SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 08-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
coulombemr
coulombemr is on a distinguished road

Default Stereo upgrade, double check please!

I'm looking at finally swapping out the factory CD30 for an aftermarket. The items I'm looking at are:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...4507e63eb5en02
*I like that I'll be able to change the color too

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=200489493478
*From what I can tell this will have everything else I know of needing

I don't have steering wheel controls, so no worries there, and I have accepted the fact that I won't be able to access the upper display (apparently I haven't changed it from Range in roughly 15k km [of 18k])

So I'm wondering, am I missing something? Is there somewhere I can get this stuff cheaper?

Thanks in advance
coulombemr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
KillerX
KillerX is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Stereo upgrade, double check please!

nope looks like you got it all.

Without steering wheel controls makes it a ton easier.

Brad
KillerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Mil
Mil is on a distinguished road

So I'm wondering, am I missing something? Is there somewhere I can get this stuff cheaper?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Some friends to help you with that job
Seriously where are you located?
Nice headunit by the way.
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
coulombemr

I'm in Halifax, NS... So I never pulled the trigger on buying from BestBuy and eBay.. and I was doing a little looking today, and I can get the receiver from crutchfield.ca, for $199. It comes with free shipping, free mounting kit, free harness, free antenna adapter, and free removal tools.. so its basically $20 cheaper to do it this way, and i get everything at the same time. The problem I have is the site doesnt have a 2009 astra, they only have 2008 astra. Did the stereo change from 2008 to 2009? Or am I safe ordering for the 2008?

I'm in the mood to buy today, so hopefully i hear back soon, so I can pull the trigger
Old 08-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
coulombemr

another question... how hard is it to take the after market stereo out, once it's in?
Old 08-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Mil
Mil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulombemr View Post
another question... how hard is it to take the after market stereo out, once it's in?
Too bad, you're not close to my place, i would have give you some help.
Now for your questions, all headunit are the same on 2009 and 2008 models.
In fact you could have the basic headunit (probably the one you have since you don't have any controls on your steering wheel) and the "upgraded" version equiped with a DSP.
It's pretty easy to remove the stock headunit, all you need are the special tool that fit in the 4 small holes, then pull the headunit out. (by the way, put some masking tape around your headunit, it will prevents you from scratching your dashboard when removing your stock headunit).
If you dont have that tool, you can use a piece of steel (many guys used a hanger with success).
Then if you want to remove your new headunit from your car, usually they come with some keys or tools that you use to remove it (a little like you have to do to remove the stock one, but the tool is different).
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

Yeah, a bent metal clothes hanger works fine. I made a set when I first attempted to get it out and now I just keep them in my toolkit in the trunk. You will probably have to work to get the unit out the first time though. Usually involves pulling the hanger tools back and forth while pulling out to wiggle it out enough to grab the edge.
Good luck!
~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2009 Astra XR - auto
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
coulombemr

One more question I thought of yesterday, after driving in it, and using the original stereo... when the new head unit is in, what appears on the second line of the display? does it just appear as though the original head unit is off? ie. I have mine showing 'Range'.. so would the second line read 'Range'? Would range still work?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
tallNewfie

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that the screen will continue to display what it has been showing. However once the radio is switched you will not be able to change anything on that display. So in order to change your time when daylight savings comes around you will have to put back in the old radio or just deal with the time difference (I think).
~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XR - auto
Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
coulombemr

So AFTER I ordered my new head unit, I decided to search around the forums for pictures hoping to find one that would show the BC display of someone who had an after market stereo...didn't have any luck, but I did find a very detailed thread about someone who had done the install.. He mentioned having to tap into the DC outlet for some reason, and I'm not sure why.. Can someone clarify this? My worry is that simply using the wiring harness won't be sufficient, and the head unit will remain on even after the car is off...
Old 08-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
tallNewfie

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulombemr View Post
So AFTER I ordered my new head unit, I decided to search around the forums for pictures hoping to find one that would show the BC display of someone who had an after market stereo...didn't have any luck, but I did find a very detailed thread about someone who had done the install.. He mentioned having to tap into the DC outlet for some reason, and I'm not sure why.. Can someone clarify this? My worry is that simply using the wiring harness won't be sufficient, and the head unit will remain on even after the car is off...
Yeah, I think the reason that the person tapped into the DC power, or any one of multiple leads in that area, was to get an ignition controlled power source for the ignition signal for the radio. That way the radio would shut off and on with the key even though it would have power constantly. I believe that is the case with the existing harness. But I could be wrong. If you look for threads from Layoria then you should find something about the BC with aftermarket radio, but she got a CANBUS module installed with hers so she could use the steering controls to change it.
~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XR - auto
Old 08-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
coulombemr

So I don't have much electrical experience, and have only installed 3 head units before in Hondas, so it was relatively easy. But from what I've read on some other threads, and google, I am likely to end up with 2 loose wires, 1 for the ignition power, and 1 for dimmer. Well I'm pretty sure I wont be screwing around with the dimmer one, but how EXACTLY do I connect the ignition power one to a source. Seems the easiest source to access is behind the climate controls, a red wire (if I remember correctly). Can I just peel off a section of the red coating around the wire, wrap my loose ignition source wire around that, tape it up, and thats it?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
tallNewfie

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

I could be wrong with this, so someone else may want to chime in, but I believe the ignition wire only needs a small power signal since it isn't powering the stereo, just letting it know when the car is on. If I were to suggest a wire to use, I would use a small ignition controlled wire near the passenger footwell that isn't being used for anything. I have posted instructions here for getting to it (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...32&postcount=4) but it's been talked about in many radio/power threads. If you need a larger wire however, you could use the climate control wire you are talking about, or you could use the cig lighter wires.

In addition, I was very hesitant to cut the existing wires in there and black tape it up when I was connecting up stuff, so I opted for a plastic wire tap joby like the one shown here (http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...01&eventPage=1). Basically you slip in the old wire and the new wire, push in the metal piece to connect both wires and then close the plastic cover over it. Super simple and works very good! The only problem is that if you have two wires of very different sizes, then they may not fit well. In that case I would either suggest using a medium size wire to link between the large and small one, or to just use these on a larger feed.

I haven't done the radio install personally, but if I can be of any help then just let me know.
~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XR - auto
Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
coulombemr

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142952

The green wire mentioned in this thread, attached to the climate controls.. Does it seem like i could splice the orange from the head unit into this wire, to have the dimmer functionality?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #15
coulombemr

So I was too impatient to worry about the dimmer right now. so I went and installed it.. problems i ran into are, it took forever to be able to get the wires to push back far enough that the unit went in properly.. after i secured it in place, and put the face mount on.. i cant get the dam thing off.. i feel like im going to break it if i pull on it too hard, and there are no instructions for removing it..