SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 03-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #21
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE
Default Re: So.. what tires are folks switching to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
I'm picking up a '08 XR on Monday and I'm already thinking about swapping the stock tires out after reading all the poor reviews on them

Thinking about the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred's in 225/50/18, of course:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=6

I know everyone is probably gonna recommend the F1 A/S, but these tires have got nothing but great reviews and they're a little cheaper & have a high wear rating

I was running dedicated snow tires on my Redline this past winter, but I think for the XR I'm just gonna get a good all season tire instead & I think these would do the trick.

Now I just gotta talk my dealer into doing the swap before I take delivery and giving me some credit for the LS-2's....LOL

I have the Triple Treads on my Ion and I must say they are the best tires I ever owned. If they made them for the XE I would get them in a heart beat.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #22
djreed
djreed is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertillion View Post
I have the Triple Treads on my Ion and I must say they are the best tires I ever owned. If they made them for the XE I would get them in a heart beat.
They do make them for the XE.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=4

GM is changing All Aura, except one level of XR, to 215/55-17 for 2009
so you could also...
djreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #23
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by djreed View Post
They do make them for the XE.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=4

GM is changing All Aura, except one level of XR, to 215/55-17 for 2009
so you could also...
The tire size currently on my car is 225-50-17. Don't the sizes have to match up?

One bad thing about the triple treads I forgot to mention is that the "rim guards" might cause you some trouble once you get an alignment. I have had to have my rims on the Ion painted twice professionally after being scratched really bad. Happened first at the Goodyear place and then at the Saturn dealership. The alignment didn't even work after the second time and I took it back. They had to take my FACTORY wheels off the car and put a set on from another Ion to do the alignment.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #24
cisco0623
cisco0623 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I see tire rack has these Assurance triple treads for the XR now as well. They have way better ratings than the LS2.

I am not a big fan of the LS2 tires. I know they are far from bad, and do the job on the AURA, but they are so underwhelming next to other tires - they are like circa 1990 to me!

These new ones have an even quieter rating than the LS2 - which is one good thing about them, as well as being more comfortable. I find I have to inflate the tires more than the reccomended 30psi. I have mine around 36 and the car rides much better to me, but thats just my opinion. I think GM should have put a way better tire on this car.

I noticed each Assurance TripleTread tire is 3lbs heavier compared to the LS2 though. I wonder how the car will react to this? I will probably upgrade to these within a year.
cisco0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #25
djreed
djreed is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
The tire size currently on my car is 225-50-17. Don't the sizes have to match up?
If you change only one tire, yes. If you change all four you can change to the new size. Remember, GM decided to change all Aura, except XR 18", to the new size, 215/55-17 for 2009.
djreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #26
buffmaloney
buffmaloney is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

I don't see how the OEM tires are bad enough to spend the money to replace them before they are worn down at least half way. I must not be a Saturn Baller. $400-$800 to replace tires that are new? Makes no sense to me.
2008 Red Jewel XR
buffmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #27
2QuickZ's
2QuickZ's is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2007 AURA XR

Has anybody tried 235/50 - 18's? It seems like there wouldn't be a noticeable difference and you have so many more choices in that size. There are 4 pages of options on tirerack.com instead of only 1 page for the OEM size.
2008 Saturn Vue XR - FWD, Ruby Red, tan leather
2007 Saturn Aura XR - Midnight Blue, ebony leather (SOLD)
2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE
2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - M6
2QuickZ's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 AM   #28
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member
snobrdrdan is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:

One bad thing about the triple treads I forgot to mention is that the "rim guards" might cause you some trouble once you get an alignment. I have had to have my rims on the Ion painted twice professionally after being scratched really bad. Happened first at the Goodyear place and then at the Saturn dealership. The alignment didn't even work after the second time and I took it back. They had to take my FACTORY wheels off the car and put a set on from another Ion to do the alignment.
Well that's good news to hear from someone else that they're great tires!! thanks

And I actually like the "rim guards".....good idea there

BUT I totally understand what you're saying about an alignment, because on my Ion Redline the stock 17" Dunlops had those "rim guards" & they did 2 alignments and scratched/chipped the heck out of the lip on my painted 17" stock wheels....I was pretty bummed about that.
Then I went to a different store (the alignment was still off) and the guy sprayed silicone spray onto the wheel attachments & didn't leave any marks/scratches on the rims.

So if you need an alignment & have "rim guards" tell them to spray some silicone on the things/rim/tire and it won't scratch up the wheel!
2009 VW GTI

FRO: 2007 Ion REDLINE -- 8/06-3/08
2008 Aura XR -- 3/08-8/08
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:17 AM   #29
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member
snobrdrdan is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmaloney View Post
I don't see how the OEM tires are bad enough to spend the money to replace them before they are worn down at least half way. I must not be a Saturn Baller. $400-$800 to replace tires that are new? Makes no sense to me.
Read this:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116164

It's only costing me $137.50+ tax (out of my pocket) to get a set of better/brand new tires put on my new XR

not to mention, there is also a $40 mail in rebate thru Goodyear for the tires too!
2009 VW GTI

FRO: 2007 Ion REDLINE -- 8/06-3/08
2008 Aura XR -- 3/08-8/08
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote