SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 04-17-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
KevinF
KevinF is on a distinguished road

Default Get those stock wiper blades off!

Just replaced my stock wiper blades with Rain-X Latitudes. Never figured what a difference decent blades would make! I got tired of the stock blades skipping, chattering, squeaking, and leaving un-wiped blotches on the windshield.

Upgrading your wiper blades is definitely worth it. This has been a public service announcement.
KevinF is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Gawd
Gawd is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Get those stock wiper blades off!

I second that.

I replaced mine with Reflex ones and they are much better... look-wise too.
"We're busy, busy... breeding, building, buying."
---------------------------------------
Concrete: The Human Dilemma #1
Gawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
06_Ion2
06_Ion2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

mine fall off from vibrations..
VISIT MY CARDOMAIN --> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2259877
s256 turbo, vulcan intake, exedy clutch, 8.9:1, camed, eagle rods, 2.4 tb, B&G coilovers, patriot head, stage 2 axels 418whp 2.2 :)
06_Ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #4
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

I switched my wipers to tripledge not too long ago. They work good, but was having problems with them sometimes chattering during a decent rain. Turns out they don't work good when using something like RainX on the windshield and the washer fluid I was using was Peak with some Rain Off in it. I emailed Tripledge and they told me that stuff like RainX and the like have silicone in it and will cause streaking and chattering. I cleaned off my windshield with the concoction of baking soda, dish soap and water they emailed me and refilled my washer with plain old blue stuff. Now I'll just have to see how they do next time it rains.
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I use RainX on my windshield regularly and have yet to replace my stock wiper blades...I hardly use them, and trust me - we get plenty of precipitation around here.
hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
JH6
JH6 will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-1 Sedan

I run the cheapo Trico winter blades year round.

Brand new windshield, with rainX on it.

Works great.
JH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Fineline
Fineline is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
1997 SW1

I just splurged on some Bosch Icons, they look and work very well. Smooth, silent, and very minimal looking, but pricey for wiper blades.
O4 Electric Blue W/ Stage 2
Fineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The Saturn OEM blades must be the cheapest blades money could buy. I changed them the first month I had my Saturn, I couldn't deal with the poor cleaning action and sounds.

PIAA Sporza Silicon blades with air spoilers are really great. After two years they wipe perfectly and utterly silent. The cost around $45, but I anticipate many years of service.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
froggy81500

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Wow! the stock Saturn wipers on my 2006 lasted more than a year, and the stocks on my wife's 07 will be a year end of May with no issues. Matter of fact they were some of the best wipers I've had.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:48 AM   #10
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I also got the Rain-X Latitudes recently. Love how "form fitting" and simple they are designed. It's rather amazing all wipers aren't installed from the factory like this. Winter or Summer they are great year round. Nothing gets into the blade assembly so they are like Winter Blades but not heavy/bulky. They are solid, yet flexible.

My ION-3 2003 had skipping issues on the original blades... got replaced via TSB/Warranty. Picked up "refills" some time later and the refills/replacements developed a gap on the passenger side that wouldn't wipe. The Rain-X Latitudes fixed that since they hug the windshield and conform much better then the original blades.

I also use Rain-X concentrate and Rain-X Washer Fluid Additive in my Washer Fluid (to help keep Water/Ice/Snow beading on the Windshield). Regardless of the type of Blades you use or not... Rain-X on your Vehicle's Windows really does help year round. Keeps the ice from sticking in the Winter and Water beading in the Summer.
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 AM   #11
KevinF
KevinF is on a distinguished road

Got my brother to order the latitudes as well. He was also tired of the lousy stock blades.
KevinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #12
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I like the Michelin wipers they sell at Wally-Mart. cheap but they work way better than OEM.
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

I have just replaced the OEM rubber inserts on the car for the 4 and a half years that I have owned it. It's time for a change I am gonna get these because my Aura has something similar and they work pretty good.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #14
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Wipers dryrot and get hard as a rock out here in Az no matter what ones you buy. They need to be replaced each monsoooooon season. Spend big bucks or buy the cheap ones it just does not matter.
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
dennis marshall
dennis marshall is on a distinguished road

I needed to replace the wiper blades on my 2007 ION sedan. Unfortunately GM decided not to offer only the blade replacement -you have to buy whole unit for $50.00 .I bought the winter wipers instead for $30.00. I call them Frankenstein wipers since they are so big. Yet they do a better job than the original ones because they cover a wider area. Why GM decided not to have replacement blades for the current ION is beyond me .It seems a stupid decision . The winter blades may be somewhat less elegant but for the
twenty dollar difference I think I got the better wipers. I have the original blades in the trunk just in case GM decides to offer the blades only in the future. Considering how well the winter wipers work I may not go back to the regular wipers again.
dennis marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:01 AM   #16
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

dennis marshall,

I'd recommend the Rain-X blades I mentioned earlier, instead of Winter Blades on almost any vehicle.

They aren't bulky/heavy like the Winter Blades AND they might even be cheaper too. You'll probably save your ION's Wiper Motor and have a more aerodynamic and visually pleasing profile.

Winter Blades basically are just over sized wipers with a rubber boot around the assembly. The Rain-X blades don't have an assembly to get "iced up" so no boot required and still have a "normal" size profile.
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #17
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis marshall View Post
I needed to replace the wiper blades on my 2007 ION sedan. Unfortunately GM decided not to offer only the blade replacement -you have to buy whole unit for $50.00 .I bought the winter wipers instead for $30.00. I call them Frankenstein wipers since they are so big. Yet they do a better job than the original ones because they cover a wider area. Why GM decided not to have replacement blades for the current ION is beyond me .It seems a stupid decision . The winter blades may be somewhat less elegant but for the
twenty dollar difference I think I got the better wipers. I have the original blades in the trunk just in case GM decides to offer the blades only in the future. Considering how well the winter wipers work I may not go back to the regular wipers again.
you can get replacement blades at any autoparts store. Why would you want GM blades anyway?
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #18
froggy81500

2006 ION-2 Sedan

$50 for plain old wipers? Something is not right with that price. Is that for new wiper arms also? Besides, why would you buy wiper blades from the dealer when you can get aftermarket ones anywhere.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #19
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

To update this thread - I, too, bought some Rain-X Latitude wipers today. I like the way these look, they resemble the stock blades I've seen on Auras and Outlooks.

After Saturn pulled the stock blade refills for the Ion sometime in late '06 or in early '07, I've struggled to find suitable replacements. I've tried Bosch, Trico and Anco and end up replacing them again within six months. Now that we're into our "popcorn thunderstorm" season around here, it shouldn't take too long to find out how well these Rain-X blades work. I already use the Rain-X's wiper fluid and glass cleaner.
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote