Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-17-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
asdf
Advanced Member
asdf is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1995 SC2
Default '93 DTCs 26 and 45

Finally got an engine in this '93 SC2 from the junkyard. The engine is a '94 with supposedely 84K miles. There weren't any difference between this and the original engine except for the fact that it probably rolled down a hill and dragged by a chain across the ground behind a truck at the junkyard. Just about every sensor was snapped off or bent, a piece of the head also was broke off where a bolt pulled through for one of the brackets.

Anyways got it in the car and hooked up. Started it, it is loud as hell. Sounds like alot of clattering from the timing chain and maybe idler pulley or whatever, who knows. I think the chain is slapping the valve cover.

The problem right now is the alternator light is on, and presumably isn't charging because the battery is now very low. I'll have to check the connections on that. I used the alternator from the original engine. This engine didn't come with anything. I would think the alternator used to work, but I'll have to ask.

The SES light came on almost immediatley. The DTCs are 26 and 45. I thnk the 45 means it is running rich and that I can certainly agree with, it is practically pouring fuel out the muffler. Could this be caused by the code 26, whatever that is?

I had to swap the canister purge solenoid (I thnk it is) from the original engine because it was bent. It was the solenoid on the back of the engine with two vacuum ports and a plug. I am pretty sure I got it hooked up, unless one of the vacuum hoses fell off. They did slide on quite loosley.

I also replace the vacuum hose going form the EGR valve to whatever it goes to from the original engine because it was cracked.

So everything looks alright, but is there a way I can test if that solenoid, as well as the EGR is working properly?

Are DTCs 26 and 45 common?

Last edited by asdf; 08-18-2006 at 12:06 AM.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2006, 04:13 AM   #2
asdf
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
1995 SC2
Default Re: '93 DTCs 26 and 45

Well one of the vacuum lines was disconnected from the solenoid on the back of the engine. Plugged it back in but it didn't change anything. I still get code 26.

Code 45 hasn't shown again yet but it probably would if I drove the car around. It still smells really rich, and when you blip the gas real fast at idle the RPMs actually die.

Looked at the alternator. All the connections looked good, still no charge. I took it out, I'll have to get it tested in the morning.

I noticed that if I remove the oil filler cap when the engine is running, it becomes an oil geyser. That's cool. This engine is a noisy pile. What a $500 rip. Glad I didn't buy it.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
asdf
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Just had the alternator tested and they said it was a boat anchor.

Still am trying to figure out these engine problems. Any suggestions?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

If you have a mighty vac, you can pull a vacumn on the solenoid. I believe it's supposed to hold it for 20 seconds. You can also pull a vacumn on the EGR itself to make sure the pintle is moving freely. This is from memory and I saw it in a Chilton's manual. I've never owned and S-Series with a vacumn actuated EGR. So, if someone knows different, please speak up.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
asdf
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Umm, sorry, not sure what a might vac is...
Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
RangerRover
RangerRover is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
1994 SL2

Its a little hand-operated vacuum pump. You can get them at just about any auto store.

In addition to the actual EGR valve, check the EGR solenoid. Make sure the vacuum lines going to it are intact, and the electrical connection is tight and clean. Also, replace the ECTS.
You can tell Linux is made by geeks.
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote