SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #1
EvanVanVan
EvanVanVan is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Replacing full exhaust downpipe(+flex) vs cutting in new flex pipe?

I was changing my oil yesterday when I noticed holes in the exhaust pipe at bracket before the flex pipe. The braiding has also completely broken free and had slid off of the flex part. I see that holes are pretty common at that spot.

I'm wondering if it's preferable to cut out the flex pipe and replace just that part, or to replace the whole downpipe and only be forced to couple/weld once right in front of the cat instead of having to seal two spots on either side of the flex pipe? Also worried that any weld/coupling in front of the flex pipe will hinder replacing the front clamp/bracket.

FWIW, I'm thinking of just using Permatex muffler sealer and a clamp to temporarily/permanently-as-long-as-it-lasts put this exhaust pipe back together instead of finding someplace to weld it. I'm probably getting a new car in the next year or so, lol I just hope it lasts until then...

Also, I attached pictures of the sensor wires that look like they're no longer attached properly (the plastic clips seem to have broken). Does anyone have pictures of where the wires are supposed to be secured?

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170627_161706.jpg (164.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170627_162423.jpg (151.7 KB, 31 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EvanVanVan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EvanVanVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EvanVanVan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Replacing full exhaust downpipe(+flex) vs cutting in new flex pipe?

With 3rd gens (well, '99+) the only reliable fix is to cut out the bad section and weld in new pipe. Nobody aftermarket has reliably gotten the manifold flange height/angle and downpipe bend angle even close to correct like they have for '91-'98's.

New flex pipe = under $20
Welding = ~$50

after looking at the pictures:
I'd try to find someone with a welder to just fill in the holes around the clamp. Can't see how bad the flex pipe is but the exterior metal mesh isn't part of what seals up the exhaust in that section.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2

Thank you, yeah my first thought was just have some one weld the holes but then when I saw the walker new flex pipe I figured that'd be the better fix. But hearing (and seeing in Richpin's video) how difficult it is to weld the top of the front joint idk if I trust someone to do it properly/fully. I'm going to take another look at the flex pipe beneath the braid and will take pictures.

Another thought I had, about about a lot of Permatex sealer and a lot of rivets around the entire thing? I heard the rivets could loosen up over time, but I feel like it should last a while if I get enough of them in there to truly keep it form vibrating.

And oh yeah, the Amazon reviews did say the Walker downpipe had to be cut re-welded to work on 3rd gens, I forgot about that. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help EvanVanVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
PeterT
PeterT is on a distinguished road

Yeah, on my 99 sc2 w/275000 on it. I had from manifold exhaust back redone, and am having codes come up now Po404. When a vehicle gets so old, get ready to replace lots of parts. Hope to not break down in middle of street

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeterT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeterT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
PeterT
PeterT is on a distinguished road

Devil Re: Replacing full exhaust downpipe(+flex) vs cutting in new flex pipe?

But, omg my new glasspack, etc is badA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeterT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeterT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

EvanVanVan, Paint your oil pan soon. They are not that thick. Without paint, you will soon see drips on the driveway.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #7
Kaervak
Kaervak has a spectacular aura aboutKaervak has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
With 3rd gens (well, '99+) the only reliable fix is to cut out the bad section and weld in new pipe. Nobody aftermarket has reliably gotten the manifold flange height/angle and downpipe bend angle even close to correct like they have for '91-'98's.

New flex pipe = under $20
Welding = ~$50

after looking at the pictures:
I'd try to find someone with a welder to just fill in the holes around the clamp. Can't see how bad the flex pipe is but the exterior metal mesh isn't part of what seals up the exhaust in that section.
That's not entirely true. My 99 SL2 with a build date of 6-19-99 has a Bosal 0795190 down pipe and catalytic converter on it and it fits perfectly. There are no clearance issues with hitting the subframe or transmission and the flange is welded on with the correct angle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #8
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
EvanVanVan, Paint your oil pan soon. They are not that thick. Without paint, you will soon see drips on the driveway.
I take it they get rotted through from rust and then weep oil?
What kind of paint would be used to protect it?

1999 SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)
1999 SC1-156K at purchase(oct 2016)-215k(Oct 2019)
1996 SL2-116k- (oct 2019)
Dodging potholes should be a sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #9
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2

Any thoughts on riveting the pipe as a temporary-permanent fix? I would just use the standard aluminum ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about that...thanks for the tip!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #10
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasan308 View Post
I take it they get rotted through from rust and then weep oil?
What kind of paint would be used to protect it?
I apologize for the off-topic...
Por15 is the best. It is expensive. I found the "6-pack black" to be to most economical.
Here's an old pan...Rustoleum will need to be touched-up: It rusted thru. Note the sheetmetal screw and faucet washer.
This is the inside of the same pan (pictured above). It rusted thru from the outside. Note the sheetmetal screw:

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:52 AM   #11
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

+1 on the POR-15. I did this to my oil pan on my 99 SL2 project which had a pin hole due to rust. I embedded a patch of fiberglass mat into the POR-15 and added a few more coats over top. It worked like a charm. There are photos in post 134 of my thread.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote