Steve
azrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ good points. Time for a second opinion? New mechanic?

Maybe we should start with what sounds your son heard, how the car felt/reacted, other symptoms. Have you looked at the engine at all yourself?

Were there any problems before this bad sound, any rattling, vibrating, knocking, etc.?
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Hello all-

My oldest son has a 2002 SC2. He recently heard a bad sound and had the sense to pull off the road and call AAA. We had it towed to our mechanic. He said that one of the piston rods was broken and that a new engine was needed. Way out of line with what we paid for the car. Does anyone have a source for a piston rod or piston/rod assembly? Would you recommend replacing all 4 or just the broken one? It had been burning about a qt. of oil every 2-3K miles prior to this. Maybe replace that piston and the rest of the rings?

Is replacing the piston(s), rod, rings something a fairly good home mechanic can do in a weekend? Is there anything else you would recommend doing while I'm down there?

Thank you very much from a newbie on the forum,

Kirk
Remove plugs, put straws down the cylinders. Crank over the engine by hand via the crankshaft bolt on the passenger side. If the straws move up and down, your rod is not broken.

A broken rod also means that the walls of the combustion chamber can be damaged, which means it need to be rebored...again its $$$$

Oil level?? Sounds like it ran out of oil....

New (used) engine is best. rebuilding may save a little but take alot alot longer (if you do it yourself).

Either way more testing is needed or you need to post everything the mechanic did to know the rod is broken. the 3rd gen rods are the beefiest rods the s-series has....
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote