SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 01:46 AM   #1
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Could the Chinese corona virus be good for your car? Perhaps...yes...

It goes like this. Due to the restrictions in place regarding which businesses can be active or not, social distancing, and the like related to the Chinese Corona Virus outbreak, Southern CA is largely shut down. So what happens on the freeways as a result? They become extremely UNcrowded. There is no slow morning commute, nor a slow going home commute. It's really astonishing...and, of course, at some time life will return to having the normal and unpleasant slow commutes. Now, what the has Virus got to do with fuel economy? A whole lot.

Much of my work travel is on our freeways. My car's original EPA Highway fuel economy was rated at 32 MPG. Today, for only the third time in the 18+ years of my ownership of this car, my average MPGs exceeded that number. After refueling I did a fuel economy check and was shocked...in the best possible way! The number was the second highest I'd ever had - 34.7 MPG. This occurs while I still have an unresolved P0507 DTC and the car had already crossed over 329K miles. This LS1 is full of surprises......for an "oldie."
333,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Could the Chinese corona virus be good for your car? Perhaps...yes...

I agree completely my car has only burned one gallon of fuel in the last two weeks! Of course that is not great fuel mileage it was just moving it into and out of the shop. LOL
Stay well friend.
Andy
2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Could the Chinese corona virus be good for your car? Perhaps...yes...

I'll go one better insofar as COVID-19 affecting fuel mileage as Stay In Place is ordered for non essential workers to minimize inadvertent virus transmission. I achieved the ultimate in fuel mileage - it went off the chart. My sister and I ventured out in the early morning hours to take advantage of a local food market setting aside early hours for senior citizens to shop without mingling with the general crowd, another way to minimize anyone from carrying and spreading COVID-19. I used my remote to unlock doors and was met with dead silence. I looked for the Passlock security indicator - it was off. The battery died. Unsurprisingly, I was getting hints of a worn out battery for several months. I checked my receipt when I bought this Duralast battery - it passed its fifth year of a five year warranty as standby voltage wasn't holding at 12.5v. I already setup an inexpensive wall charger in my trunk for periodic trickle charging whenever I needed it so it was used several times after the new year. With less driving than before the order to stay at home, the car wasn't used in about five days, enough to kill the battery in its last year under warranty. We quickly used her car to go food shopping. The market opening at 6am (to 7:30am restricted to senior citizens) was nearly empty. Even the express self checkout registers were closed, forcing us to go thru the manned checkout lanes. I think I saw only one lane was manned.

Zero fuel use in my car as it sat in the driveway. The very best mileage possible. I'll deal with replacing the battery as its being trickle charged as it can still startup and hold a charge for the immediate future. I may be able to use a new battery sitting in my garage, left there from a relative unable to use it from an incorrect amazon shipment.

Be safe, stay home if not essential. As one recent comment goes, "The government asked your grandparents to serve during WWII. The government now asks you to stay home. We can do this."
VCX NANO
Old 04-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #4
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

FDryer: A car that sits gets zero miles per gallon. So get out there and drive. Don't get out and don't mingle at any stops naturally. You don't want to expose yourself of course

pierrot: My '05 ION has always beaten the EPA #s, especially after they arbitrarily lopped off 10% somewhere in the late '00s to reflect "real world" mileage.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Citation84, you're right of course. I'm just lamenting on the new normal around here. Hopefully temporary. With millions in the city cooped up, many are ignoring the social distancing rule to stay away from everyone else to minimize exposure to anyone carrying this virus. I went out about a week ago for food and passed several city buses - all were empty. Normally, every bus is jammed with people going about their business until the order went out to stay home. I'm sure our governor Cuomo (and myself) isn't proud to call New York City the first epicenter of COVID-19 but it was inevitable. As a skier but never going over to Europe, I was shocked at how easily this virus spread. News of a well known ski area, Ischgl in Austria, was able to spread COVID-19 from one bartender serving tourists from all over Europe; https://www.euractiv.com/section/cor...orona-hotspot/. Austrian authorities are now facing multiple lawsuits from several countries having to deal with each tourist returning home spreading the virus. Can you imagine all these unsuspecting skiers traveling everywhere by bus, rail and airline? Contagion on another level. NYC being the first epicenter in America with eight million residents from all over the world may explain how challenging it is to reach into every community as diverse as NYC to explain why we need to stay home to allow this virus to die off instead of latching onto another human carrier........

I'm calculating when to venture out just to visit a nearby park by the water, adjacent to one of our bridges on Long Island. I'm sure others want to do the same as weather turns warmer with more sun coming out after the midwest storms pass thru. With more people than land, its crowded around here so finding and keeping a distance from anyone takes some thought. Some images of NYC subways still show people filling train cars, unable to practice social distancing. This presents an urban problem in how to keep people apart when the normal is rubbing shoulder to shoulder on public transportation. Luckily for me, I don't rely on public transportation but many cannot afford personal transportation and must rely on buses and trains.

I don't see this problem in farming areas as large farms already provides separation. Farming towns and communities in suburban and rural areas as well as cities from the midwest and out are easier to practice social distancing.
VCX NANO
Old 04-01-2020, 11:45 PM   #6
jbuenavides
jbuenavides is on a distinguished road

I haven't been going out since the lockdown, so both cars at home are just in the garage. The only thing that is good about it is the fact that I get to save fuel, but my friends keeps on sharing a photo on how cheap the gasoline is now.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:34 AM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Well, jbuenavides, while it's true that gasoline prices have dropped significantly it is also true that a major glut of crude oil will soon be out in the market causing continued downward pressure on prices, which will - in turn - cause continued price drops at the pump. If you're concerned that you've missed out on purchasing gasoline at lower prices then you needn't be. It is highly likely that prices will continue to drop over the ensuing weeks.
333,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Vacation is over and since my utility thinks I am essential back to work I go. So back to 30-31 mpg we go.
2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #9
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I agree with DFryer. My son is in lockdown in Brooklyn. It is no joke. The whole Covid19 is no joke.

The Earth is not flat, the US did go to the Moon and yes Covid19 is killing people.

You can either go about your daily life unfettered and risk either giving Covid19 to others if you are a silent carrier OR get Corvid19 from others who are risking everyone else's lives.

Yes, the economic damage from lock downs is huge and may not appear to be exact commonsense, but it is based on scientific data, not conjecture.

Coming from the UK, the economic damage from WW11 was huge with cities flattened and people killed by the millions BUT it rebuilt and survived. You want to be thankful the US was never bombed, etc, in that war. You can recover from economic damage as we do here in Florida with Hurricanes.

When you are dead, you are dead. Recovery is NOT an option.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #10
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Long live the 1st Amendment!

Food for thought -

The Difference Between 'Disinformation' and 'Misinformation' :

Misinformation is false information that's given without malice, and Disinformation is false information, such as government propaganda, that's given with the intention to deceive.

Beware of disinformation, from ANY avenue, as it has been used throughout history to control and manipulate the masses. It is a very powerful tool when used with a population that is purposely kept divided, busy and distracted.

We can start fighting back, but only if our politicians and other individuals decide to stop profiting from this tactic of disinformation and fight it instead.
Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven
Old 04-03-2020, 04:21 PM   #11
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It really saddens me that when we have a human disaster amongst us (and I mean globally, not just the US), that some groups and individuals choose to use as an opportunity to disparage others, to curse out others and utter foul language that you would usually only expect to hear from people that either cannot hold a sensible discussion or maybe have too much tipple and their tongues loosen.

Right now, I should be a US Citizen after nearly 9 years of waiting patiently. I was looking forwards to my Oath Ceremony and speaking the words in the Oath, but sadly my Ceremony was cancelled because of the Virus. So I wait patiently and meanwhile do my best as most others are trying to do, and that is get through this to the other side.

I am a small business owner, work for my self and don't normally look for bailouts or other hand outs. But in the space of 1 week, my business and my income has disappeared. I am sure I am not the only one. Thankfully I have some pension income that will help me just about get through. I pray that my eldest son who is on lock down in Brooklyn adheres to the govt advice and remains inside his apartment. He was due to graduate from NYU with a Masters Degree that he's worked his butt off and built up a chunk of debt to get. Instead of his family being there to watch him proudly walk across the stage to receive his degree, he will receive the degree from the mailman in the post!

My youngest son whom I brought home from College in Jacksonville about 3 weeks ago is now on lock down in the next county where he stays with his Mum. It will be a while before I see him. I am toughing this out on my own.

My sister back in the UK whom I have not been able to see for several years, is now fightiing bladder cancer amongst other issues that folks get in their mid 80's. She is in that prime target high risk category. I could not go and see her, even if I could, as we have the strict travel restrictions globally to pin this Covid19 down.

The UK does NOT have any Dems vs Republicans to argue about, neither does France, Italy, Spain, etc all of which have suffered huge numbers of deaths to a disease that unlike Flu (which is the usual argument bandied about) does not yet have a vaccine to get rid of or to lessen the symptoms. Medical staff, the world over put their own lives on the line everyday to help people get through this.

So when I hear individuals spouting about conspiracy theories as to why this is happening in the US and its somehow some scheme to oust the President (and somehow they conveniently forget the same virus is happening in other parts of the world) and then when I also hear about First Amendment rights I have to roll my eyes and wonder just what goes in some peoples heads. They eat up stuff they see on You Tube and other sources and take it as gospel. As the saying goes "if it's on the internet, it must be right?". Heck no! We are all born with brain cells and a dose of commonsense. I never take what I'm told at face value. I check facts out myself from multiple sources, yet there are those who still take their reality on truth from a single source.

So to those who have been using words and phrases I would never, ever expected to hear on this site, all I can say is chill, cool it and certainly on this site focus on keeping Saturn's on the road and be civil to one another.

For those who want to continue to utter bitterness and falsehoods, please take your vitriol elsewhere. For all you know there may well be members on this site either severely ill and had to deal with a passing of a family member due to this disease. Please be polite and respectful. I know that is not in the Constitution, but it should be an integral part of the makeup of any person who seeks to be a good member of the human race.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Statistics and recovering COVID-19 victims are closely associated. I've been observing NYS stats every day with COVID-19 positives against the deaths. Roughly 1.8% of those tested positive for COVID-19, becoming infected then recovering against those dying appears to be one death for every 200. World wide stats seem to hover around 5%. While these stats vary from day to day, the toll leans towards people over 60 yrs of age succumbing more than people under 60. Yes - babies, young and middle age die from this virus but the odds are less deaths from this group. As stats show, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems succumb to COVID-19. Babies are at the very beginning of life and haven't developed an immunity to this deadly virus. My search to understand this virus is that it attacks, replicates and causes fluid in the lungs as the human biological response reacts to it, effectively drowning a victim in his/her own fluids by choking off airflow for oxygen absorption in lungs and the reason using a ventilator to force more oxygen into wet lungs. Long time smokers developing the hacking cough and shortness of breath are poisoning themselves over time by damaging their lungs as fluid builds up as a natural reaction of the human body to fight off smoke from cigarettes, cigars, pot, and vaping. If I'm wrong, I'm open to correction.

Take solace in facts that are well documented that skews this virus towards the elderly. I'm 68 and accept these facts against me. My greatest fear occurred decades ago and after some time to self analyze and contemplate that fearful moment, I came to realize that I cannot change circumstances but learn what my limits are then slowly overcome fear. I don't fear COVID-19 as this is life, take it or leave it. Understanding fear can lead to overcoming it. I rely on smarter people than myself to educate me on what they know that are in positions to make changes I cannot make. Trust in complete strangers is part of life as it is with family. We all know which part of our family is the black sheep. This is learned. No different from learning who to trust outside family. The scientists and medical authorities establishing historical records laying the basis of sound science and technology are now attempting to make a world wide concerted effort in determining how to defeat this virus. I count on the smart ones around the world exchanging information regardless of politics, religion, sexual orientation, or race since the vast majority of well educated people come from every ethnic race. This is a war against a microbe, invisible to the naked eye except under a (very powerful microscope).
VCX NANO
Closed Thread