saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
Saturn_ol'timer
Saturn_ol'timer is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2002 SL
Default Replaced valve body; getting DTCs P0732, P0733, P0734

I have an automatic 2002 SL1 with 300,000+ miles. The transmission began slamming into reverse and from 3rd to 4th around 298,000 miles. Checked alternator, fuses, and did Wolfman's reverse slam cure around 304,000 which helped slightly. I drove a few more thousand and decided to replace the valve body after Barn_Owl and Rickystarshine's recommendations

Today I replaced the valve body (thank you, Vlad06) with one I got from a reputable Ebay dealer. I drove about 250 miles, trying to do the "learn in" for the PCM adaptives. This was my first vb install, so I was unsure what to expect.
Harsh shifting in all gears initially.
Reverse seemed very weak...the car actually rolled forward when I let off the gas. It sometimes slammed.
Several times after slowing, the transmission wouldn't shift out of 1st or 2nd; I pulled over and restarted the car and it shifted ok.
The SES light came on about 100 miles into my trip and the scanner pulled 3 DTCs: P0732, P0733, and P0734 which are 2nd, 3rd and 4th Incorrect Gear Ratios.
But what seemed crazy was that the transmission shifted 4 times from 0 to 60 mph... at least the tach dipped 4 times. This is a 4-speed not a 5-speed.

At the end of the trip, all shifts seemed smoother most of the time, except 2-3.

Is this all "normal" as the PCM relearns the adaptives or not? The DTCs bother me. I have not retorqued the input shaft nut yet. Thank you for your help guys!
Saturn_ol'timer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: Replaced valve body; getting DTCs P0732, P0733, P0734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn_ol'timer View Post
But what seemed crazy was that the transmission shifted 4 times from 0 to 60 mph... at least the tach dipped 4 times. This is a 4-speed not a 5-speed.
That's because you have a torque converter. And once the car is warm it will lock the converter, hence "another shift". It isn't really it's like a 300 RPM drop.

Also you shouldn't be getting an SES light. Where did you get this valve body, how much did you pay for it, and did it come with a warranty? Sounds like a bad solenoid or a few.

The re-learning is long sometimes but it shouldn't be throwing SES codes, unless the computer things the relearning is a problem.
/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

After I replaced a bad gear 4 solenoid, I did not have to do anything special to make the car relearn how to shift and did not get the error codes again. Look at my photos to see an example of a bad solenoid. If you still have a good solenoid from your original valve body, then you might have to transplant a solenoid from your original valve body into your new valve body or from your new valve body into your old valve body.
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

Here's a video from tspoof showing how to replace a solenoid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUSSj_2eHUY
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlee View Post
After I replaced a bad gear 4 solenoid, I did not have to do anything special to make the car relearn how to shift and did not get the error codes again. Look at my photos to see an example of a bad solenoid. If you still have a good solenoid from your original valve body, then you might have to transplant a solenoid from your original valve body into your new valve body or from your new valve body into your old valve body.
That's because the entire system wasn't altered. Simply a mechanical piece.
/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Saturn_ol'timer

2002 SL1
2002 SL

Special_Forces, Thank you for explaining about the pseudo-shift from the torque converter locking...it was about a 300 rpm drop. I only pd $70 total for the valve body. The guy had 100% positive feedback on these vb's though. Here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

He has offered to send me another one.

Edlee.....I appreciate your help about solenoid replacement. I understand that the continuity test will show if a solenoid is bad electrically. But an acuator that tests good electrically can still be bad mechanically. I just am not comfortable trying to test them myself mechanically yet.

I did find that Wolfman posted this info on another thread:
No or very delayed REVERSE with NO PROBLEMS with ANY OTHER GEAR = VALVE BODY ISSUE only 99% of the time

No or very delayed REVERSE WITH PROBLEMS with other FORWARD GEARS (especially 2nd) = LOOSE INPUT SHAFT NUT 99% of the time.

So I think maybe I should replace the input shaft nut since 2-3 is slamming and reverse is slipping. Sound like a plan? Anyone think of something else that would be a better next step? I just changed the ATF to Mobil-1, and now I am going to have to drain it out

Does anyone know if I might have to get the dealership to reset the PCM adaptive parameters inorder for the PCM to begin its "relearning" process?

Thank you guys!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #7
Saturn_ol'timer

2002 SL1
2002 SL

Update!

The input shaft nut was NOT loose...111 ft-lbs exactly.

But the output shaft nut was about 90 degrees off. Replaced it.

Probably won't get it all back together until the weekend.

Does anyone know the symptoms of a loose output nut?

Thanks to anyone who knows!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #8
EvilSL2
EvilSL2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Lots of good info in this thread!

I had hard shifting and reverse slam back in January and swapped out valve body's and it shifted like a new car.

Jump to the other night and 4th gear goes on vacation with out me. I trashed my old valve body so I dont have any spare shift solenoids to swap out.

Turns out the ebay store I bought my valvebody from went "out of bussiness" so what ever warrenty I had is gone now.
Jeremy Vickers

01 Saturn SL2 auto.

"For every abused saturn, Wolfman kills a kitten."
EvilSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
Saturn_ol'timer

2002 SL1
2002 SL

Update...

Valve body pulled same DTCs, but it shifted smoothly. Except reverse slipped and slammed. So it is going back.

Use my ohm meter to check the solenoids on the original valve body. Guess what! The line pressure solenoid is out of spec. So I hope to install the original valve body with the new solenoid tomorrow. That shows that you can have a bad solenoid with no codes! Will update if the new solenoid fixes all.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
Saturn_ol'timer

2002 SL1
2002 SL

Hallelujah! It was the line pressure solenoid! Trans shifted very smoothly after the solenoid replacement. I could not really tell that the PCM was relearning. And best of all, no reverse slam! Thank you guys for all your help!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #11
renegdewolf
renegdewolf is on a distinguished road

Okay question I'm a VW guy, my Girlfriend has a 99 4 door Sl automatic, roughly 180K. Sometimes reverse is difficult to get into but in stop and go traffic the car sometimes doesn't want to go into 3 or fouth gear on the highway. the est way to explain is Atlanta traffic if she gets stuck it doesn't want to up shift she has to let the car cool motor off and then proceed to drive. what is the possible remedy, she is also throwing the same codes 732,733,734. And how long/how much could it cost to fix. any help please
renegdewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You probably have several issues. The links below, specifically the first one explains what the problems may be. A couple of questions: What brand and type of ATF and filter are you using and when was it changed last?

Best guess is valve body and input shaft nut.

Transmission repair
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...nput+shaft+nut

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112858

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164114

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164115

Transmission gasket and nuts part numbers
21003202 is the valve body cover gasket. This fits 96-02
21001684 is the end cover gasket. This fits 91-02
21001679 is the output shaft nut. This fits 91-02
21001680 is the input shaft nut. this fits 91-02

Saturn OEM Parts Source
GM Parts Center- http://gmpartscenter.net/
GM Parts Giant- http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/
GM Parts Direct- http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Get Saturn Parts- http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643
GMparts4U.com- http://gmparts4u.com/
Your local dealers - http://www.partsvoice.com/

Source for good rebuilt valve bodies and this is teh part I would change first as it is the easiest to do.
Valve body rebuilder: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-PARTIN-C...item2c73cd566c

Get in touch with this seller and be sure you are buying the full SONNAX upgrade set and tell him the codes you are getting and what reverse is doing. He will help you get the trans running correctly.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote