SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 09-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
cwl5005
cwl5005 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default energy suspension bushings

I have a 01 sc2 and I was thinking of having energy suspension bushing kit installed. Has anyone done this and is it worth doing? if anyone can help that would be great.
cwl5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Evil_SL2
Evil_SL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: energy suspension bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl5005 View Post
I have a 01 sc2 and I was thinking of having energy suspension bushing kit installed. Has anyone done this and is it worth doing? if anyone can help that would be great.
would these happen to be the same thing? http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum/sho...actory-Housing!
Evil_SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member
Redhotftw! will become famous soon enough

no.

-----

Why do you want ES?

Certain ones are good, others there is no reason to replace unless they are bad and some just suck.

Example: the LCA to subframe bushings. The ES ones are historically terrible. On that location the best replacement is the Moog rubber.
1998 "Red Hot" Sc2
Redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
Evil_SL2
Evil_SL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhotftw! View Post
no.

-----

Why do you want ES?

Certain ones are good, others there is no reason to replace unless they are bad and some just suck.

Example: the LCA to subframe bushings. The ES ones are historically terrible. On that location the best replacement is the Moog rubber.
Thanks for clarifying that for me Redhot.
Evil_SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I replaced all my rubber bushings with the ES bushings on my '92. It was my autox/track car.

Was it worth it? It took me and a friend an entire weekend- lots of fasteners didn't want to come out. I had to replace both rear lateral link to knuckle (upright) bolts. I had burnt rubber stains all over my garage floor and driveway. They were loud and creaky during the winter. And the right sway bar to LCA bushing came apart at an autox. For a street only car- definitely not worth it. For a play car like mine- I would not have done it when I did it (it was one of the first mods to the car).
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
cwl5005

2004 VUE Red Line

i was looking at

HyperFlex Master Kit Saturn S Series 91-02
Part Number: 18.18101

thank you for all the replies
Old 09-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
droveavolvoonce
droveavolvoonce is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1993 SC2

Hi.

I purchased the 'Master Set' of these bushings a while back, gradually putting them in when it makes sense to do so - and I am not using some of the bushings that came in the set( I have the RED ones).

Let me know which ones you are looking for specifically out of the set and I'll let you know if I'm using them.

For example - I just replaced my lower control arms in the front with MOOG. The arms came with rubber bushings in both ends and I decided to not bother putting in the poly bushings, so I have those up for grabs.

Best,
daVo
1995 SC2 Plum 4-Disc 5SPD $1495 2.17.10 (111K to present)
1993 SC2 Silver 4-Disc Auto $1500 8.2007 to 2.2010 (195K-ish JY R.I.P. 5/7/10)
droveavolvoonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
tacticalturkey
tacticalturkey is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Have run Energy Suspension bushings on my chevelle, old Nova and my old pickup. The Chevelle was rear control arm bushings, and I didn't lube them enough and they squeaked!
The nova was front control arm bushings with a little more lube: better and ALOT more firm, just from those(the old ones were pretty worn though)
The pickup: I put rear control arm bushings in and got smart, I drilled and tapped small holes in the outer metal sleeve to be able to apply more silicone grease, but can't find it in a grease gun tube! The are alot better too!
Want to put them on my SL1...
My $.02
tacticalturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member
Redhotftw! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalturkey View Post
Have run Energy Suspension bushings on my chevelle, old Nova and my old pickup. The Chevelle was rear control arm bushings, and I didn't lube them enough and they squeaked!
The nova was front control arm bushings with a little more lube: better and ALOT more firm, just from those(the old ones were pretty worn though)
The pickup: I put rear control arm bushings in and got smart, I drilled and tapped small holes in the outer metal sleeve to be able to apply more silicone grease, but can't find it in a grease gun tube! The are alot better too!
Want to put them on my SL1...
My $.02
You should have installed Zerk fittings in the holes you drilled.
You could sub a lithium grease for the silicon.
It would have been cake to squirt lithium in there through the fittings.
1998 "Red Hot" Sc2
Redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: energy suspension bushings

I have them on the SC2's front stabilizer bar mounts to the subframe. The original rubber ones were mushed out and so I thought I'd use the ES bushings (with lube fittings ) as replacements.

Wow, big difference. Worth every penny. Of course the old ones were shot, so anything probably would have made a difference. No squeaks because I lube them at every oil change (synthetic grease only).

On the other hand, on my last truck (K1500 Chevy) I replaced every piece of rubber in the suspension, front and rear, with ES parts. It handled better but there was no practical way to lube most of the bushings, such as on the rear leaf spring shackles. So eventually they started squeaking, especially when the weather was cold and humid. Not so pleasant.

Personally, I would not replace everything in the SC2's suspension with ES parts, just the sway bar mounts (I'll do the rear bar mounts one of these days, and then only with ones equipped with lube fittings).

Just my $0.02 as well. Others I know absolutely swear by them and would install them on their kitchen blenders if ES made something for that purpose.
DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
cwl5005

2004 VUE Red Line

Thank you for all the input.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
tacticalturkey
tacticalturkey is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

@ Redhotftw!
I did put zerks in, but still couldn't find the grease, which I believe is dielectric grease. I did get one of those little refillable grease guns with the thumb pump for my chainsaw and impact gun. I'll probably get another one and put the silicone paste in it for the bushings I have yet to buy or install.
tacticalturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
G.M.
G.M. is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

if you get the black bushings, they are graphite impregnated. That means, you won't need to lube them, and are a lot less likely to squeak.
I've had mine in for 3 or 4 years now. I had a set come apart on the LCA's, so I also replaced the LCA's with regular rubber, and kept the poly in the rest of the car.
As for feeling a difference...no, not really. But my rubber components weren't blown out yet.
turbo saturn - 400 club
www.sixthsphere.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3895969/1998-saturn-s-series-sl2-sedan-4d
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote