SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 04-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #21
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Brake life?

I have 25k on the car and have not touched the brakes. I even had the 25k service and there were no suggestions to do anything yet. No squeaks or anything...maybe just slightly less sensitive on the pedal than when new. If I had to guess, I may do 60/40 city/highway driving and I don't over-exercise downshifting either. I'm pretty satisfied so far with the brakes....and they stop damn good when I need to in a hurry!
-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

2017 Regal GS, 20", fully loaded

1987 Z28 - modded
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #22
hoody123
hoody123 is on a distinguished road

Appreciate all the advice folks! As to where I am, basically the middle of no where - I'm 2.5 hours North of Toronto

I'm gonna take it in to the shop at school (yep, I"m a dreaded teacher :P ) and see what the auto teacher has to say.

As to price, I <believe> that the $500 quote was just for the rotors and pads for the front and nothing else, (it was my wife that had it at the shop and she didn't exactly press for details!), but I'll be calling around to a few different places and getting some quotes.

I'll keep you apprised of any updates!
hoody123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #23
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Ive autocrossed rotors from autozone. I have tracked rotors from autozone and they have all worked fine. Sure you can complain all you want about stuff made in china, but I wouldnt be surprised if most OEM rotors are made in china in the first place. The main concern is the ones that autozone are using are probably in the reject pile from the OEMs. China is plenty capable of making cast iron products. In fact the process was first invented in china in the 4th century. Its super old and not complicated. The duralast rotors are a bit expensive for the Astra, but for most cars for the price its just easier to use them and throw them away everytime you change pads.
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #24
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

DO NOT cheap out on your brakes - pads & rotors. Buy quality! you get what u pay for. and nobody turns rotors on a lathe anymore. once a rotor warps it will never be straight again.
Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #25
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

In reply to: oilburner

It really depends. All of the parts store rotors I've bought have been crap, but it's pretty application specific. For the difference in price between the cheapie parts for the Astra, I'd not feel bad about buying a name.

I do wish I could find Brembo blanks for the Astra. I'll probably end up buying them from Europe.

Fronts: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brembo-Brake-D...item4ceb647e2b

Rears: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rear-Brembo-Br...item439abe34ed

Brembo upgrade rotors are available as well.

Fronts: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brembo-Brake-D...item5d2aea72e1

So, they're out there, and IMO are worth the trouble. I don't like having to work on brakes at all, so if I can reduce the times I have to do brake jobs, I'll do whatever I have to do, even if it means spending extra money.
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #26
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla sky View Post
In reply to: oilburner

It really depends. All of the parts store rotors I've bought have been crap, but it's pretty application specific. For the difference in price between the cheapie parts for the Astra, I'd not feel bad about buying a name.

I do wish I could find Brembo blanks for the Astra. I'll probably end up buying them from Europe.

Fronts: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brembo-Brake-D...item4ceb647e2b

Rears: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rear-Brembo-Br...item439abe34ed

Brembo upgrade rotors are available as well.

Fronts: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brembo-Brake-D...item5d2aea72e1

So, they're out there, and IMO are worth the trouble. I don't like having to work on brakes at all, so if I can reduce the times I have to do brake jobs, I'll do whatever I have to do, even if it means spending extra money.
You could always get a custom set of rotors made for you. I had these rotors manufactured for my Astra by Coleman Racing. They can pretty much make anything that you want.

http://www.colemanracing.com/

phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #27
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Have any of you actually gone to autozone or napa and checked what country the brakes actually came from? Since they all are pretty expensive I wouldn't be surprised if they really are the same as OEM brakes.

I remember a while back when buying rotors for a newer, less common car, the rotors from NAPA said made in Italy. And after more research Brembo was the only other one that carried blanks for the car. Pretty sure they were the same, but they were 80$ for the NAPA rotors.
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #28
williamgcastro
williamgcastro has a spectacular aura aboutwilliamgcastro has a spectacular aura aboutwilliamgcastro has a spectacular aura about

I could be totally wrong on this but:

I thought that I read somewhere that saturn speced larger front rotors for the NA Astra to give the brakes a "feel" that drivers over here are used to. Therefore it might not be possible to just order rotors from europe. Has anyone ever gotten rotos from europe.

I have also had good luck with turning rotors after they warp. I have heard others say that they are never the same and can't scientifically disprove the claim but I turned the front rotors on my vue about 20000km ago and have not had a problem since.

Regards

Wily
williamgcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #29
FooBag
FooBag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I'm going to add to the "Autozone rotors are crap". I've warped (3) sets of front rotors in about a year on my Impala. During this time period, I have not raced the car once. I will not be buying Autozone rotors again. I will be buying rotors made by EBC, as they are cast in the UK and I've had very good luck with their pads. It looks like the fronts can be had for about $91 each with free shipping from Amazon. Link

As for rotor original & discard thickness, Napa has great information. Link
2008 Astra XR3
2012 Silverado Crew Cab
FooBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #30
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla sky View Post
I'm beginning to think most people here would be happy driving around in Yugos.
Or Hruck Bugbears.

Cheap <> less metal. "Inferior" can = less metal. "Cheap" = less $$$. Best way to compare? Ask to see both at the counter side-by-side. While you're at it, look at the box and see where they're made.

Made In China <> "crap". If you give any Chinese manufacturer enough money to make your products, they can put a man into space -- and they have. The Western consumer, by a fair margin, is responsible for all of the "crap" that comes out of China.

I've got 87,000+ kms on my car with 90% highway driving and a manual transmission, and I won't need new pads until about 2018 at this rate. Predicting changing lights and traffic flow can go a long way in increasing the life of your brakes (and increasing fuel economy), which is nowhere near the comparison to autocross when you are braking hard and late 100% of the time.

And brake rotor warpage is a myth -- at least as most people understand it:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:56 AM   #31
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2008 Astra XR

Hi all,

I'm coming up to 80 000 km (50,000 miles) and my brakes still have a lot of life left. I do quite a bit of highway driving to work, but the drive back is a torturous stop and go agony. I also try not to accelerate to stop signs/red lights and sometimes gently weave within my lane to bleed off speed if I'm coming up to a slower car.

OK, back to my point, since I am keeping my Astra once the lease ends, I wanted to have an idea of brakes cost and availability. Discs are reasonable, pads a little pricey, all parts in stock. Here's the interesting bit, the parts guy told my mechanic that these are the same parts that go on a Saab. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a 9-3 is built off a Vectra platform, still that's not an Astra, but can anyone confirm this?
Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Saturn 5dr XE (Opelized) Astra
2008 Saturn 3dr XR (to be Opelized)
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #32
kbg1
kbg1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan
Happy Re: Brake life?

our astra has almost 50k(almost 3 yrs) on it,brakes are fine.
unlike our ion which had 2 rotor replacements and a rotor resurfacing with in the first year of its life.
my hhr has the same rotor problems as the cobalt and ion's.
very short life.
jeff
kbg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #33
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

im still running on my original set of brakes as well. guess when you have a standard you tend to let the motor be brake as like in the big trucks. Engine brake is the best way to keep your brakes around for quite a while. When coming to a stop if im in 5th gear i gently ease the brakes on, but at the same token let the motor do the rest of the work while still in 5th gear, i do not press my clutch in until im at 1k rpm. guess this is why with 51k on the car i still have my brakes and rotors.

Must be my style of driving.
Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 AM   #34
wandern
wandern is on a distinguished road

I still have all original brake components after 100k miles on my 5-speed. Although the manual transmission certainly makes for less brake use, the components used on the Astra also seem to be quite durable. I dread replacement time- I only hope that the OEM replacement parts are still made in Europe somewhere.
wandern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 AM   #35
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

Well, I am not as fortunate as you guys. Even though I have a manual, I tend to have the clutch in whenever I'm not accelerating. Probably due to learning to drive standard on my own as an adult. But because of it, I now have like 51,000K on the car and my brakes are starting to squeal. So that means I will now be asking my parents for brakes and maybe tires for christmas instead of money. The factory wheels are finally starting to wear out after two cross country trips. Plus I think the hot roads of texas aren't helping.

Oh, and lunchbox, there is a post on service locations in houston in the tech forum and I thought you might be able to give them some pointers. And did you move recently? I thought that you were always listed as Houston and now it says humble? just wondering.
~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2009 Astra XR - auto
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #36
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

if u decide to replace the rear disc pads and rotors, u will need a special tool to collapse the caliper.

two or more years ago, a member on this site actually listed the original brake pads and a source other than the dealer. try searching.
i have 27000 miles on my '08 astra xr 5spd. i have just started to feel the old warped rotor vibration.
Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #37
hoody123
hoody123 is on a distinguished road

I put nearly 120k on my car prior to the front brakes needing done. Back brakes still have a bit of life left. Price to get it done at Chev dealer was nearly double what it was at a well respected local garage.

The shop had never done brakes on an Astra before, but the mechanic indicated the brakes were VERY similar to a VW's brakes.
hoody123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #38
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gssaturn View Post
two or more years ago, a member on this site actually listed the original brake pads and a source other than the dealer.

Thanks 72g! I will look that up. I try to what I can with my cars if stuff isn't covered by warranty, but I think I will wait on DIY brakes. With only one vehicle, it being out of commission is not good! I had the issue with changing my own oil, where I had all the tools (proper sockets & bits etc...) however once I got the old oil taken out I realized I needed a socket extension for the socket on the oil filter cover to reach my ratchet. Luckily I had been changing it outside of my work so I went in and managed to find a pair of pliers that I could wrangle it off with. I almost had to put new oil back in in order to go and get a filter and then change it all again.

Anyone know what the cost of getting OEM at a dealer would be, and how much a good set from an outside mechanic would be? Not the bottom of the barrel cheapest, but not on the high end either.
~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2009 Astra XR - auto
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #39
CadiEldo67
CadiEldo67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody123 View Post
I put nearly 120k on my car prior to the front brakes needing done. Back brakes still have a bit of life left. Price to get it done at Chev dealer was nearly double what it was at a well respected local garage.

The shop had never done brakes on an Astra before, but the mechanic indicated the brakes were VERY similar to a VW's brakes.
My dealership said the same thing....I almost told him that maybe I should make an appointment there instead, they should have some idea of what to do with the car then.
CadiEldo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #40
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Newf, Im still here buddy, i havent moved, still on the Northeast side of Houston like i always have been. I probably changed it to my actual city instead of just putting Houston. As for the dealership on I-45 in Spring, they have gotten better at working on RED. I think at the beginning they were not sure about the car, but they might have gotten someone in there that has worked on them before.

Yea, im with 72 on the slight warp feeling in the brakes when i apply them. Its still braking fine, so im not too worried about, but i can feel it. So, not going to worried about it till it either gets worst or the squealer makes noise.
Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote