SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
John223
John223 is on a distinguished road

Default Rotors, anyone?

12K on my 3.5 08. Love the car overall. Not surprised at 8k when the brake rotors began to fail. Dealer serviced, said discs were "pitted" and resurfaced. No charge. 4k later, brakes begining to shake again when slowing from highway. I just don't have the time to keep having them serviced or replaced with inferior OEM parts. I replaced the rotors on my wife'd 05 vue with Brembos, after 3 warrantee dealer services, and been fine since. Would like to cut out the additional futile service trips, bite the bullet, and put in a quality set of rotors and pads. I can not find any online - I'm open to reccomendations and where to by, online preferred.

Thanks!
John223 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
slowTA
slowTA is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default Re: Rotors, anyone?

www.rockauto.com

I think people have good luck with the raybestos professional grade.
Techno Gray Aura XR with cloth interior and no sunroof.
slowTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

SlowTA, Thanks for that website,that was a good link! also thanks for all the pictures you took of the underside of the aura, pics appear to be aura xr but its closes enough for me to examine our xe to be sure it all looks ok.. we had a accident in ours and i was able to check to see if anything was missing or awry... The aura goes back on the 31st for repaint, replace the windshield because it isn't installed correctly, and also new front left rotor..thx again. sorry to jack the post. bue05
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Gorge
Gorge is on a distinguished road

My '07 XR w/ 15k on the clock definitely has warped front rotors. At highway speed the bakes are loud and I get a nice wheel shake. I'll add that to the list for the next service coming up in a week or two. I'd also reccomend Raybestos rotors. Anyone know where the Aura's oem rotors are made or who's making them?
Gorge in PA

'07 Aura XR
'06 Durago Ltd.
'90 F-150
'96 GPZ 1100
Gorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #5
jhawker23
jhawker23 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the thread... I am sensing a slight shake on braking downhill and it just feels "off" like they are pitted. Its an '08 with 11k, I'll take it in...
jhawker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
bue05
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Yes, by the way that reminds me get it in and repaired before 12,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. otherwise gm/saturn can deny repair of brake(s) system(s) unless previous record or affected by another defect which would cause failure of said device/equipment/etc... but the brake, bakes, braking system is covered 3yr/36,000 miles, the wear and tear items such as brake pads, rotors are only covered 12,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. best luck bue05
Old 03-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
John223
John223 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input! Now to save up $260 for the rotorss and pads.
John223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
bue05
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

John223, I forgot to mention if saturn worked on or fixed your rotors/pads/calipers/ etc. before the warranty limitation it is still covered! if they turned them etc. but didn't replace them, and there still giving you problems, you could ask them to replace them, since turning them didn't work, which usually doesn't in my experince. good luck bue05
Old 03-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
slowTA
slowTA is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue05 View Post
SlowTA, Thanks for that website,that was a good link! also thanks for all the pictures you took of the underside of the aura, pics appear to be aura xr but its closes enough for me to examine our xe to be sure it all looks ok.. we had a accident in ours and i was able to check to see if anything was missing or awry... The aura goes back on the 31st for repaint, replace the windshield because it isn't installed correctly, and also new front left rotor..thx again. sorry to jack the post. bue05
I've been using rockauto for a few years and I think they are a sponsor on this board. The pictures were taken when I did my first oil change using my friend's lift. Unfortunately it is about an hour drive each way so when it is warmer out I'll be laying on my back to do it.
Techno Gray Aura XR with cloth interior and no sunroof.
slowTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Yikes, I guess I will be walking down this path someday. At my 3,000 mile service I told them about a grinding and loud squeaking noise. They said this is common problem they have heard the story before. Their only remedy was to have the rotors resurfaced. They also mentioned that it would not help in their experience with the problem. Can you be specific on which rotors and calipers you bought so I can make a note for the future? Thanks...
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
CptMatt
CptMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

It looks like I'm not the only one having rotor problems. Last summer, the Saturn dealer I bought my XR from turned my fronts after blaming me for the warpage. A month later, they started to pulse again so I took it to another dealer. They replaced them under warranty.

Now, at almost 10K, the fronts are starting pulse again.

I don't get it, I'm not driving this car any different or harder than my '97 Eagle Vision TSi, or the cars I owned before that. I never had these kind of brake problems before.
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:14 AM   #12
bue05
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

I truly feel and believe a large part of this statement to be true, correct, and spot on... although the person who had last said this on the forums was burned at the stake, i sorda agree.... GM uses/installs/buys some cheap(er) less favorable rotors for its production line of cars and trucks... It appears the amount of replacement, resurfacing, and servicing of this part(s) is a tad too much or too high. I have had the great pleasure of owning only one GM branded vehicle with flawless perfect breaks the entire ownership, lucky...maybe.. not sure. it was a 2003 Chevy S-10 Ls regular cab. All of the other GM cars 2000,2002,2004,2005,2006,2008 all have had several rotor replacements and/or resurfacing. I will tell you this, resurfacing in my opinion (as limited as it may be), is a waste of my time and money, and a waste of the dealer/gm/tech etc. time and money, it is a temporary fix, it degrades the pad a bit.. and usually causes the brake to go bad quicker, at least in my experince. I have had a longer successful repair job when the rotors have been completley replaced. Here is the biggest problem. Installation of the wheel is done wrong, balancing of said wheels, bad/poor part(s), and of course maltreatment by the driver. I have seen and ridden with people who probably own a brake company for as much as they need to spend on brakes, you can't use your brakes like that and expect them to last.. The next time you get offered to resurface the rotors, say if your not going to replace them, then don't waste your or my time, please replace them. I will tell you this, the vue rotors where bad.... after several replacements/resurfacing etc. etc. i went down to local autoparts store. Spent 40.00 dollars on each rotor, and another say 40 to 50 in good pads, replaced them myself this was at 8,000 miles maybe... and we now have 42,000 miles and not one problem...knock on wood. best of luck with your brake problems.. so far we are at 4,500 miles with aura, I only have grinding sound coming from rearend brakes.....and a noisy break pedal. bue05
p.s. Don't think the beloved Honda name doesn't have this issue though either, had a 04 civic ex..what a nightmare..
Old 03-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
I truly feel and believe a large part of this statement to be true, correct, and spot on... although the person who had last said this on the forums was burned at the stake, i sorda agree.... GM uses/installs/buys some cheap(er) less favorable rotors for its production line of cars and trucks... It appears the amount of replacement, resurfacing, and servicing of this part(s) is a tad too much or too high. I have had the great pleasure of owning only one GM branded vehicle with flawless perfect breaks the entire ownership, lucky...maybe.. not sure. it was a 2003 Chevy S-10 Ls regular cab. All of the other GM cars 2000,2002,2004,2005,2006,2008 all have had several rotor replacements and/or resurfacing. I will tell you this, resurfacing in my opinion (as limited as it may be), is a waste of my time and money, and a waste of the dealer/gm/tech etc. time and money, it is a temporary fix, it degrades the pad a bit.. and usually causes the brake to go bad quicker, at least in my experince. I have had a longer successful repair job when the rotors have been completley replaced. Here is the biggest problem. Installation of the wheel is done wrong, balancing of said wheels, bad/poor part(s), and of course maltreatment by the driver. I have seen and ridden with people who probably own a brake company for as much as they need to spend on brakes, you can't use your brakes like that and expect them to last.. The next time you get offered to resurface the rotors, say if your not going to replace them, then don't waste your or my time, please replace them. I will tell you this, the vue rotors where bad.... after several replacements/resurfacing etc. etc. i went down to local autoparts store. Spent 40.00 dollars on each rotor, and another say 40 to 50 in good pads, replaced them myself this was at 8,000 miles maybe... and we now have 42,000 miles and not one problem...knock on wood. best of luck with your brake problems.. so far we are at 4,500 miles with aura, I only have grinding sound coming from rearend brakes.....and a noisy break pedal. bue05
p.s. Don't think the beloved Honda name doesn't have this issue though either, had a 04 civic ex..what a nightmare..
We are about at the same point in our ownership of our Aura's. I have almost the same mileage as you and have the same grinding noise from the rear breaks. I can tell I will have the same troubles as the gentleman have stated previously in the future. My Ion has also had a similar problem so it is not big surprise to me. I believe they had to replace the rotors completly on the Ion at about 36,000. Now I can understand the Ion, but the Aura is advertised as a sports sedan so I would assume the breaks would be more up to par related to quality parts.

I don't want to be wrongfully accused as being a bad driver because my brakes are warping at 4,000 miles. It's the brakes, not me. I have never been in an accident that was my fault. (got hit from behind once in fog) When the time comes to replace the rotors I will not get the factory ones installed again.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
TechnoAura
TechnoAura is on a distinguished road

Bertillion,

I feel the same as you. I do not want it to appear that I do not know how to drive my car. I know how to drive my car and feel I am easy on my brakes. Most of my driving is on the highway. I too have had to have my rotors resurfaced (front only). I had my front rotors resurfaced at about 5,000 miles and started noticing the same symptoms within 1,000 miles. Now at 7,100 miles on the odometer the pulsation is more noticeable than ever (above 40 mph only). I really enjoy driving my Aura but do not want to have to go to the dealership every 2,000-3,000 miles to have my brakes looked at.

My question to all of you is whether or not you have noticed a slight squeal when braking at slower speeds. This is noticed mostly in stop and go traffic. I first thought it was brake dust, but I notice very little dust on my wheels. I do wash my car quite often, however. Have any of you noticed this symptom? Have you had the concern diagnosed? If so, what did the dealership find?
2011 Buick Regal CXL RL2
Previous Saturns:
2007 Aura XE, Auto, Techno Grey with Grey Cloth
2005 Ion III, Manual, Black with Grey Leather
1999 SL2, Manual, Dark Blue with Grey Leather
TechnoAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #15
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoAura View Post
Bertillion,

I feel the same as you. I do not want it to appear that I do not know how to drive my car. I know how to drive my car and feel I am easy on my brakes. Most of my driving is on the highway. I too have had to have my rotors resurfaced (front only). I had my front rotors resurfaced at about 5,000 miles and started noticing the same symptoms within 1,000 miles. Now at 7,100 miles on the odometer the pulsation is more noticeable than ever (above 40 mph only). I really enjoy driving my Aura but do not want to have to go to the dealership every 2,000-3,000 miles to have my brakes looked at.

My question to all of you is whether or not you have noticed a slight squeal when braking at slower speeds. This is noticed mostly in stop and go traffic. I first thought it was brake dust, but I notice very little dust on my wheels. I do wash my car quite often, however. Have any of you noticed this symptom? Have you had the concern diagnosed? If so, what did the dealership find?
I have had the squeal problem too. The retailer said they could only resurface the rotors, but in their experience it wont fix the problem. Chryslers seem to have this problem too from what I have heard from friends. I guess there is nothing technically wrong with the car, but it is annoying. Why can't things ever be perfect? lol I guess that is life and we have to put up with this issue for now.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
knagy19
knagy19 is on a distinguished road

I have an 07 XR that I bought in Aug 2007 (one of the early ones)
at 13,000 miles I had a shake in the front brakes which the dealer resurfaced and they have been fine since - but I noticed some shaking again at 17000

I plan to replace the rotors and pads with some better after market stuff this spring.

I get grinding in front & back after the rotors get wet - and in the AM I do get some grinding the first time I apply the brakes -

I have a olds van that had 65,000 mile on it before I needed brakes and those brakes were always good - I had the Gm dealer replace with OEM brakes and after 10,000 mile I get a high speed shake ( not all the time) when I apply the brakes. ALso I had them put ceramic pads on ( at a small additional cost) all the noise and dust went away. But later I found out the Ceramic fibers are replacing the base padsand do not last as long as metalic pads.

Still I had 2 dodge caravans and in 65,000 mile I went thru 3 rotors and sets of pads.

So even though these are not the greatest, they are better than they use to be.
also when these guys tell you it's the way you drive - that is code for they have no clue and shouldn't be working there.
knagy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #17
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoAura View Post
My question to all of you is whether or not you have noticed a slight squeal when braking at slower speeds.
A Volvo owner would tell you that the squeal is there to tell you that your brakes are working!
Member of the Crank Window Club
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #18
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
i went down to local autoparts store. Spent 40.00 dollars on each rotor, and another say 40 to 50 in good pads, replaced them myself this was at 8,000 miles maybe... and we now have 42,000 miles and not one problem...knock on wood. best of luck with your brake problems.. so far we are at 4,500 miles with aura, I only have grinding sound coming from rearend brakes.....and a noisy break pedal. bue05
I think the reason I've never had a brake rotor "warp" issue for any of my cars is because I always replace my own parts. I always buy the best I can afford.
Back when I had my Volvos and my Audi it was ATE rotors and Repco pads.
I usually would replace pads at 20K and the rotors at 40K and also replaced the caliper hardware every time I replaced the pads.
Member of the Crank Window Club
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #19
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i didnt realize rotors were a problem with the aura. mine has 17k and so far so good but my wife drives it mostly and shes pretty easy on it
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #20
TechnoAura
TechnoAura is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
A Volvo owner would tell you that the squeal is there to tell you that your brakes are working!
How ironic. I at one time was considering an S40. Just think, I could have spent a few thousand dollars more for that brake squeak. I'm happy I went with the Aura!
2011 Buick Regal CXL RL2
Previous Saturns:
2007 Aura XE, Auto, Techno Grey with Grey Cloth
2005 Ion III, Manual, Black with Grey Leather
1999 SL2, Manual, Dark Blue with Grey Leather
TechnoAura is offline   Reply With Quote