saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default I guess it was inevitable....front strut mounts & struts replaced

The front end rattle was getting annoying so I brought the VUE in before it's out of warranty (probably another month or so and I'll cross 36k miles). They replaced both front struts, the strut mounts, and the brake caliper bushings. I guess that's the SOP for "front end noises." I'd already done the bushings about 15k miles ago. Anyway, I should get it back tomorrow and it was all covered under the factory warranty. I was even a nice guy and hit the top strut bolt with PB Blaster a couple of days ago.
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: I guess it was inevitable....front strut mounts & struts replaced

Ritz ... Do you suppose the dealer will permit you to look at (and perhaps photograph) the strut mounts?

There's supposedly some sort of rubber bushings or spacers incorporated in the strut mounting to isolate strut metal apparatus from vehicle chassis and I'm having a difficult time imagining what those parts looks like.

Several Vue owners have injected silicone spray and other lubricants in the area at top of strut mount to eliminate - or at least reduce - all sorts of squeak, squawk, rattle and clacking noises.

I've used silicone spray with good results but its probably a short-term fix at best.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'll see if I can snag one of the old mounts.

Cheers,
Old 11-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Getting the mounts replaced is a right of passage as a VUE owner. Congratulations. You've now reached Level 2 of VUE ownership. In just a few more levels, you'll have your own seat on the spaceship.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
revue
Advanced Member
revue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Getting the mounts replaced is a right of passage as a VUE owner. Congratulations. You've now reached Level 2 of VUE ownership. In just a few more levels, you'll have your own seat on the spaceship.
Whatever you do, don't let go of your toolbag!
revue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Ritz ... Do you suppose the dealer will permit you to look at (and perhaps photograph) the strut mounts?

There's supposedly some sort of rubber bushings or spacers incorporated in the strut mounting to isolate strut metal apparatus from vehicle chassis and I'm having a difficult time imagining what those parts looks like.

Several Vue owners have injected silicone spray and other lubricants in the area at top of strut mount to eliminate - or at least reduce - all sorts of squeak, squawk, rattle and clacking noises.

I've used silicone spray with good results but its probably a short-term fix at best.
They wouldn't give me or let me see the "broken" mount that they removed. Also, now that I've seen the invoice it says they only replaced the mount and strut on one side (grrrr....who only changes ONE strut?) and the "sway bar bushings" (part #15858799). I'll drive it later and see if the noises are gone. My wife hopped in and made a beeline for the supermarket so I haven't taken a look yet.

Cheers,
Old 11-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...They pulled that with me also ,just replacing ''one'' rear shock , Who does that !!! Cheap dealerships ,that's who , LOL, DC
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

When I got my strut mounts replaced, the work order said something along the lines of:

"Removed strut mount, verified corroded upper strut mount, replaced with new revision part"
'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Ritz ... at least there's one plus from your warranty repair ... you still have money to pay for groceries (until the other strut goes).
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Ritz ... at least there's one plus from your warranty repair ... you still have money to pay for groceries (until the other strut goes).
I normally change struts around 40-50k miles anyway, but perhaps I'll just bite the bullet and replace the other strut and mount (which I'd just do myself) so they're both of the same vintage.

I finally pried Mrs. Ritz away long enough to drive it. They also flubbed the alignment after changing the strut so the steering wheel is now a few degrees off to the left when the vehicle is driving straight ahead. So effing bush league. I want to like these guys, but they keep screwing up every chance there's an opportunity to do so. It's unfortunate that GM has so little control over the quality of the service experience (assuming that they give a rat's patootie). This just reaffirms my decision to avoid GM vehicles in the future, should they not wind up going out of business.

Cheers,
Old 11-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #11
xylene
xylene is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
They wouldn't give me or let me see the "broken" mount that they removed. Also, now that I've seen the invoice it says they only replaced the mount and strut on one side (grrrr....who only changes ONE strut?) and the "sway bar bushings" (part #15858799). I'll drive it later and see if the noises are gone. My wife hopped in and made a beeline for the supermarket so I haven't taken a look yet.

Cheers,
With us being on our second VUE, '04 and now '06, both have had this repair. Both had one replaced first and the second within a month later. The new one is nice and quiet and will let you hear (and also them), that the other one is going.

We are now concerned that we developed a bearing problem at 30,000 miles. I have to jack it up tomorrow to do a quick check... My main ride is a Honda Ridgeline... If it wasn't for the Honda power plant, I would have gotten rid of the vue long ago. The 2006 quality has increased over the '04, but the cost of ownership would be way too high if most of these repairs had to come out of pocket... Only three more months left to the warranty... If it is a bearing, I hope it’s fixed before I have to pay for the cheap quality... Don’t get me wrong, overall we’ve been real happy with the VUE…
xylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Update:

Yesterday the other side starting making a terrible squeaking noise and would knock pretty loud on cracks in the road. Took it in this morning and they replaced the strut and strut mount on the other side. Now the noises are gone. Thank goodness....since I hate doing struts without a lift.

A good friend of mine bought his VUE a month after I got mine (cuz he liked ours) and his is suffering from EXACTLY the same noise. However, he ignored my suggestion to take it to the dealer a few months ago and now has 39,000 miles. Looks like he'll be paying out of his pocket. Pity. This shoddy GM workmanship is going to be their undoing.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ritz; 12-03-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I had one replaced under warranty and one replaced out of pocket. It actually wasn't too terrible of an install (but I'm no stranger to suspension work in my garage). And to be honest, I actually perferred doing it myself since when I had the dealer do it, I was without wheels (no loaners available at the time) for 2 days. At least when I did it, it was done that evening.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #14
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
I had one replaced under warranty and one replaced out of pocket. It actually wasn't too terrible of an install (but I'm no stranger to suspension work in my garage). And to be honest, I actually perferred doing it myself since when I had the dealer do it, I was without wheels (no loaners available at the time) for 2 days. At least when I did it, it was done that evening.
Yeah, I can do it too. I've probably done struts on 20-30 cars, but it is a pain in the rump without a lift, the wall mounted spring compressor, etc.

Well, at least they're both done now. I just looked underneath and you're not going to believe this....the passenger side swaybar endlink was changed, BUT the driver's side wasn't (even though the work order shows TWO were changed). Grrr....rather than lose the use of the car for a 4th day, I'll probably just do that myself and eat the cost of the end link. Grrrrrrr....

Call me old fashioned...call me anal...call me whatever...but it just wouldn't occur to me to change one strut or one spring or one end link or only one brake rotor or brake pads on only one side. Some things are just supposed to be done in pairs. Sigh...

Cheers,
Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #15
xylene
xylene is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Update:

Yesterday the other side starting making a terrible squeaking noise and would knock pretty loud on cracks in the road. Took it in this morning and they replaced the strut and strut mount on the other side. Now the noises are gone. Thank goodness....since I hate doing struts without a lift.

A good friend of mine bought his VUE a month after I got mine (cuz he liked ours) and his is suffering from EXACTLY the same noise. However, he ignored my suggestion to take it to the dealer a few months ago and now has 39,000 miles. Looks like he'll be paying out of his pocket. Pity. This shoddy GM workmanship is going to be their undoing.

Cheers,

I told you so... By the way, our problem was the bearing on the front passenger side. Also while there they had to fix the ignition as it was sticking...
xylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #16
hein
Advanced Member
hein will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

I took my Vue to Saturn of Beaverton Oregon before the warranty was out and complained of looses and noises in the front end. They never took it for a test drive, checked the alignment (which I paid for) and said they couldn't find anything wrong. The looseness gradually got worse and I finally could afford to replace the front struts with a set of KYBs. The stock struts were shot so I saved them. My strut mounts are still making noises and I've been able to quiet them down temporarily by squirting PB Blaster in them. I found this thread and approached the Dealer and Saturn customer service about making it right and covering the cost of my repairs under warranty. No chance! I think the only way I'm going to get any justice is in small claims court.
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
I took my Vue to Saturn of Beaverton Oregon before the warranty was out and complained of looses and noises in the front end. They never took it for a test drive, checked the alignment (which I paid for) and said they couldn't find anything wrong. The looseness gradually got worse and I finally could afford to replace the front struts with a set of KYBs. The stock struts were shot so I saved them. My strut mounts are still making noises and I've been able to quiet them down temporarily by squirting PB Blaster in them. I found this thread and approached the Dealer and Saturn customer service about making it right and covering the cost of my repairs under warranty. No chance! I think the only way I'm going to get any justice is in small claims court.
Better do it while they're still in business.