SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
Brett22
Brett22 is on a distinguished road

Default 1998 sl2 front brake line leak no abs

Greeting to all here. I just joined but have been learning tons from this site for quite a few years. Thanks for all of the knowledge I have gained over the years.

Now comes my problem. I can't hardly believe it so I have to ask for your help. Brake pedal went to the floor just like that one day while driving. I thought I had a massive leak somewhere, but the mc res was full. Made it home and thoroughly checked every place I could think of, including pulling rear drums off and front tires to check calipers. Everything dry as a bone. I kept checking for days while trying to pump brakes that went to the floor, no leaks anywhere. So following the great info from this site, bought and bench bled new mc, installed, and got the one man bleeder kit from autozone to do the prelim bleeding before asking the wife for the final bleed. Oh, the pedal was beginning to show I now had pressure. I did the correct Saturn bleed rr-lf-lr-rf, keepinig the res full all the time.
Here is the part I can't hardly believe. I connected the bleed hose to the rf caliper and opened it. Of course lots of air came out, when out of nowhere I notice a steady drip from the front of the motor. I caught some in my hand, and it was brake fluid. Just like that. I never even pumped the brakes for that caliper. I just opened the bleeder. How in the world can this be possible? By the time I washed my hands and came back out, the mc was empty. Could there be something I'm missing? I am working off jack stands so I am not wanting to go under the car unless absolutely necessary. I spoke with autozone and they have a six foot line with the ends already prepared, but he want to see both ends of the old line, which means I'll have to cut the ends off forever ruining the line. Any and all help is welcomed to keep me from going nuts.

Last edited by Brett22; 03-16-2019 at 12:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brett22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brett22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brett22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: 1998 sl2 front brake line leak no abs

I just posted this in the ion forum. Was my experiences with my S Series. I also have a '98 non-abs car.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236680

My '98 thread is here. I had bad front brakes.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234273

Nicopp is awesome.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
Brett22

Thanks for the links. But to answer my question, do you think the brake line just started leaking at that particular time for no reason whatsoever?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Brett22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
Brett22

OK. Problem answered. After closer inspection and cleaning, I can see a hole in the top of the line close to where the line is fastened to the frame. Unfreakingbelievable!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
Brett22

IMG_20190316_140335272.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Passenger or driver side? RF should be the front passenger, but people often get confused about right & left.

If driver side it's almost as easy as an oil change to swap out. 2-3 bends, 1 solid line straight off the hanger at the store.

If passenger side I'd probably try to replace as little as possible, cutting and flaring 2-3in towards the MC from the current break. The alternative, for me, would be to run a new line on the firewall near the hood line (ugly as sin but keeps it well out of the rusting elements).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #7
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
If passenger side I'd probably try to replace as little as possible, cutting and flaring 2-3in towards the MC from the current break.
I disagree. This line was not bad to replace with nicopp. I've done it one with the engine in. Helps to be on ramps.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
Brett22

Thanks guys. I wrote a reply with a url in it and it just disappeared when I posted it so I'll try again without that. Bryan, didn't I see a post from you about running the line along the firewall? Ugly, but it worked. As I said before I'm working with jack stands and don't really want to get under the car. The guy at az says he a 6' line pre-made with fittings but wants to see both ends. I've PB blasted the line to the brake hose to death but still cannot get it loose, still trying. Also, is the line bubble flared, and do you think 6' is about the right length?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I ran mine through the stock location using the stock clips. No idea if 6' is good or not. You can easily pull out the the old line and use it to duplicate. If you want to channel your inner redneck you could grab the 6' and make it work, but I wouldn't.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #10
Brett22

Job completed yesterday. I'd like to boast about what a great mechanic I am, but the truth is, I got it done by answered prayers. Thank You Lord!
I bought a 6' steel line and a 5' line at az and the guy gave me a 3' line (no charge) to practice on, and the tube bending pliers. To rent the double flaring tool you have to buy it and then bring it back for a refund. The flaring tool just would not work to produce any kind of flare. Cranking down as hard as possible only produced a bent pipe with a deformed end. So I gave up on that idea and went to Advance for 25' of the nicopp tubing because they were the only store in town that had it in stock.
The same results happened with the copper tubing except it didn't bend the pipe just produced a deformed bubble flare. Multiple attempts never got one flare I would say looked even close. I watched enough and read enough to learn that a bubble flare is the first step of a double flair, and is to be done on the flat (not beveled) side of the vise. I gave up and called around for machine shops or mechanics to make the flares for me.
Time got away from me, so it was late when I found a shop to do it, about 20 minutes before he closed and he charged me $20. Maybe not fair, but it was done. Oh, I cut off 6' of the tubing and brought the fittings with me. I showed him the die from the flare tool I rented/bought and he said it looked very worn, I thought so too.
I followed the original lines as best I could without getting under the car. I mentioned working with jack stands, but forgot to mention my sloping driveway. I'm 64 now, feel like 34, but I ain't going out like that, with a car on top of me. Anyway, for future reference, if anyone else does this same job, mc to right front caliper, 5' would be just about perfect. I had to add a few coils (bent around a WD40 can) and a few extra bends in the wheel well to shorten up the line.
Thanks to you Bryan and Fetchit for your valuable advice...Brett

REWARD EXCELLENCE!