SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
mommynj1
mommynj1 is on a distinguished road

Wrench 1996 Sl Saturn

Greetings!!! This is my first time blogging ever!!!! It was suggested that I blog in this area about my daughter's car....Here goes front passenger's side mount has a broken screw, a loose screw and one still in tact I was told that if last screw comes out engine will fall out?.....service enginge soon light comes on periodically...coolant light flashes on and off constantly......purchased mount for repair...curious as to the cost for repairs...thank you in advance for your help....taking it out this morning for the repairs...will post ending results
mommynj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 1996 Sl Saturn

Well there are actually 5 fasteners in that mount. Three on the engine side and two on the frame side. I think you are probably talking about the studs on the engine side. I'm pretty sure the engine won't actually hit the ground if that last one lets loose but, it'll be real bad even if it doesn't.

As for how much to replace, that depends on you and on what's broken. If it is the studs that are broken, this shouldn't be too bad. However, if it's the timing chain cover that the studs go into, it's a lot bigger job. First get some new studs and nuts from the dealer to go with that mount. Next put a piece of wood on a jack to protect the oil pan and support the engine on that. A floor jack works best but, you can use the scissor jack that comes with the car. Take loose the fasteners and remove the mount. Hopefully, you just have some broken studs and you can remove them with locking pliers. Put the new studs in the timing chain cover, put the new mount on and tighten things up. I believe the torque spec on all the fasteners is 37 ftlbs. Last under the car at the dogbone mount loosen (don't remove) the two bolts through the frame and retighten them.

If the timing chain cover needs to be replaced, that's a lot bigger job.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
mommynj1
mommynj1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Well there are actually 5 fasteners in that mount. Three on the engine side and two on the frame side. I think you are probably talking about the studs on the engine side. I'm pretty sure the engine won't actually hit the ground if that last one lets loose but, it'll be real bad even if it doesn't.

As for how much to replace, that depends on you and on what's broken. If it is the studs that are broken, this shouldn't be too bad. However, if it's the timing chain cover that the studs go into, it's a lot bigger job. First get some new studs and nuts from the dealer to go with that mount. Next put a piece of wood on a jack to protect the oil pan and support the engine on that. A floor jack works best but, you can use the scissor jack that comes with the car. Take loose the fasteners and remove the mount. Hopefully, you just have some broken studs and you can remove them with locking pliers. Put the new studs in the timing chain cover, put the new mount on and tighten things up. I believe the torque spec on all the fasteners is 37 ftlbs. Last under the car at the dogbone mount loosen (don't remove) the two bolts through the frame and retighten them.

If the timing chain cover needs to be replaced, that's a lot bigger job.
Car was repaired with replacement of mount and new screws all at a total of $75
mommynj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

$75 isn't a bad price from a shop.

BUT spend some time on this forum and we probably could have talked you through it, or found you someone close to do it for pizza.

The coolant light flashing can indicate low coolant in the resevoir, and can also be caused by a dirty resevoir messing with the sensor. If it's full of coolant, sometimes cleaning the tank will cure the problem.

The Service Engine light has a lot more variables that can cause it. My suggestion would be to try and find a local parts place that scans codes for free, and have them scan it when it happens again. In my area Autozone does it free of charge. Be warned though, they do it in the interest of selling parts (obviously!), so if possible get them to scan it an actually give you the code number or numbers. That way you can possibly save money checking out things yourself, as some codes are set by things as simple as a loose gas cap or similar type "easy" things.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote