SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 10-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
nathan06a
nathan06a is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Dizzy alarm troubles?

so i've had my 08 astra xe5 for about 3 weeks already. and about once a week after i lock my car and walk off the alarm will go off! it's happened about 4 times already. has anyone else had this problem? any suggestions?

thanks ahead.
nathan06a is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: alarm troubles?

Make sure all the doors and the hatch are closed all the way. Sometimes I don't slam the hatch hard enough, and it latches but not all the way.

Does the alarm go off right after you set it, or at random times afterwards?

I had a '97 SL2, and its alarm would randomly go off. One of the switches in the door was bad and would cause the car to think the door opened.

If it happens again, I would check all the doors, and go to the hatch and pull on it (but not the release button) to see if it moves. That will tell you if it's not closed.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
nathan06a

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
Make sure all the doors and the hatch are closed all the way. Sometimes I don't slam the hatch hard enough, and it latches but not all the way.

Does the alarm go off right after you set it, or at random times afterwards?
thanks for the reply! i've already checked to see that the door are all closed properly.

yesterday it went off about 3 mins after i got out, locked it, went inside and got a key and went out to the back to open a shed at work.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

The alarm will only go off if a door or the hatch is opened. In my SL2 I found the problem by opening a door and noticing that the dome light didn't come on for about a second. That told me the switch was sticking.

When you are driving, pay attention to the door/hatch open lights on the dash and see if they flicker. If they do, that means the door isn't closed all the way or the switch is bad.

Of course there could be some other electrical problem. A bad computer could cause it, along with any sort of wiring issue.

If/when you take it in to the dealer, keep in mind that a problem like this can be hard to diagnose. It doesn't happen all the time, so it will be hard for them to duplicate it. Even if they do realize there is a problem, everything might work just fine for them.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
nathan06a

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
The alarm will only go off if a door or the hatch is opened. In my SL2 I found the problem by opening a door and noticing that the dome light didn't come on for about a second. That told me the switch was sticking.

When you are driving, pay attention to the door/hatch open lights on the dash and see if they flicker. If they do, that means the door isn't closed all the way or the switch is bad.

Of course there could be some other electrical problem. A bad computer could cause it, along with any sort of wiring issue.

If/when you take it in to the dealer, keep in mind that a problem like this can be hard to diagnose. It doesn't happen all the time, so it will be hard for them to duplicate it. Even if they do realize there is a problem, everything might work just fine for them.
thanks for your help! it did it again today while i was at work... i'm beginning to think it's possesed! :P

i'll be sure and keep a look-out for any lights. but when i got home i double checked all the doors again. our keys don't have like a hidden panic button do they? lol.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Nope, there's no hidden panic button.

I noticed there is a pin switch on the hood. I thought it was tied to the alarm, but I set it and opened the hood and nothing happened. Not sure what it's for.

It sounds like there is a problem the dealer will have to address. If the doors and hatch are indeed closed, then it's not operator error. It will be helpful for the dealer if you can pay close attention to what's going on and give them some more clues.

The dealer may have some fancy computer tricks to finding out what is happening. I doubt it records which door set off the alarm, but sometimes on computer problems they can tell what's wrong even if it's working fine at the moment. When the BCM in my parent's L200 died, it left me on a long road trip with no A/C, no power locks, no radio, no gauges, etc. But when my dad took it in everything worked fine, but they still knew the BCM was out.

Another thing to try is to set the alarm and go around to each door and pull on it back and forth. Maybe even get your fist and bang on the door near the switches (I'm not sure if they are on the forward or rear of the jam). See if one sets off the alarm.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
nathan06a

2008 Astra XE

awesome thanks for your help! thursday is my only day off from work so i might just take it in then lol.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:13 AM   #8
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

Hey Nathan,
Just wondering if you ever got the alarm issue fixed? I am having the same issue now, and was wondering what yours happened to be?
Thanks!

Bryan
~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2009 Astra XR - auto
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote