SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
davesaturn
davesaturn is on a distinguished road

Default busted passenger mirror {OUCH}

backing into a garage it went Crrrraack!!! I went @%^@^%@$^#

The plastic screw posts are snapped, and the housing has a verticle (plumbers) crack.

any repair advice?

does anyone think the screw posts can be epoxied?

--------------------------------------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davesaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davesaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davesaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: busted passenger mirror {OUCH}

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaturn View Post
backing into a garage it went Crrrraack!!! I went @%^@^%@$^#

The plastic screw posts are snapped, and the housing has a verticle (plumbers) crack.

any repair advice?

does anyone think the screw posts can be epoxied?

--------------------------------------
Yes.........and the same thing happened to me...........3 times!
so here you go.........
first you need a good epoxy, small ******* file, finishing file and 200 grit sand paper.
I used brake cleaner to clean all surfaces as you need this for the epoxy to bond. Make sure your hands etc are surgically clean
I used the brown brillo pad to clean and prep all epoxy surfaces. Leave the nuts on as this gives you something to hold on to.
Once all is cleaned mix up enough epoxy for one bolt at a time and wait for it to set before moving on to the next. I use toothpick etc. for applicators and use a different toothpick for each step. Remember, everything has to be perfectly cleaned and prepped or the epoxy won't take (made that mistake the first time. Try cleaning off old epoxy!).
And by the way, 5 minute epoxy works very well and follow the directions carefully.
Once all 3 posts are epoxy'd, you can move on to the cracks in the housing.
Now here you have to be very careful. If the housing can flex, you should be ok. There are 2 screws behind the mirror, one above the other, towards the outside of the mirror, but on the inside behind the mirror. If your housing is not cracked that bad, you have to flex the mirror to get at the screws. Use a flashlite and magnifying glass if you have to, to locate them precisely.
I think they are torx but check to make sure. There are 2 more screws on the housing between the door and the mirror, on the mirror. Remove all these screws.
once you have the center mechanism removed, you can remove the mirror plate from the mechanism. Be careful here as not to break the tabs holding the mirror to the mechanism
You will need to remove the mirror so you can assemble the mirror later.
Now epoxy the cracks, starting with the hardest, tightest, smallest, etc. and working towards fixing the biggest crack. This makes getting the epoxy in the cracks much easier.
Once the crack is back together and before the epoxy sets, use a wet finger to smooth the epoxy flat. Don't try to go crazy here, you just want any excess epoxy smoothed down a bit. Since acetone is used as a carrier, a wet finger wont hurt it and the epoxy shouldn't stick to your fingers........much.........! lol
ok, give 24 hours for the epoxy to harden and guess what? the epoxied joints, if done correctly will be stronger than the original part!
Now, carefully using the ******* file, get rid of any excess epoxy. Don't go crazy as you just want the surfaces to be ALMOST flush.
Then use the finishing file to bring the surfaces even. Now here's the cruncher. Because the body of the mirror is dimpled, you might want to consider using the finishing file to smooth the whole body of the mirror. Will look much better when you are finished. THEN, you have to get aerosol paint to paint you mirror to match the body. Nice little mod since you have to do it anyway.
You will need base paint, color paint and clear coat. And this is not a tough job, just a slightly delicate one. You will have to remove and paint the drivers side, but don't worry about dissembling, just mask the mirror. Smooth out the drivers mirror so it matches.
For the mounting bolts, don't go crazy removing a lot of excess epoxy. Just smooth it down so it will go through the foam easier.
2 to 3 coats of base, 2 to 3 coats of color and one or 2 coats of clear. Leave 15 minutes between each coat, no longer, and you won't have to sand between coats.

The first time I broke my mirror I fixed it but wasn't careful enough. I had to redo it. The next time a bike hit my mirror, and the last, I hit the corner of a bus! lol That was the worse cause I had to fill in pieces that were missing. Took more work, but it looks pristine as if it was never broken.
The reason I fixed it is because the cost was over 400 for a new mirror.
Long and short, take your time, do a good job and you will be pleased with the results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
davesaturn
davesaturn is on a distinguished road

Default Re: busted passenger mirror {OUCH}

THANKS for the advice

I called the Saturn dealer and got a price of $174 for a new mirror thingy. I'll try to repair with an option to replace if it fails

BTW: My previous saturn had one of the mirrors broke by a passer by (with a bad attitude). I found a replacement in a junk yard along with a new Drivers seat. It made everything look spiffy. I was very happy. A few days later, someone stole the car and set it on fire.

I love people.
Really I do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davesaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davesaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davesaturn is offline   Reply With Quote