SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-04-2020, 12:18 AM   #1
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default AC compressor interchange

So my 98 SL2 will just not hold AC refrigerant for more than about a month. I've replace the high and low port valves, as I know that use to leak because I could HEAR them leaking after removing the cap, but now it seems it's the compressor that's leaking, as the front of it is wet with compressor oil... I'm not putting any more R134 into it lol, not until I put another compressor on it.

So I work in a salvage yard, and we got in a low mileage SL with a fresh reman compressor on it. Today I snagged it, both of the lines on it, the bracket that it mounts to the block with, the brand new expansion valve that was also in it, and some other little odds and ends because I'm a parts hoarder lol.

My only hesitation about the compressor fitting is that it's a 2002 model compared to my 1998...

Has anyone ever fit a 2000-2002 style compressor onto the previous generation SL? Both are twin cams, look identical under the hood at first glance, but I haven't held the compressor up to the one currently in my 98 for comparison or anything...
98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: AC compressor interchange

Look up compressors on RockAuto and then look at the applicability list for one.

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Looking at the part numbers, 94-98 are the same compressor and 99-02 are the same compressor. I'm not sure what the deference between the two are so it may still work, but you may have to do some extra work to retrofit it.
97 SL2, auto, 119K miles
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The fittings on the compressor change, I'm not sure on the things at the other end of the lines. Also, the harness connector change's...the '93 I had used the same connector for the A/C as the O2 sensor (and OBD-1 didn't catch it, just gave me ~18mpg).

They should "bolt onto the engine" swap '91-'02 but beyond that...no idea.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I know that there are some fit issues for GEN3 as the air pump is in the way. If you get an earlier generation it doesn't clear the workings of the air pump.

I'm not sure about backwards compatibility of putting a GEN3 on an earlier generation. I think it would come down to fittings as mentioned and that can probably be worked around.
1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Well I got the lines and fittings complete that were bolted to the compressor, and I also grabbed a couple inches of the plug harness because I anticipated that possibly being a little different too

If that's all it takes then it's worth it in my case, considering what I got the compressor for!

I'll get a closer look with them side by side soon and see how it goes. I will update as I progress!

Old 03-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #7
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

Well I'm going to be letting my mother borrow the car for about a week or so, so today I went ahead and topped off the refrigerant. She blows cold, for now, for who knows how long lol. But while I was in there I took a look and snapped some photos, and honestly it may be more straight forward than I was making it out to be. It almost looks like I could reuse my 98 lines on this 02 compressor, and even the clutch plug looks the same at a glance. I noticed the 98 has a support bracket on the rear where the 02 didn't have one, but there are threaded mounting bosses in the rear of the 02 compressor, so if they line up I will go ahead and use them!

But I'm not going to be attempting the fitment until I get the car back from my mother. It works fine for now, so I don't want to dig into it just yet lol.

I already have a new dryer and o-ring kit, bought it with the high and low port valve cores a while back and just never tore into them, but I'll install it all with the compressor if it all works out.

Don't mind my leaky valve cover gasket either... Just replaced the darn thing a couple months ago...